Do bus fareboxes accept half dollars?

R10 2952

I could have sworn I saw a guy paying the fare with half dollars on the BxM1 express bus the other day....

I think you might properly saw $1 coin, because there are two colors of $1 coin, which is gold and silver.

No, pennies and half-dollar coins are not accepted on any New York City Buses, MTA Buses, Bee-Line Buses and Nassau Inter County Express Bus fareboxes.

However, pennies can be used in emergency, but this will delay the boarding.

It could have been silver $1 bill coins. MetroCard Vending Machine or MNRR/LIRR Ticket Vending Machine give out changes in gold $1 coin or silver $1 coin.

Taking the bus would be so funny if everyone came on and you put 225 pennies into the farebox each time.

I would probably think the driver would prevent the person from dumping a small jar of pennies in the box. It would be better to let the person on for free (not that the person would be) than to jam the box that '10+' riders can pay.

I would probably think the driver would prevent the person from dumping a small jar of pennies in the box. It would be better to let the person on for free (not that the person would be) than to jam the box that '10+' riders can pay.

If it were a big jar, I'm sure the answer would be "just come in".

Besides payments with coins. I seriously thing the dollar bills should be reinstated for use on farebox. While I do have an unlimited card on me. A few folks I know, sometimes only have dollar bills on them, which forces him/her to ask around or get off the bus. A lot of people deal with this situation.

If it were a big jar, I'm sure the answer would be "just come in".

Besides payments with coins. I seriously thing the dollar bills should be reinstated for use on farebox. While I do have an unlimited card on me. A few folks I know, sometimes only have dollar bills on them, which forces him/her to ask around or get off the bus. A lot of people deal with this situation.

The MTA needs a new farebox. Like in Vegas on the Deuces line, they have fareboxes that not only takes bills, but also distributes cards. This would save the trouble of lack of fares and the need to find loose change. The MTA is so behind the times..

Eh... that would cost so much money!

I'm sure eventually they MAY just replace it in the future. Especially with the implementation of tap technology. While I really doubt they would add Dollar bill support. I think they really should consider that. You will still have passengers around who who has no change or tap card, and need change for a dollar.

NJT and even Transport of Rockland takes dollar bill, for example.

Selling Metro Cards on buses is even a good idea as FNYL mentions. But boarding time might be an issue. For that, just expand on the numbers of Vending machines around and/or authorized retailers (where Subway access, isn't available).

All this time & I never stopped to think about dropping a dollar kerrn (coin) in the farebox.....

I usually redeposit the dollar coins [i get from the MVM's as change in a previous refill session] in my next refill session right back into those MVM's...

Nobody wants those goddamn things... you try to pass off dollar coins by buying something from a store (even the newsstands or those nasty ass lunch trucks) or to cab/van drivers & they look at you like you're a freakin space cadet......

All this time & I never stopped to think about dropping a dollar kerrn (coin) in the farebox.....

I usually redeposit the dollar coins [i get from the MVM's as change in a previous refill session] in my next refill session right back into those MVM's...

Nobody wants those goddamn things... you try to pass off dollar coins by buying something from a store (even the newsstands or those nasty ass lunch trucks) or to cab/van drivers & they look at you like you're a freakin space cadet......

I've actually been collecting them... :ph34r:

----

I agree with GC... I feel the MTA should update the fareboxes...

Eh... that would cost so much money!

No it wouldn't.

The MTA needs a new farebox. Like in Vegas on the Deuces line, they have fareboxes that not only takes bills, but also distributes cards. This would save the trouble of lack of fares and the need to find loose change. The MTA is so behind the times..

99% of all TA's in North America accept dollar bills.

I'm sure eventually they MAY just replace it in the future. Especially with the implementation of tap technology. While I really doubt they would add Dollar bill support. I think they really should consider that. You will still have passengers around who who has no change or tap card, and need change for a dollar.

NJT and even Transport of Rockland takes dollar bill, for example.

Selling Metro Cards on buses is even a good idea as FNYL mentions. But boarding time might be an issue. For that, just expand on the numbers of Vending machines around and/or authorized retailers (where Subway access, isn't available).

No offence to either of you, but I think selling Metrocards on the bus would be one of the most ridiculousness ideas I ever heard of! MTA is trying to constantly reduce dwell times..... Really????

I'm not saying people should be buying $20 cards on the buses (my experience on another city's system was just pointing out how much 'better'-imo they were), but if there were some more MVMs on the streets, there won't be the delays with people asking other riders if they have some change to dip in the box. If the boxes can take bills, then fine, I can live with just that.

Archived