LIRR engineer schedules?

LIBusdriver349

I can't speak for LIRR specifically (hopefully someone from there will chime in) but chances are the jobs are picked from a run book based on seniority. The run book has listed the specifics of every available job (hours, rest days and pay). Then there's the whole bid and bump system. Open jobs go up for bid and get awarded based on seniority. On the flip side, persons coming back from long term sick and similar circumstances bump jobs based on their seniority.

I can't speak for LIRR specifically (hopefully someone from there will chime in) but chances are the jobs are picked from a run book based on seniority. The run book has listed the specifics of every available job (hours, rest days and pay). Then there's the whole bid and bump system. Open jobs go up for bid and get awarded based on seniority. On the flip side, persons coming back from long term sick and similar circumstances bump jobs based on their seniority.

It's the same as MNRR where jobs are picked by seniority based where the higher you are the better you get to pick your job. Most Engineers and crew pick there surrounding their personal preference like most like to pick a job where they will deadhead closer to home or some like working with the same crew members they worked for years with or some prefer diesel jobs and you have some who prefer yard jobs ,roustabouts and protect jobs. But seniority is key just like TA.

I figured it was like the bus company, but i'd love to see how theyre runs and how that book is set up! and how the schedules work!

I don't know if there are any Engineers on this forum and I seriously doubt they will post timetables especially one with some years.

I don't know if there are any Engineers on this forum and I seriously doubt they will post timetables especially one with some years.

There are a few Engineers here and I'm sure they'll can make 1 replica or draft. I mean, they could just give a basic drawing of what it looks like with a few time examples. That shouldn't be a problem I guess.

There are a few Engineers here and I'm sure they'll can make 1 replica or draft. I mean, they could just give a basic drawing of what it looks like with a few time examples. That shouldn't be a problem I guess.

Honestly this is a public forum and the way the LIRR has been ridiculed and eyeball by news prints for wages they screamed is unjustified ,it wouldn't be good idea to post a Engineers daily run. They would twist it and run away with it and all of the sudden crew members aren't working enough for their paycheck. Same goes for MNRR and TA. It's bad enough our salaries are posted on a public website. I wouldn't do it.

All new york state employee information is public from SUNY to the LIRR

i.e. from the first page of hits.

http://new-york-empl.../Steven-W-Diana

But in comparison its the DEP that is really the state agency that makes it rain.

Not sure why someone would be interested in engineer schedules, but given those lovely 1 2 am runs; i cant see how someone would see that be oh so envious of that job.

Not sure why someone would be interested in engineer schedules, but given those lovely 1 2 am runs; i cant see how someone would see that be oh so envious of that job.

People are envious of the $$$$, period!

Looking from the outside in they don't see the down side like missing your kid's ball game, birthday, anniversary, or that holiday gathering. So while some of these sour puss wall street exec's (or anyone else) moans that MTA employees make too much money, They're not complaining sitting at home getting fat on Thanksgiving while we have to be away from our families and work. Or watching their kids eyes light up Christmas morning while we have to work. The trains don't run themselves.

All new york state employee information is public from SUNY to the LIRR

i.e. from the first page of hits.

http://new-york-empl.../Steven-W-Diana

But in comparison its the DEP that is really the state agency that makes it rain.

I guess you don't read Newsday. I said nothing about being envious of Engineer jobs and yes I said all our salaries are on public website. And DEP doesn't even come close to the exposure like the LIRR ,MNRR and TA when attacking work rules,wages and pension systems the media aka wall street thinks is too cushy for blue collars. There is work class warfare going on ever since the economy hit the crapper ,blue collar workers and unions have been under attack in all trades. Some things just don't need to be posted now if a Engineer wants to pm a example to LI Bus a timetable run or take it to the crew room then there shouldn't be a problem.

Hello all,

i was wondering if anyone had any idea of how the schedules worked for the lirr engineers. i realize there are probably thousands of runs but is there any structure like the bus companies of how engineers pick runs and whatnot? any info or actual run information would be great!

There are significant differences between a bus company and the LIRR. Bus company employees sign up at the depot. The LIRR has multiple "home terminals" to sign up: Penn Station, Brooklyn, Jamaica Station, Morris Park Yard, Long Beach, Oyster Bay, Ronkonkoma, Huntington, Bablyon, Speonk, West Hempstead, Port Washington and Port Jefferson. (I think I got them all.) Montauk, Long Island City, nor Greenport are home terminals. Early AM trains to Greenport and Montauk are run to position them for the AM rush to the city. Late PM trains from these locations are used to return employees to their home terminal which is Jamaica Station for conductors and Morris Park for engineers.

