BMT Astoria/Broadway Line ridership patterns

RollOver

Which is why I think they should send the (Q) up to Astoria 24/7 and make the (N) the part time line.

Well I am pretty sure the (MTA) would want the current service patterns that stay the way they are permanently or until further notice. Having more frequent (Q) service running every 4-5 minutes during most of rush hours means MUCH less frequent (R) service, especially along the 60th-59th tube and the Broadway local tracks above 34th Street.

I've noticed a lot of different problems lately on those lines between queens and manhattan which leads to the above question.I know that some trains terminate at 57th and 7th but still...maybe have a few R,s run via the (F)?

I've noticed quite some delays and stuff like that recently. I don't know if having those 3 lines running on the tubes is the problem. I don't recall there being that many problems early when the (Q) was extended, or when the (W) was running.

I've noticed a lot of different problems lately on those lines between queens and manhattan which leads to the above question.I know that some trains terminate at 57th and 7th but still...maybe have a few R,s run via the (F)?

I don't think it's any different from when the (W) ran. If anything it's the (N) switching back at Prince St to run over the bridge that's the cause for the slowing down. If they didn't need the (N) to provide a 'counter balance' for the bridge (2 services on both sides), they may as well have kept the (N) back in the tunnel with the (R) and then have the (N) switch back to the express at Pacific/Barclays.

I don't think it's any different from when the (W) ran. If anything it's the (N) switching back at Prince St to run over the bridge that's the cause for the slowing down. If they didn't need the (N) to provide a 'counter balance' for the bridge (2 services on both sides), they may as well have kept the (N) back in the tunnel with the (R) and then have the (N) switch back to the express at Pacific/Barclays.

I say don't switch it altogether then.Just leave it local till 59th.

Well I am pretty sure the (MTA) would want the current service patterns that stay the way they are permanently or until further notice. Having more frequent (Q) service running every 4-5 minutes during most of rush hours means MUCH less frequent (R) service, especially along the 60th-59th tube and the Broadway local tracks above 34th Street.

Well, it technically won't be any different than to just terminate some (Q) trains with all (N) trains. In the long run, I still think the (Q) would be the best line for Astoria in terms of handling that line on its own over the (N).

Sorry to change the subject (somewhat) but the question is more about can the (R) do 28/23/8/Prince by itself, as otherwise there would be no reason to merge/split anything south of Prince. Brooklyn is fine, the tube is also fine, trains can still move decently in the tube following another train, the point isn't to max out speed numbers in the 60th tube, its to keep the traffic moving.

That would require sending the (N) via the tunnel, which would increase travel times by a lot. I actually don't think that the Prince St merge is a problem; keep in mind that the (N) train used to merge at 34 St and it no longer does. Therefore, the (N) is equal to the way it was before. The problem is the (Q) merge at 34 St.

EDIT: that is, if the Prince St switches aren't slower than the ones at 34 St.

That would require sending the (N) via the tunnel, which would increase travel times by a lot. I actually don't think that the Prince St merge is a problem; keep in mind that the (N) train used to merge at 34 St and it no longer does. Therefore, the (N) is equal to the way it was before. The problem is the (Q) merge at 34 St.

Let's add that the (R) comes every six to eight minutes during rush hours and ten minutes other times. Plus the (Q) comes every four to five minutes. While the (N) is always coming every ten minutes. More frequent service only means more delays and congestion above Prince and 34th as well as the 60th-59th tube...

Prince St switch s/b is on time (clears at 12mph). Prince St switch n/b is not (I take it at 15 since there's a D20 going from 2 to 4). It is also a faster diverge sign going from 3 to 1. These are some of the things that slow the system down, the absense of signs on switches it is physically safe to go faster than 10. Problem is, system safety can enforce the rule on ANY switch, regardless of whether it makes sense or not. Therefore, many (N) go 10mph all the way into Prince. Believe you me, what a difference that would be made if (N) 's were in fact able to take that switch at 20. The same thing goes for southbound.

The (Q)'s needed on weekdays for sure. I just wished they could space them out better. It's not uncommon to see a Manhattan-bound (N) immediately followed by a (Q), then followed by a long wait until another (N) arrives (and vice versa). I'm told that bottlenecking is the main issue.

This is not just a problem with the (N) and (Q) trains but an issue that plagues the entire system. There have been so many times on the QBL when an (M) immediately followed the (R). And if you miss both, you're out of luck for the next 10-15 minutes . . .

May I remind you guys that the trains come once within ten minutes. Same happens with about every other line. How can the (MTA) fix this problem....?

I've been studying trains ever since I was little. I know that they pick up passengers for a minute or a few seconds. If trains come once every ten minutes within an hour, that's six trains. How are you guys going to say this otherwise....? Even if you do space them out a little so both can get crowded, it will still be the same type of pattern. So again, explain...

May I remind you guys that the trains come once within ten minutes.

