How To Have a Successful Career in Transit.

TwoTimer

AVA = additional vacation allowance. If you work a holiday, you can choose to add an AVA to your bank rather than get the extra holiday pay. This lets you take a different paid day off instead. These are very valuable because they don't expire and can be used at any time (except for other holidays), so save them up! Note that your birthday is considered a holiday, so you can get an AVA if you choose to work your birthday.

OTO = OverTime Offset = similar to AVA, but they accumulate by saving your overtime rather than getting paid for it. Once you bank 8 hours of OT, you get an OTO, which works the same as an AVA. Only difference is that OTO expires at the end of the year and whatever is left over (which will probably be a fraction of 8 hours) will be added to your final paycheck for the year.

PLD = Personal Leave Day. You get 1 at the start of each year. It's just like an AVA except you get it automatically, and you lose it if you don't use it by the end of the year. The Union is currently fighting to change policy so that PLD's will always get approved, since right now the Crew Office treats all requests the same, except for picked vacation (see below). Note that PLD's must still be requested in advance, so they can't be used as a get-out-of-work-free ticket UNLESS you can provide proof as to why you needed the day off (death certificate, plumber's receipt, etc).

There's also a VID = Vacation In Days. You can turn 1 week (5 days) of your vacation into VIDs each year. You have an option of picking which individual days to use them when you pick your vacation weeks, in which case they will be approved on the spot (this is VERY important if there's a particular day which you know you HAVE to have off well in advance), or you can keep them in your bank in which case they work exactly the same as other banked days (which means they can be denied), and like OTO you get paid for any which you didn't use. You also get vacation weeks turned into VIDs if for some reason your scheduled vacation week got cancelled (from being OOS, being in schoolcar, etc)

Vacation Weeks = A week beginning Sunday and ending Saturday. You get paid what you would normally make if you worked that week (they have a special formula for extra's), and there is a special picked job called Vacation Relief where another employee can bid to work your job that week. Only so many people can take vacation each week (this is completely separate from the # of people who can take the other days off described above), so the lower the seniority, the less likely you can get the weeks you want. Rule of thumb is any week that school is NOT in session (holiday/summer weeks) will be the first to fill up. I was lucky enough to get the last week of September my first year, but Jan & Feb usually go last.

I should also talk about sick days, since it's VERY VERY important to use them wisely and follow the rules.

You get 12 sick days a year. These days never expire, and you can accumulate as many as you want (I know people here with over 100 in their banks!). As long as you aren't on the sick control list, you can also sell back up to 3 sick days a year, and get paid 8 hours for each of them (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU *NOT* DO THIS!). You will also get paid for 50% of your remaining sick bank when you retire - for many employees this is a 4 digit bonus!

You need to call out sick at least 1 hour before your job starts. This isn't an automated # - you need to speak with a sick desk employee and explain WHY you are calling out and when you estimate you will return. If you are out for more than 2 days in a row, you are required to return with a doctor's note within 3 days of your resume date (you get insurance with this job, so there's no excuse not to see a Dr if you are unable to work for 3+ days). It is not required, but is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you also get Dr's lines for 1 or 2 days absences Dr's lines are also required if you call out either on a holiday or right before or after a vacation week. Failing to provide Dr's lines when required will get you marked AWOL, which means you will be OOS until you have a Labor Relations hearing.

You will be put on the sick control list if a. you call out more than 4 times without providing Dr's lines in a 365 day span b. use more than 50% of your possible available sick days (which is one reason why selling back sick days is a VERY bad idea, or c. are in the bottom 30% of sick records for employees in your title. Once you are on the sick control list, Dr's lines are required for ANY sick time used, and supervision will actively monitor your house to make sure you are actually home. Once you get on the sick control list, kiss any promotions within the next 2 years goodbye.

For these reasons, you want to avoid taking sick days except as a last resort. Because of the nature of our job, where each individual employee needs to cover a particular job and if you call out, somebody ELSE needs to cover it, NYCT has these strict measures in place to stop people from abusing sick days. So don't be that guy who all of a sudden is getting stomach cramps or a sore throat on a day when you need to go to a wedding, because someday you might REALLY have a sore throat and will be in danger of being put on sick control if you call out 1 more time......

Very Good Points Snowblock ,Two Timer, Broadway couldn't have said it better myself.. :)

Hopefully SOME of this Knowledge will sink in for some folks who are on the list and they read this and get called!

Oh BTW i dont think i seen this one part...

NOBODY likes a "Know-it-all!!!!!!

They get it you are knowledgeable about trains, you dont have to tell the whole damn Crew Room, Rookie!

For TWU hourlys, it's 1/1, 1/21, 2/12 (believe it or not...), 2/18, 5/27, 7/4, 9/2, 11/11, 11/28, 12/25 and your birthday in 2013. So 11. You acquire the majority of the holiday pay/AVA in a 3 month span, so be sure to plan ahead!