I wrote about this in February based on a 1986 assignment book. A LIRR engineer wrote that not much has changed in 25 years. Assignments are about 8 hours a day. Engineers and conductors have to be qualified on EVERY branch. A Bablyon engineer can work to Penn Station, run a round trip to Port Washington, followed by a trip to Long Beach and then go home to Bablyon.

A bus company has split shifts where an employee works a rush hour shift, is off duty for about 4 hours, and then goes back to work for the PM rush. Employees with a lot of seniority can work a straight shift. The LIRR only has straight shifts.

A Metro North conductor told me that Grand Central home terminal employees can work more than one line in a day. Employees at the outer limits (no connection to the TV show) spend their entire day on their home line.

I believe LIC is a home a terminal because of the yard next to it and several PM trains do start there.

LIC is NOT a home terminal. PM trains that originate there layed over from the AM rush. The AM crews went to Jamaica to mark off. If LIC was a home terminal, an employee's day would BEGIN and END at LIC. PM employees deadhead from Jamaica on a deadhead train to LIC.

A Metro North conductor told me that Grand Central home terminal employees can work more than one line in a day. Employees at the outer limits (no connection to the TV show) spend their entire day on their home line.

That sounds right being GCT based runs can have trains on multiple lines built into it. Also conductors and engineers must be qualified on the lines they operate on. Asst conductors do not have to be qualified on the line.

and i'd also like to see how the breaks in between are, meal periods or if any of that exists etc

Run assignments cover a week. There is no daily assignment list. Pick a home terminal, AM or PM, and I'll post a weekly work assignment.

Yes, there's a minimum 35 minute meal period. A work assignment changes if the engineer works on a weekend.

well as many as you can would be great you can private message me if you like......

the terminals i'd like to see are Port Jefferson, Port Washington, Ronkonkoma the most morning or afternoon doesn't matter....and you don't pick for 3 months like bus operators? every week you pick instead

thanks for the info about meal periods as well!....and how does it change then?

You need to look at the schedule before jumping to conclusions. There are more westbound trains than eastbound trains in the AM rush so it wouldn't make sense for everybody to sign up in city terminal zone.

x means first 35 minute meal period available

NOTE: These assignments are based on 1986 schedules:

Crew 1 Morris Park-Jamaica

Mon to Fri

Report Engr 12:03 AM

Train 12:33 AM

2 LV: Jamaica 1:03 AM Arr: Montauk x4:03 AM

11 Lv: Montauk 5:05 Arr LI City 8:46 AM

Engine crew- engine and/or equipment to Morris Park as directed

Train crew-equipment ot Jamaica as directed

Release Engr 10:01 AM

Train 9:46 AM

Sat-Sun

Report Engr 12:03 AM

Train 12:33 AM

4000 Lv Jamaica 1:03 Arr Montauk x3:56 AM

4009 Lv Montauk 6:55 Arr Jamaica 9:48 AM

Release Engr: 10:18

Train 10:03

Relief Days: Sunday-Monday

Crew 19 Mon to Friday

Report Engr 5:17 PM

Train 5:47 PM

26 Lv. Jamaica 6:17 Arr. Speonk 8:06 PM

DH to Jamaica

Release Engr 11:02 PM

Train 10:57

Port Jefferson

Crew 42 Mon to Friday

Report 7:49 AM

615 Lv Pt Jeff 8:19 AM Arr LI City x10:18 AM

656 Lv LI City 2:44 Arr Pt Jeff 5:31

Release 6:11 PM

New York

Crew 100 Report 3:00 AM

88 Lv NY 3:15 Arr Bablyon x4:24 AM

105 Lv Bablyon 6:44 Arr NY 7:48 AM

1608 Lv NY 8:04 Arr Huntington 9:10

1629 Lv Huntington 9:44 Arr NY 10:48

Release 10:53

This information is beautifully formatted now. I don't know what it's going to like when I press the post button.

where did you get these time tables and it looks like engineers have a lot of time in between runs....i wonder if they've cut down a lot on that like the bus companies

I bought the book at the Gaithersburg, MD railroadiana show which is coming up on Nov 4.

Crew 100 doesn't have a long layover. Crew 42 has a long layover because the engineer stays on duty at LIC to make the return trip. Look at crew 1, who returns to Jamaica from LIC.

You can't always go by the time tables to determine how much time an engineer (or conductor) has between trains. For example there's a Metro North run that a train arrives GCT @ 7:38 and the next train departs GCT @ 8:20. That calculates to 38 minutes between. What isn't told is after the train unloads the passengers the train crew has to yard the train, then get to the next train 20 minutes prior to departure by rule. The latter doesn't always happen because of quick turns, delays, etc.

Prior to departure the engineer is responsible for the cab signal test and brake test and the conductor is responsible that the train is set up properly (ASI, brake test, doors trainline, etc).

Archived