Nation’s children push back against Michelle Obama-backed school lunch regs

mark1447

Children and parents across the country are fed up with the restrictive new school meal regulations implemented by the Department of Agriculture under the “Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010,” which has long been touted by first lady Michelle Obama.

The standards — which cap meal calories at 650 for students in kindergarten through fifth grade, at 700 calories for middle school students and 850 for high school students — also dictate the number of breads, proteins, vegetables and fruits children are allowed per meal.

A spokeswoman for Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King, who earlier this month introduced legislation to roll back the new standards, told The Daily Caller that King’s office has heard more complaints about the issue during the past few weeks than any other.

“This year, we’ll be hungry by 2:00,” one student, Zach Eck, told KAKETV in Kansas. “We would eat our pencils at school if they had nutritional value.”

Iowa mom Robin Wissink told TheDC that she now provides her autistic daughter Molly, a junior in high school, with a bag lunch because her school’s new menu is so unappealing. Students at St. Mark’s in Colwich, Kan. have also been “brown bagging” their meals.

And some student-athletes in Wisconsin are arguing that the calorie caps hit them especially hard, given their intense workouts and scrimmages.

“A lot of us are starting to get hungry even before the practice begins,” Mukwonago High senior Nick Blohm told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “Our metabolisms are all sped up.”

The new lunch standards have led to the removal of some old food favorites, including a particularly popular item at one school in upstate New York: chicken nuggets.

“Now they’re kind of forcing all the students to get the vegetables and fruit with their lunch, and they took out chicken nuggets this year, which I’m not too happy about,” Chris Cimino, a senior at Mohonasen High School in upstate New York, told the Associated Press, which gave the rules a “mixed grade.”

Read the Rest: http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/22/nations-children-push-back-against-michelle-obama-backed-school-lunch-regs/#ixzz27SgcjQnx

The school lunches were crappy as it is, now they are taking away what little is left that kids actually want to eat.

I remember when I was in high school, my lunch (which was from the school cafeteria was a turkey sammich with bacon, lettuce and tomato on it plus mayo, french fries, and a snapple iced tea. Who knows if they even still give out fries anymore or snapple, probably been replaced with horrible baked chips and generic iced tea.

The school lunches were crappy as it is, now they are taking away what little is left that kids actually want to eat.

I remember when I was in high school, my lunch (which was from the school cafeteria was a turkey sammich with bacon, lettuce and tomato on it plus mayo, french fries, and a snapple iced tea. Who knows if they even still give out fries anymore or snapple, probably been replaced with horrible baked chips and generic iced tea.

Dont get me started with school food. The ONLY good thing to eat was ether breakfast, well known branded items, some fruits and the vending...

The Cheeseburgers REALLY disgusted me the most. Looked like it was digested already.

If I gotta get worst, TWICE in my life time, I open up a milk cart to find a dead cockroach inside... Thats what really got my flying off...

Snapple is not sold anymore. Arizona is sold outside of the cafeteria and is VERY popular.

Fries still remain. Remember, in the eyes of the law, its a veggie. All that I've noticed with the new law are smaller portions, higher prices, and no more water. Not a large drop in business, student complaints, or extra garbage.

Food and sweet beverages are not the problem.

When I was a kid I used to run around playgrounds in evenings after dinner, ride my bike, and on half day Fridays go play roller hockey with my friends. We'd shoot hoops in the park, even though I was never great at it, play two hand touch football in Central Park, and find medium sized baseball fields or anywhere with a convenient fence and have home run derbies. We'd race each other down the street walking home from school, and tag up on traffic lights. Hell, we'd even organize games among the grade where two classes would play each other and get decent turnout, and do something fun like all rollerblade there. And we had gym classes, where everyone HAD to do the exercises, and if you didn't you got a lame frustrating punishment like writing out definitions of words or something so tedious you had to hate it that eventually you just did the exercise.

And when we were done we ate NY pizza, went to McDonald's, drank the sugariest drinks of sugar, got our burgers deluxe at the diner, and made sure to get a Frosty when we went to Wendy's. And we didn't wind up fat.

The problem isn't the food, it's the fact these kids sit on their ass all day, don't exercise (not even in gym class since there is no discipline in gym class and it's more of an "optional participation" where the lazy ones can just have a social club and walk in a circle and no one makes them MOVE - I know, I assistant taught them at one point to fill a requirement for high school graduation...also note I did NOT run things that way). Kids today eat the same greasy spoon meals we did as kids...and then they go home and play video games and watch TV.

Food isn't the problem people. Eating salad with no dressing every day for the rest of your life will leave you just as unhealthy if you don't get off your ass, off the computer, off the couch, out from behind the video game controller, and DO SOMETHING.

When parents, lawmakers, and educators finally get this through their addled little nanny state minds, the country can be a better place.

Want to discourage obesity? Raise premiums for the obese and lower them for the non-obese. If an 18-25 year old driver with no accident history has to pay more for car insurance because they are a "risky pool" then the fatties who are *THE* biggest risk pool in the health industry ought to also...don't like it? Ditch the fatkins diet and GET MOVING, and when you no longer scale as obese, you can pay less too.

there is nothing thats free, somebody pays for it.

joe

Yes, however the recipients don't pay directly.

only very low income kids got free lunch, the rest pay for it.