Be advised that in order to get the holiday bonus, you have to bridge the holiday with work. So if you have 1/1 as your RDO, you must work your last scheduled day before 1/1 and the first scheduled day after it. I'm not sure if you get the bonus if you have enough seniority to pick the holiday off, or if it's your vacation week......

• 9 months later...

There are a few certifications and licensing you will need to pay for. Get your drivers license ASAP. Drivers' ed will be even better. Get your CDL (commercial driver license) ASAP right afterwards (when you're 18). Keep both licenses squeaky clean. Congratulations, you have met the minimum requirements for bus operator, and you will be able to take the exam the next time it comes up. You will also have met (for now) the requirements for conductor (NYCT), station agent (NYCT) and track worker (NYCT) as well.

Sorry for bumping the thread, but I needed to ask about this.

Do you really need a driver's license and/r CDL to be a NYCT train operator or conductor? Over the previous 2 days I asked four NYCT conductors if you need a driver's license to be an NYCT train operator or conductor and they all said no. Before asking them this question, I asked a Road Car Inspector the same question (about being a train op or conductor, NOT about being an RCI) 2 days ago and he said you need a driver's license to be an NYCT train operator but not to be an NYCT conductor. I was thinking the RCI told me the wrong thing and the conductors told me the right thing.

And do you need a driver's license to be an NYCT station agent or NYCT track worker?

Do you really need a driver's license and/r CDL to be a NYCT train operator or conductor? Over the previous 2 days I asked four NYCT conductors if you need a driver's license to be an NYCT train operator or conductor and they all said no. Before asking them this question, I asked a Road Car Inspector the same question (about being a train op or conductor, NOT about being an RCI) 2 days ago and he said you need a driver's license to be an NYCT train operator but not to be an NYCT conductor. I was thinking the RCI told me the wrong thing and the conductors told me the right thing.

And do you need a driver's license to be an NYCT station agent or NYCT track worker?

You do not need a driver's license to be eligible for either T/O, C/R, S/A or Track Worker. Track Workers who have their CDL w/ proper endorsements can operate the trucks they use to haul their equipment, but by no means is that a requirement for the title.

Why did you ask 4 times? Did you follow up your question with "are you sure?". 

NO, you do NOT need a driver's license for C/R or T/O. You are actually discouraged from driving to and from work too. They want you to take mass transit so that if you encounter a delay, it'll be something that they can verify.

I'm not completely sure, but I believe you DO need a driver's license to be an RCI, since they sometimes respond to incidents via car, Same with TSS's.

For Track and any other title in M.O.W. you do need a valid NYS drivers license. If you have an out of state license yo are required to obtain a NYS Non-Drivers ID. Why? I don't know.

The Transit Authority began enforcing this a few years ago for a brief time. Every so often they run a check and start sending out notices.

You are discouraged from driving to work and forbidden unless given the OK by your Supt' to use your own vehicle. However, driving a TA vehicle such a car, suburban, pick up truck or anything else not requiring a CDL is expected in need be. Unless you pick a Chauffeurs job or office job rare to never will you be asked to drive.

Why did you ask 4 times?

Wanted to see if a lot of people said the same thing.

Did you follow up your question with "are you sure?".

No.

The other thing is that some people told me information that I did not request but appreciated finding out.

...forbidden unless given the OK by your Supt' to use your own vehicle.

This is interesting.

They want you to take mass transit so that if you encounter a delay, it'll be something that they can verify.

This is also interesting; it never occurred to me that that was one of their reasons for wanting employees to use the system to reach work.

If you have a good sup't and your a decent worker one hand washes the other.

When my wife was pregnant and my mother-in law with us in her final years and a small child at home I need to be able to leave in. the event my wife went into labor or an ambulance needed to be called.

I wrote a G2 asking to use my car to go to the job sites in the event of emergency and was given it.

I had to work it out with the men also because of the other factors involved like tools, taking off and restoring G.O.'s, etc. It was a P.I.T.A.

Of course I'll be washing his hands longer then he washed mine but that's just how it is.

As a regular routine Transit does not want to hear "My car broke down" "I had an accident" etc. It's preferred everyone stay together on the train. Of course those rules work against them also.

If you have a good sup't and your a decent worker one hand washes the other.

When my wife was pregnant and my mother-in law with us in her final years and a small child at home I need to be able to leave in. the event my wife went into labor or an ambulance needed to be called.

I wrote a G2 asking to use my car to go to the job sites in the event of emergency and was given it.

I had to work it out with the men also because of the other factors involved like tools, taking off and restoring G.O.'s, etc. It was a P.I.T.A.

Of course I'll be washing his hands longer then he washed mine but that's just how it is.

As a regular routine Transit does not want to hear "My car broke down" "I had an accident" etc. It's preferred everyone stay together on the train. Of course those rules work against them also.

I guess this is another reason the MTA should try to get the best possible service on ther subways LOL

For Track... you do need a valid NYS drivers license. If you have an out of state license yo are required to obtain a NYS Non-Drivers ID. Why? I don't know.

The Transit Authority began enforcing this a few years ago for a brief time. Every so often they run a check and start sending out notices.

