Global bacon shortage "unavoidable," group says.

KeystoneRegional

(CBS News) - "BLTs next year might have to forego the B, according to a British trade group.

Britain's National Pig Association, "the voice of the British pig industry,"

warned recently that a global shortage of bacon and pork "is now unavoidable" because of shrinking herds.

The trade group reported Thursday that annual pig production for Europe's main pig producers fell across the board between 2011 and 2012, a trend that "is being mirrored around the world." The group tied the decline to increased feed costs, an effect of poor harvests for corn and soybeans.

Even though the pig association issued its dire prediction as part of a campaign to get British supermarkets to pay pig farmers more for their products, the possibility of a pork shortage received plenty of coverage in American news outlets.

But the projected decline isn't news to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In its

monthly outlook report (PDF) from August, the department linked a reduction next year in the United States to this year's drought in the Midwest. The government expects corn and soybean meal prices to go up and hog producers to cut production in an attempt to control losses in their operating costs."

My consumption of pork was never high to begin with, so this bacon shortage won't matter to me much. Want a deterrent to eating pork, cook up some bacon, let the grease at the bottom of the pan sit. When it cools look at it. Ask yourself if you want all that fat in your arteries.

I now almost always eat Turkey bacon so i dont think i am affected by this crisis. :D

Great. The fat content isn't so high, however the sodium level is just a bit higher than that of regular bacon.

Man you would be jealous of all the $0.99 Buttterball turkey bacon that was avaliable for purchase once at my local 99 Only Cents Store back in '07.

Archived