Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
CPBO

2 bus drivers attacked in Brooklyn

[float=left]post-5097-0-42374800-1348537822_thumb.jpg[/float]A psycho passenger pricked a Brooklyn bus driver in the shoulder with a syringe and then fled Monday, officials said.

Mark Salandy, 30, of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, was driving a B68 bus along Prospect Park Southwest when he noticed a passenger pacing back and forth, his relatives said.

“He was just a normal passenger,” said Salandy's fiancée, Vanessa Usai, 29. “He paid his fare. He didn't say anything.”

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-42374800-1348537822_thumb.jpg

A syringe attack? On the B68? In Windsor Terrace? Sheesh man, proves there's nowhere that's free from the crazies any more. B45 incident sounds slightly less scary, but still disgusting. Those shields are taking a little too long...

• Upvote 2

Disgusting and disgraceful, idk why people attack B/Os out of all people but tbh there are a lot of crazy people out there that are not in the right mindset and may not have control over their actions.... it's very disappointing and unfortunate...

• Upvote 2

Looks like the two dumbasses weren't even caught. Put those damn partitions up already. No surprise in this happening in Brooklyn though...

Edited by Brett

Looks like the two dumbasses weren't even caught. Put those damn partitions up already. No surprise in this happening in Brooklyn though...

What does Brooklyn have to do with it? One attack happened in a PEACEFUL neighborhood.... <_<

• Upvote 3

Regardless of where this is happening, there is now a clear trend in attacks on bus operators. Which is very alarming to personnel and riders alike. I hope the MTA takes a hint and stop dragging their feet. They need some way of instilling some order here on surface transit operations with these loser a**holes out there who have nothing better to do in life but to make life miserable for others. Friggin' lowlives.

• Upvote 1

There should have been a coordinated effort since the assault law was passed by the unions (ATU & TWU) and the MTA to make sure that the District Attorneys prosecuted these individuals to the fullest.This means following up on each and every case making sure that the individual does the time (not misdemeanor but felony time) and making sure that it is publicized in the print and non-print media. It seems that every few months another bus driver doing his/her job becames a victim and the reports and the blame game starts and then we hear absolutely nothing until the next bus driver becomes a victim.

What is the purpose of having a law on the books to protect bus drivers (or for that matter any transit personnel) and not enforcing it? A law that is not enforced is no law at all.

My heart goes out to all transit personnel that have been victims and will be victims in the future.

There aren't any partitions installed in the incoming C40LF order! >:(

What the heck is up in these passengers' heads that they have to resort to assault these Bus Driver/Operators!?

• Upvote 1

Meaning what exactly? Edited by Grand Concourse
  • Upvote 3

This is a total disgrace and is utterly disgusting. What is wrong with people? Bus operators (and everybody in transit) really do put their lives on the line everyday... Makes me sick reading this!

Take a look at Buschat post 276290 and it becomes clear why the attacks on bus drivers continue as the figures given (for Staten Island) may be applicable for the rest of the city. Taking it one step further, the law is not being enforced and the figures as to the number of perpetrators doing this type of crime doing time upstate is miniscule. It therefore sends a message that the law is basically is ineffective as it is not being totally enforced.

What disturbs me is that this was one of those laws that was proposed through a press conference , passed by legislators who did not want to be percieved as being soft on crime and then forgotten about when it came to making sure that the perpetrators do the felony time.

I am just plain tired of the "announcements" that "assaulting a bus driver is a felony" as based on the sample from Staten Island (and applying it throughout the city) it is not a felony at all.

Another operator assaulted on the B67 - hot coffee thrown at him.

That's truly crazy, I hope they don't do attacks on them. Poor bus driver... :(

Those people who assault need to be arrested by NYPD.

This is a total disgrace and is utterly disgusting. What is wrong with people? Bus operators (and everybody in transit) really do put their lives on the line everyday... Makes me sick reading this!

Yeah, I agree with you. Bus operators do their best to bring people to the areas where they drop off and those crazy people attack and assault them? That's totally crazy! I don't want to hear more bus driver attacks in the future.
  • Upvote 2

Ouch, poor guy. I would have totally gone off then and there.

The thing is that the person who assaulted him wasn't a passenger. It was a motorist who was parked illegally (or something like that), and the B/O argued with him and it reached that point.

Oh man, bus assaults on B68, B45, and just recently the B67. I have a feeling that the assaults are going to increase every year, and if I was a bus operator, I wouldn't be okay already. This is why I rather be a train operator when I grow up so no one can bother me while I'm inside the cab by myself, except when I have to stick my head out of the window.

I hope the bus drivers are alright though...

Just don't get off the bus...

One day an B/O is going to get killed for adhering to that rule.