Nation’s children push back against Michelle Obama-backed school lunch regs

mark1447

People wouldn't complain if the lower-calorie food wasn't complete garbage...

i.e. soggy fruit/veggie, horrid milk, gross meat products...

I don't see the difference between what they're serving now and what they served before in terms of quality, so why the uproar now? Before you had crappola burgers, and soggy tater tots and crappola pizza...

Just to add to Subway Guy's response I had gym classes in junior high and high school where one of the requirements was to climb a rope suspended from the ceiling, touch the ceiling,and descend down that rope to the floor. Pushups, situps, squats were mandatory tasks for boys. Everyone had gym class, male and female. In my high school, Erasmus Hall, one had to swim a lap in the pool in order to graduate. It was no problem for me and my friends because we all swam at the Flatbush Boy's Club 5 days a week every summer from the time we were 12 years old. The key to fighting obesity, and to keep the nanny staters off your back is physical activity. Organized or not it's always been a key to better health. Unfortunately it appears that many of today's parents have abdicated that responsibility and left it up to outsiders(gov't) and then they complain about it. McDonalds and the like may not be the most healthy things for a child but, in my opinion, sitting in front of a computer or gaming console for hours on end is worse for a child or young adult. Carry on.

The problem isn't the food, it's the fact these kids sit on their ass all day, don't exercise (not even in gym class since there is no discipline in gym class and it's more of an "optional participation" where the lazy ones can just have a social club and walk in a circle and no one makes them MOVE -

Back in the day before youtube and facebook and the R160s, I used to do that in gym class, when I showed up. I used to hate gym class when I was in high school, it was a waste of time in my opinion.

I never liked gym, but that was because everyone else was better than me, and the best always played with the best.

I'm not obese, and I've stayed at a constant 160-170 pounds for the last two or three years ago.

I just have no interest in sports, never have, never will

In hs, I dreaded gym. I wasn't the athletic type and it was a pita to get changed and run back up a few flights of stairs to my next class. In junior and senior year things were a little better when i got gym as last or early before a break. Last 2 years we didn't need to do the standard exercises and could either play basketball or run around the court. The downside is if we did neither, then it was exercise.

But basically, if schools have regular gym periods, then there's no point in all this portion or low calorie lunch crap. Otoh, if this was a cost cutting measure to get students to bring in their own food, then good job on the penny pinching.

The students who participate in athletics have a legitimate argument---and would be better served by having the district hire a nutritionist to design their meals. The non-athletes, however, should not have bad eating habits enabled by the government through tax dollars.

I see a mix of merit and whine.

And neither do foods loaded with salt, grease and other crappola...

You can get a full by just eating whopper then a sallad lol. Also why does eating healthy means Fruit and vegetables? its like the government whats you to be a vegetarian LOL. Chicken has a good sources of Protein, just don't eat it fried ''MMMM Grilled Chicken. :)

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of healthy food choices out there makes you full but there not a lot of them and some don't even taste great depends on your taste buds.

You can get a full by just eating whopper then a sallad lol. Also why does eating healthy means Fruit and vegetables? its like the government whats you to be a vegetarian LOL. Chicken has a good sources of Protein, just don't eat it fried ''MMMM Grilled Chicken. :)

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of healthy food choices out there makes you full but there not a lot of them and some don't even taste great depends on your taste buds.

Because quite frankly your meat intake should not be the majority of what you're eating. Meat provides things like protein, but you don't need that much of it and in fact you could eat it just a few times a week and be just fine. It comes down to portion sizes. You should be eating some fruits, vegetables and meat. Certain types of seafood are good as well. The problem is kids are not being educated about proper portion sizes, so they'll eat a whole thing of pasta with nothing else and think they had a meal when the pasta should be part of an entire meal.

In short food in the proper sizes and moderation along with exercise goes a long way. Other folks made good points about their eating habits and exercise. When I was in high school I ate junk as well, but I played hockey on weekends and had gym to keep me in physical shape AND while we ate junkfood, the portion sizes paled in comparison to what they are today. It goes back to the American culture.... Bigger is supposedly always better.... Bigger car, bigger house, bigger size portions...

