Light-bulb ban leads to hoarding in Europe, is U.S. next?

mark1447

There is plenty of fear, uncertainty and doubt out there over the upcoming federal ban on incandescent light bulbs.

The very thought of losing that pear-shaped giver of warm, yellow light drove Europeans to hoard Edison's invention as the European Union's Sept. 1 deadline on incandescent lamps approached.

China's ban on incandescent lamps that use 100 watts or more of power starts Oct. 1. The ban expands to cover any light bulbs that use more than 60 watts in 2014 and to 15 watts in 2016.

In the U.S., the situation is different. The Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA) of 2007 is not technically a ban. It's an energy efficiency standard that requires all screw-in light bulbs (also known as lamps) to use 30% less power, beginning with 100-watt bulbs this year. The end standard requires bulbs to use 65% less energy by 2020.

If a manufacturer could produce an Edison incandescent bulb that used 30% less power today, the maker could sell it. Since manufacturers can't make such a bulb, the EISA essentially becomes a ban on inefficient lamps.

When suppliers run out of stock, consumers and businesses will have to replace traditional bulbs with more energy-efficient alternatives. They will have three choices: halogen incandescent bulbs, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) or light-emitting diodes (LEDs).

In the U.S., EISA standard requirement for 100-watt bulbs began last January. The ban on 75-watt bulbs goes into effect Jan. 1, 2013.

The deadline for the most popular bulbs, the 60-watt and 40-watt lamps, is Jan. 1, 2014, and will have the greatest impact on consumers, according to Philip Smallwood, senior lighting analyst at IMS Research.

When the ban on 60-watt and 40-watt lamps begins in 2014, sales of incandescent bulbs are expected to drop off a cliff. For example, in 2011, about 1.1 billion bulbs were sold in North America (Canada also has an Edison bulb phaseout plan, but it has been put on hold). In 2014, North American sales are expected to drop to 200 million, according to IMS Research.

In 2014, what's going to account for 200 million bulbs moving across checkout counters? There will be Canadian sales, and then there will be 22 types of traditional incandescent lamps that are exempt from the EISA, including appliance bulbs, heavy-duty bulbs, colored lights and three-way lamps.

Read More: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9231570/Light_bulb_ban_leads_to_hoarding_in_Europe_is_U.S._next_?taxonomyId=205&pageNumber=1

What ever happened to choice? CFL's have mercury in them. They are dangerous if you drop one and you need a small hazmat team to clean it up. I don't like the idea of forced change especially when the alternative has it's own downside.

Its just like the control with drinking soda.... People should have a right to choose what they wanna do with their lives...

Tho I am cool with CFLs. There are a VERY light amount of discount stores around my spot, that sells them cheaper than what major retailers sell them at.

What ever happened to choice? CFL's have mercury in them. They are dangerous if you drop one and you need a small hazmat team to clean it up. I don't like the idea of forced change especially when the alternative has it's own downside.

welcome to the world of the flat earth, no growth, eco-terrorists

Joe

Here in California, they discontinued the sale of 100 watt incandescants in 2011. Bulbs of 75 watts were discontinued in 2012, and bulbs of 60 and 40 watts will be discontinued here in 2013. Apparently bulbs of lower wattages can reach the same number of lumens (measurement of light brightness) the old ones could.

Here is what the "experts" say.

http://www.energy.ca...tbulb_faqs.html

welcome to the world of the flat earth, no growth, eco-terrorists

Joe

I read a page from the Flat Earth society... that stuff is scary...

And I believe eco-terrorist is a bit overblown considering the scientific facts of pollution...

I believe he's referring to the more radicalized environmentalists that resort to property damage to get their message across.

Personally I have CFLs in all my lights because they don't heat up the lamps like incandescents do. I have a special full spectrum CFL light on my desk lamp that shows accurate white balanced colors and doesnt "yellow" things like standard lights do.

What is an eco-terrorist? Do they bomb greenhouses or something?

It refers to both the environmentalists who destroy property but also to the unelected 4th branch of government, The bearaucrats, who answer to no one who drive up the costs of everything with their ideological regulations that hurt everyone, mostly middle class and poorer americans. obama supports this crap so whenever he opens his mouth saying hes for the middle class and poor, its another one of his blatant lies that you drones buy like its on sale

Joe

It refers to both the environmentalists who destroy property but also to the unelected 4th branch of government, The bearaucrats, who answer to no one who drive up the costs of everything with their ideological regulations that hurt everyone, mostly middle class and poorer americans. obama supports this crap so whenever he opens his mouth saying hes for the middle class and poor, its another one of his blatant lies that you drones buy like its on sale

Joe

How you made the conenction that light bulb regulation is Europe is proof that Obama is against America's middle class is beyond me...

Joe

Other than the price of light bulbs rising modestly, what are the negative impacts perpetuated amongst the middle class and those under the poverty line. These people were certainly not stricken with poverty directly as a result of the light bulb regulations.

How you made the conenction that light bulb regulation is Europe is proof that Obama is against America's middle class is beyond me...

because the same thing is coming here. 100 watt light bulbs were scheduled to be illegal to buy last dec 31, but because jeff immelt, ceo of ge had millions left they waived it till the supply runs out, my job partly consists of selling light bulbs and i cant get anymore 100 watt bulbs from my supplier. 75 watts are next followed by 60`s and so on. CFL`s are more expensive than incandescents, plus with the mercury in them they are more dangerous if broken.

this is just an example on his war on the middle class, his unconstitutional refusal to follow a federal court order to resume drilling in the gulf is one of the reasons that gas prices have doubled over his term from $1.84 a gallon when he took office to $3.83 a gallon today. higher fuel costs raise the prices of everything delivered by truck, train, or plane, which is basically everything. his closing in the next 2 years of 15% of power plants throughout the country, with nothing to replace that lost electricity will raise the cost of electricity for everyone. his ridiculous edict of all cars and light trucks to get 55 mpg by 2025 is fantasy, unless cars are made from cardboard which means more people will die in accidents. No President in history has waged a war on the middle class and poor in america as obama has

Joe

this is just an example on his war on the middle class, his unconstitutional refusal to follow a federal court order to resume drilling in the gulf is one of the reasons that gas prices have doubled over his term from $1.84 a gallon when he took office to $3.83 a gallon today.

When was gas $1.84 a gallon? It sure wasn't back in 2008.

It definitely was never under $2.00 here in California, and I'm sure as hell that it was never under $2.00 out in New York.

its the national average, new york and california are always higher because higher taxes and costs to deliver the product. heres a chart for today that shows the cheapest average price is in south carolina and the highest is in hawaii

http://gasbuddy.com/GB_Price_List.aspx

and here is a chart of the average gas price over the last 5 years. On 12/14/2008 the national average was $1.61

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?time=24

Joe

its the national average, new york and california are always higher because higher taxes and costs to deliver the product. heres a chart for today that shows the cheapest average price is in south carolina and the highest is in hawaii

http://gasbuddy.com/GB_Price_List.aspx

and here is a chart of the average gas price over the last 5 years. On 12/14/2008 the national average was $1.61

http://www.gasbuddy....rt.aspx?time=24

Joe

As usual, national media is only useful/relevant if you live in the boonies.

Archived