Bullcrap. The majority (around 93%) of student population at my school fills out a free/reduced lunch application, and around 80% falsified their income so they could recieve it "free". In fact, the teachers practically encouraged it. For the first week, my math teacher practically begged for people to take them, he looked shocked when I refused.

Bullcrap. The majority (around 93%) of student population at my school fills out a free/reduced lunch application, and around 80% falsified their income so they could recieve it "free". In fact, the teachers practically encouraged it. For the first week, my math teacher practically begged for people to take them, he looked shocked when I refused.

oh my god, are you telling me that this government run program is wrought with fraud? Im totally shocked that people would lie to take advantage of it. a program that my taxes help fund. I know, Ill pay more taxes so more people can lie and mooch off the system, what a great idea. NOT

I am not against helping people who really need it, but this is just another example of a good government program thats been hijacked with fraud, just like every program is. This mindset, that is the status quo of beating the system by defrauding it is another reason that we are in the financial mess we are in. Until the mindset is changed back to a personal responsibility mindset, throwing more of our tax money at it will do only one thing, encourage more fraud, thats why I, and millions of other Americans are against giving the government more of our hard earned tax money , without having accountability. every family that lied on that application should be made to pay a fine and all the teachers who encouraged the fraud should be fired.

joe

Obama's police/nanny state at work again. I heard that there's some school boards now banning kids from bringing in their own lunch too, I'm dead ass, google it.

Pretty soon they're gonna tell us what we can and can't eat on our own time, no wait they're already doing that (*cough* BLOOMBERG *cough*).

oh my god, are you telling me that this government run program is wrought with fraud? Im totally shocked that people would lie to take advantage of it. a program that my taxes help fund. I know, Ill pay more taxes so more people can lie and mooch off the system, what a great idea. NOT

I am not against helping people who really need it, but this is just another example of a good government program thats been hijacked with fraud, just like every program is. This mindset, that is the status quo of beating the system by defrauding it is another reason that we are in the financial mess we are in. Until the mindset is changed back to a personal responsibility mindset, throwing more of our tax money at it will do only one thing, encourage more fraud, thats why I, and millions of other Americans are against giving the government more of our hard earned tax money , without having accountability. every family that lied on that application should be made to pay a fine and all the teachers who encouraged the fraud should be fired.

joe

It happens more often rhan you would think. Plus, if you recieve any other benefit, which many have falsified their income to recieve, you're already qulified.

U.S. Citizen tax dollars at work.

We do have baked chips now, but we still have regular chips. Also now that I think about it, I don't think they've been serving snapples anymore... I'll have to check tomorrow...

I don't know about the rest of the school, but only two other people get lunch every day, probably cause lunch is $2.50 now, so many people just bring it from home.

Obama's police/nanny state at work again. I heard that there's some school boards now banning kids from bringing in their own lunch too, I'm dead ass, google it.

That's the most asinine thing iv'e read in a while. This is complete BS, and won't solve anything. It's not like people are filling their bags with stuff from the McDonalds down the block, they fill it with food that they like BETTER than the school's food, even tough the food they bring isn't unhealthy. I think the worst thing anybody brings at my table (For the most part, my table is the only one that brings their own lunch), is a few Oreo's. And we're talking about three a day here. This is just going to make kids unhealthier by making them skip lunch, because I know they aren't going to pay $50 a month for what they consider to be "crap". (It's not that bad especially when compared to the lunches in the city, but a few of these guys come from private school)

Also, I think they stopped this but last year, they literally dipped the pizza in oil. I always had to wash my hands after lunch because it was just that bad.

This also explains why we had nachos twice this month. (Normally it's only once a month)

In addition, yesterday they had sweet potatoes for lunch as a side. Me and only one other person in the ENTIRE 8th grade ate them. (They tasted phenomenal, but looked unappealing to some people)

After school, most of the kids in my brother's school head to McDonald's or Burger King.

Yeah...

There's a McDonalds down the block from our school, but iv'e never seen anybody over there.

(Altough I do see an awful lot of Holy Names students, which is odd because it's way, way, way down New Scotland...)

Food isn't the problem people. Eating salad with no dressing every day for the rest of your life will leave you just as unhealthy if you don't get off your ass, off the computer, off the couch, out from behind the video game controller, and DO SOMETHING.

THIS. My fitness professor drives this through us all the time. You want to become healthy, you need a proper diet, exercise and kick the other risk factors that drive up the chances of all these diseases and ailments. Hell for her class, there's a lab component that we have to partake in and keep journals, on top of the work from the lecture class.

There's a McDonalds down the block from our school, but iv'e never seen anybody over there.

(Altough I do see an awful lot of Holy Names students, which is odd because it's way, way, way down New Scotland...)

After school is done I almost always see kids flocking over to one of the fast food joints. Your case must be the exception.

Archived