LIRR engineer schedules?

LIBusdriver349

I'm pretty sure that cab signals of each operating end only have to be tested once every 24 hours.

Depending on the carriers terminology:

A Daily Cab Signal Test has to be performed within 24 hours of a scheduled departure. This gets done by a qualified maintenance person.

A Cab Signal Departure Test must be performed prior to departure from any terminal or turnaround point. This is done by the engineer taking possession of the equipment.

Maybe the later is Metro North specific?

Daily brake and power testing ,signal and equipment is performed by car inspectors.

Automatic Speed Control (ASC) must be tested before departing and brake test slips are valid 24 hours if beyond that all of these are done by the Engineer

but still the least amount of time crew 100 had was 2 hours and 20 minutes.....all of them had huge gaps in between each gap you're telling me they don't get breaks to get out of the seat after each run?

Of course they do. But it depends on the job when and where. Just to add if the LIRR is a dream job then pursue it. I know a couple or people who use to work at LI Bus and came over as CAM's. Just keep a close eye on the employment website. The number of CAM's who started there and moved up to Engineer and other transportation crafts is huge . The CAM to Engineer transition has been going on for decades. I know a couple of Engineers with 20yrs plus who still pay CAM union dues. Good Luck and keep trying.

but still the least amount of time crew 100 had was 2 hours and 20 minutes.....all of them had huge gaps in between each gap you're telling me they don't get breaks to get out of the seat after each run?

No. 2 hours 20 mintues was the LONGEST time between trips. There was only 16 minutes between trains 105 aqnd 1608. Engineers don't always go out on the next available trip. Between 4:24 and 6:44 AM, Bablyon engineers began their day. You have to understand that one of the rules of crew dispatching is to minimize deadheading. If the crew 100 goes to work on the next trip, there may not be an available train for a Bablyon crew to work back to Bablyon during the day.

Here's another example

Port Jefferson

Crew 45 Mon-Fri

report 1:36 PM

653 Lv: Port Jeff 2:06 PM Arr Hunt 2:55 PM

654 Lv: Hunt 3:26 PM Arr Port Jeff 4:11 PM

657 Lv: Port Jeff 4:40 PM Arr Hunt 7:57 PM

670 Lv: Hunt 8:29 PM Arr Port Jeff 9:15 PM

Release 9:20 PM

I noticed that the schedule for 657 looks suspicious so I checked the current timetable. After 4:06, the next train from Port Jeff to Huntington is at 8:34 PM, a gap of 4:30. This is because most of the line is single track and conflicting moves are eliminated. I checked the schedule for train 657 from the May 18, 2009 ETT and find it had to wait for meets with eastbound trains at Stony Brook, Smithtown, and Kings Park to clear the single track. Turnaround times at Port Jeff and Huntington are relatively short.

Crew 45 doesn't get a meal break. You didn't carefully read that x denotes the FIRST 35 minute period available when a meal period can be afforded. There isn't 35 minutes between trains so there's no meal period. That's because of the schedule calls for a short turnaround at Port Jeff and Huntington.

where's 45's lunch break?

also what are CAM's??

car appearance maintainers (cleaners). Also just my opinion. Breaks are the very least to worry in becoming a Engineer. Passing 2 phases of training is the hardest Engineer program in the country. Classes have been known to start with 20 and end with just 3 remaining. Just my two cents.

if i have to i would definitely do it.....yes i know the training is very difficult i understand that.....but i was just wondering how they were structured....can you post a greenport run and a ronkonk run as well?!.....and so basically crew 45 would eat in their smaller break but it wouldnt be considered the mandatory

if i have to i would definitely do it.....yes i know the training is very difficult i understand that.....but i was just wondering how they were structured....can you post a greenport run and a ronkonk run as well?!.....and so basically crew 45 would eat in their smaller break but it wouldnt be considered the mandatory

I'm finished posting assignments. I don't think you understand the big picture. If you don't have 35 minutes between assignments, you can't have a mandatory meal period.

Write back after you finish the first level of training.

i understand that there isn't a mandatory meal period but for example for crew 45, 653 arrives at huntington at 255. 654 doesn't leave until 326, so this is a 36 min layover but is what you're saying that there isn't enough time with other things the engineer has to do?

I'm just copying from the job book. There's no symbol for mandatory meal period for this job.

Archived