Each individual line is supposed to come once every ten minutes over the weekend. However there are two trains on the Astoria line so it's supposed to be a train every 5 minutes. In addition to headways are 7 minutes for the (N) and (Q) as individual lines during rush hour, so that translates to 3 1/2 minute headways on the Astoria line.

Each individual line is supposed to come once every ten minutes over the weekend. However there are two trains on the Astoria line so it's supposed to be a train every 5 minutes. In addition to headways are 7 minutes for the (N) and (Q) as individual lines during rush hour, so that translates to 3 1/2 minute headways on the Astoria line.

That will cause more delays, gaps, and bunching, especially since the 60th-59th Street tube is only two tracks. This is completely inconsistent. The (R) shares tracks with the (N) and (Q) above 34th. That would be completely worse than now. You guys still have to realize this will result in delays than with the Broadway Express waiting for the Broadway Locals at Prince and 34th. There would be no such thing. Don't just focus on one single line, we have to pay more attention to the lines that the trains SHARE tracks with.

Let's say they send the (3) to the White Plains Road Line and what happens if there's a blockage or signal issue? I would be messing up service the entire 2/3/4/5 lines. Sure, Astoria residents are undeserved due to their high population and yes the bottleneck should be decreased but what about the design of the 60th-59th Street? What about the 49th Street local stop where most Astoria riders use for Rockefeller Center and for express service downtown as AndrewJC explain in another thread that had gotten locked? What about the (R) train that the (N) and (Q) trains share tracks with?

So you guys see why you have this type of service pattern? This is a PUBLIC transportation. This is a wide subway in New York City. Save for the (7) and (L) trains as well as the (1) and (6) (depending on the period), ALL other trains are not isolated. It just depends on the design of the tracks and switches as well as the two-tracked terminals where most capacity comes from (for example: Ditmars Boulevard, Flatbush Avenue, Jamaica Center etc etc). Hence why some rush hour (E)'s go to/from 179th via the (F)? Why do some rush hour (2) and (5) goes to/from Utica or New Lots via the (4) or (3)? And hence why do some (N) and (Q)'s start/end at 57th-7th at rush hour? Because of capacity on their terminals and frequency of headways at rush hour. And TBH, this is why I dislike the (MTA) alot more after those 2010 service cuts...Heck, even some (R)'s start/end at Canal at rush hour due to it coming every 6 minutes, being frequently between Canal Street-Upper Level and Bay Ridge-95th Street...

As you can clearly see why the timetables and headways are like that? Because of ridership. Increasing more service rather than running them at just 10 min headways respectively means more delays, gaps, and bunching. Delayed trains mean slow service. Hence why the (B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) always rank average on service regularity according to Straphangers. Take a look at the timetables and headways. Take a look at the DeKalb Avenue track designs. Heck, even most Eastern Parkway trains (most likely the (3) and (5)) get held to let the latter of which proceed first due to the design of the Nostrand Avenue Junction. It's just bad and the (MTA) schedules the trains to come at the same time mostly, especially since those trains will share tracks right after a station or get held to let the other proceed first...? That's why you have the service the way its set up right now...

Lower Broadway and 4th Avenue don't need two services. Only reason to run the (N) local below Canal is if the Manhattan Bridge is closed to Broadway trains or if the (R) is running shuttle service in Brooklyn.

If Astoria riders wan't more service, have an (N) go OOS before Canal and have it layover at City Hall or Whitehall.

It's a waste of track capacity to have some (N) trains regularly run OOS down the Broadway local tracks to City Hall or Whitehall.

Not necessarily. The (E) and (F) trains run on 4-minute headways during rush hours on the same tracks. No reason the (Q) and (R) can't do the same, and the (R) doesn't even need to run every four minutes. It can stay on its current 6-minute headways with the (Q) running on 4- or 5-minute headways. The only thing you wouldn't be able to do is run the (N), (Q) and (R) through the 60th Street tunnel at the same time with the (Q) on tighter headways.

Just a note, that perfectly evened out headway only exists for lines and areas immediately proceeding a terminal. It is difficult to maintain that throughout a route. So yes, (N)(Q) leave Astoria in perfect 5 min intervals during most the day. That changes as soon as one hits the tube. Yes the (M)(R) may leave at evenly split intervals out of CTL. That doesn't mean they'll arrive at CTL in that exact same way, too many variables on the road. In other words, QBL local receives more evened out service southbound than northbound. Trainmaster said something similar in the random throughts thread, through a different light.

Thanks for the clarification, TwoTimer. My comment regarding the spacing of the (N) and the (Q) is mainly about how the Astoria Line gets during my morning commute to work (Manhattan). Broadway's only three stops after Ditmars, so the headways shouldn't be so inconsistent. If there are delays on Ditmars-bound trains in the morning rush, have them skip a few stops in Queens to ensure there's even spacing on the trains headed back to the city. Having extra service is pointless if it's not effectively solving the issue of crowding.

Archived