Has anyone been having problems using their bus transfer lately?

paulrivera

For the last couple of weeks I've noticed an extra fare being deducted from not only my card, but other people's cards and paper transfers as well throughout the Bronx buses I've ridden on.

On Friday the 14th, I took the SBS Bx12 at 11am and transferred to the local Bx12 at 12pm (I needed to make a stopover) and a fare was deducted. Another person also complained to himself about paying another fare instead of a transfer.

On Friday the 21st, I took the (4) to Mosholu Pkwy at 10am, then boarded a Bx38 at 11:30am. Once again, another fare deducted. Someone else was also muttering about paying an extra fare as well

Today, I took the (4) to Mosholu again at 8am, then boarded a Bx1 at 9:30am. Yet again, another fare deducted, and meanwhile the farebox was rejecting and spitting back every paper transfer inserted by other passengers (the B/O let them ride) and eating extra fares out of MetroCards (nothing the B/O could do about that.) For what it's worth, whenever someone inserted a paper transfer they would all have a "WRONG ROUTE" error displayed on the farebox.

So far I've submitted 3 claims to the MTA and have already received a 1-trip card in the mail today from my first claim (the second was accepted today also.)

Could this be a bad string of luck? Or a glitch affecting the fareboxes? Or something else?

There has been complaints on the Bee Line side, all of the MetroCard fareboxes have been resetting themselves and showing the incorrect times. Which can throw off transfer times.

I wonder if this is happening with the MTA cubics as well...

Hem, good to know. Usually you just have to try and keep track of how much money you have left on the card. What irks me is how some fareboxes still says $2.25 instead of xfer and I have to make a note of it in case the box actually took another fare or just a transfer. Another time few days ago a box gave me a read error message, but when I checked the card the next day, it showed that the fare was taken.

I haven't used a (metrocard-shaped) paper bus transfer since they first came out, back when I used to collect them.....

In other words, I don't remember the last time I paid the fare in coins....

But as far as deducting a fare on my MC where it shouldn't (i.e. bus-to-bus xfer), no... I haven't noticed that...

What I will say though is.... As of late, I have noticed quite a bit of people on the buses I've ridden trying to dip the paper xfers into the farebox - With the end result being pax. ending up handing 'em to the b/o.....

I hear this all the time...."why did that take another fare??" I am like don't know!!....write the MTA and tell them about it....I mean really there is nothing I can do or have no control over this......

LOL... These days I can't even get answers about detours, which should be scheduled in advance. They must leave you guys in the dark about everything.

I hear this all the time...."why did that take another fare??" I am like don't know!!....write the MTA and tell them about it....I mean really there is nothing I can do or have no control over this......

Print out a transfer for them and flip it over there is an information on the back where they can contact e fix and hopefully they can resolve the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Since the members of the forum have been posting this information, I started to watch each and every time i transferred from bus to subway or vice versa and bus to bus transfer as well to see if the fare was being deducted twice instead of once on the first line

Today, I took one bus in Brooklyn and the money was deducted and when I boarded the second bus, it was deducted again. I bought it to the attention to the wonderful bus driver who e.xplained to me what to do. As soon as I arrived home, I called 511 where I explained my problem and she gave me a claim number for the extra $2.25 which will be sent sometime in the future.

Thanks again.

Since the members of the forum have been posting this information, I started to watch each and every time i transferred from bus to subway or vice versa and bus to bus transfer as well to see if the fare was being deducted twice instead of once on the first line

Today, I took one bus in Brooklyn and the money was deducted and when I boarded the second bus, it was deducted again. I bought it to the attention to the wonderful bus driver who e.xplained to me what to do. As soon as I arrived home, I called 511 where I explained my problem and she gave me a claim number for the extra $2.25 which will be sent sometime in the future.

Thanks again.

Well, good luck with that.

To checkmate champ, I say thanks for the information as to when I will (hopefully) receive the money back from them.

I purchase one card and then I refill it as needed and since the card expires in March 2013, I plan to hold on to it as long as I can to the final expiration date.

The key here is that the forum provided information from members that have experienced the same problem that I had and by reading the forum and checking the index, I was able to receive an answer as to how long it will take for receive the Metro Card for $ 2.25 t.hat was taken off in error. I just hope that it is recieved before the next fare increase takes effect.

I really don't understand why folks even bother with the (MTA). You can simply dispute the charge with your credit card company and get the money back quicker that way. I get my money back in a few days when I have a problem rather than a few months. I refuse to give the (MTA) more of my money while they sit there and take their sweet time getting it back to me and earn interest on top of it. Disgusting. This whole Metrocard set up has allowed them to nickle and dime us to death and that's one reason why they should just get rid of the stupid bonus since they get money from the odd amounts that they leave on people's cards from them if they don't use them. They should also be required to issue a refund to all customers within a certain time frame (say two weeks maximum) because it is ridiculous for wait 2 - 3 months for a refund and then you have to give them more of your money while they still have the money you already gave them.

You have millions of riders using the system, so just imagine how many folks get jipped that either don't bother to file a claim or don't bother trying to get their full bonus off of those cards. They should show the numbers for how much they make off of that, including the interest... <_<

Archived