Naturally these kids will be up in arms because they haven't been taught about proper portion sizes and they've been eating way more than they should be so they'd argue that they're being underfed. In due time their metabolism would adjust.

LOL I'm a Junior in HS now, and in my gym class (every other 7 days), you don't have to play or do anything.. Me and my friends just change into clothes and sit on the side and we get credit (got a 94 in gym last year just by doing that) idk if it is because I am in catholic school or not, tbh... I am not obese, I'm actually quite skinny, I have lost weight by walking during my transitfanning and hangout trips. One doesn't have to do gym or sports to stay healthy, just some type of physical activity....

LOL I'm a Junior in HS now, and in my gym class (every other 7 days), you don't have to play or do anything.. Me and my friends just change into clothes and sit on the side and we get credit (got a 94 in gym last year just by doing that) idk if it is because I am in catholic school or not, tbh... I am not obese, I'm actually quite skinny, I have lost weight by walking during my transitfanning and hangout trips. One doesn't have to do gym or sports to stay healthy, just some type of physical activity....

Gym/sports are just activities for kids that are generic enough anyone can do it and can be done in the confines of a school without interfering with anything else going on, which is why they are chosen.

Railfanning is not a physical activity...as a matter of fact, railfans as a whole (with a few exceptions, of course) tend to be a very out of shape population.

If you're slim now, good on you, but everyone has a different metabolism and over time it slows down. Activity allows people who eat a certain way to burn off what they need to in order to keep a healthy physique.

Obesity growing has less to do with what's in food as it does with the increasing hours Americans spend in front of televisions, on phones, video games, and staring at computer screens, and not moving around. It's worse in rural areas because people drive everywhere so the only walking they do is in the house.

Gym/sports are just activities for kids that are generic enough anyone can do it and can be done in the confines of a school without interfering with anything else going on, which is why they are chosen.

Railfanning is not a physical activity...as a matter of fact, railfans as a whole (with a few exceptions, of course) tend to be a very out of shape population.

If you're slim now, good on you, but everyone has a different metabolism and over time it slows down. Activity allows people who eat a certain way to burn off what they need to in order to keep a healthy physique.

Obesity growing has less to do with what's in food as it does with the increasing hours Americans spend in front of televisions, on phones, video games, and staring at computer screens, and not moving around. It's worse in rural areas because people drive everywhere so the only walking they do is in the house.

I agree with that to a degree... I do agree about your railfan comment and also the lack of exercise, but portion sizes have become out of control, not to mention what folks are eating. Now it would be one thing if people were eating 4 apples a day or tons of broccoli or something healthy but the portion sizes are bigger and usually not healthy stuff. When you combine that with the lack of exercise these days it just exacerbates the problem. Ideally walking for example is great and I do a lot of it, but you need something to get the heartbeat going to get some real physical activity.

Well, for what it's worth, they say the recommended amount of excercise is 20-30 minutes a day or something like that. If you're a regular transit rider, you could probably fit that in just walking to/from the station and walking up/down the stairs.

Yeah, I know you were talking in general, but I'm not even sure how valid that statement is.

Well, for what it's worth, they say the recommended amount of excercise is 20-30 minutes a day or something like that. If you're a regular transit rider, you could probably fit that in just walking to/from the station and walking up/down the stairs.

Yeah, I know you were talking in general, but I'm not even sure how valid that statement is.

When i go transitfanning, I walk for hours... In my recent walking trip in SE Queens, I walked for about 3 hours and maybe 7 or more miles, round trip.

Even better if your bus home runs at 30 minute frequencies and you have to catch up to it ;)

I feel lucky I didn't do public school for the majority of my years in School, all private school, and one residential school that actually the staff would eat the things in the cafeteria. So yeah, no sh1tty lunch other than summer school that's not in the said residential school.

Archived