Really? I still have the old filing for T/W exam 5016 and nowhere does it state that you need a license to be hired.

Really? I still have the old filing for T/W exam 5016 and nowhere does it state that you need a license to be hired.

I stand corrected.

I was pretty sure when I started out in Track (1992) that a drivers license was required. I guess not.

As you stated it's not listed on the application for the exam for Track worker but it is listed on the promotional application for exam to my current department, Power Distribution, 3rd Rail, whatever they want to call it nowadays and also states it on the application for the promotional exam. 

Not sure if it has to do with the "Maintainer" classification of some titles.

You don't need a drivers license to be a Track Worker. Hell, you don't even need a H.S. diploma...

Nice to see another person from M.O.W.

I stand corrected.

I was pretty sure when I started out in Track (1992) that a drivers license was required. I guess not.

As you stated it's not listed on the application for the exam for Track worker but it is listed on the promotional application for exam to my current department, Power Distribution, 3rd Rail, whatever they want to call it nowadays and also states it on the application for the promotional exam. 

Not sure if it has to do with the "Maintainer" classification of some titles.

Nice to see another person from M.O.W.

I started in Track in 1993 and there was no requirement for a drivers license. But, when I was in P.D. in 1995 & 1996 I was required to have a valid drivers licence, so you are correct about it being required for P.D Maintainers(not sure about Signal).

If you were on the North section nights while in PD we probably knew each other.

The way things are now PD is not the place to be as it once was.

Nah, I was South section nights out of Canal St. When I started in Transit the Signal Dept was considered the best Dept to work for followed by PD then Track. Nowadays from what I see I would say Track is the best Dept to work for followed by PD then Signal.(JMO)

• 4 months later...

I'd add these:

TIME

-Know when and where you are supposed to be to work, and be there. If you can't make it and it's a proper use, you have sick time, use it. If you're running a couple minutes late, call ahead and let someone know. No guarantees, but it can't hurt and people appreciate being kept in the loop.

-If you work in train or bus service...always make your runs leave on time. What time they arrive is up to circumstance, but you need to be ready to go when it's time to go.

-Don't abuse your sick time. Use it judiciously. Don't wind up on Sick Control (aka "the 30% list"). If you don't "feel like" going to work...GO ANYWAY.

-When you're new, save all your holidays as AVA's. Now if a sudden family emergency comes up, you can get the day off and get paid for it...but be prepared to have to prove the emergency for pay to be approved.

BEHAVIOR

-Don't steal property, don't steal money, and don't pad the payroll

-Don't argue with customers. Be courteous. If they are difficult, you can be stern but polite...choose your words carefully.

-Don't disrespect supervisors. Do what you are told until you earn their trust.

-If you want something, try asking nicely.

-Do favors for the people you like working with, it will come back to you in spades. You can decline to do favors for people you don't like working with, but be polite, respectful, and if they're a supervisor NEVER be insubordinate. Just don't do them any favors, because you don't have to. But if they ask you to do something that's legitimately a job responsibility during a time they have the right to, even if you wouldn't want to help them lift a piano off their toe...you need to do it.

-Do not get into physical altercations.

-If you have a uniform, wear it. If you don't, carry your backorder forms everywhere you go and do your best to wear clothes that look close to the actual uniform for the time being

PROTECTING YOUR JOB

-Cover your ass. Have your story ready to go BEFORE you're asked for it, and talk to your partner (if applicable) so the two of you are on the same page.

-(for train service employees)... stay off the radio unless you absolutely need to be on it. Communicate with your partner first ALWAYS. You are a TEAM.

-Just do your job. Don't try to "improve" it or be a super employee. Just do what you are supposed to do, nothing more, and nothing less. Both will get you into trouble.

-Get a good reputation. It could help you someday. The best way to do this is maintaining a clean record. Your supervisors will notice - evaluations are done constantly and if your name never comes up, they'll assume you're one of the good ones.

-Write down everything you do. What time you start and end work, and every train/bus/etc. you work on, your partner (if applicable), and any noteworthy occurrences. It could save you someday. Figure out what you should get paid and check it against your stubs.

-If ever you do anything off color, off key, not rule book, etc. - shut your mouth about it. That said, try not to.

-If you're about to make a run...go to the bathroom first. Try to avoid "taking a comfort" en route.

-Remember, a day without paperwork is a GOOD DAY

PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS

-Make friends with people who have time down here. Learn from their experiences.

-Make friends with people who don't have time down here. They'll be your peers and you may work alongside these people the rest of your career.

-Mind your business in the crew room. Make friends over time. Don't change the TV channel, don't complain about what's on, and if you see food available for sale PAY FOR IT, don't steal it. Most of the amenities in the crew rooms are put there by the employees themselves. If there are games going on and you want to play, ask...don't just sit down without asking.

-Don't trust everyone.

-Don't whine/complain. No one really wants to hear it, and everyone's been there. Just suck it up and someday you won't have to.

-Keep the crew room clean. If you eat and make a mess, clean it up. Crew rooms don't have maids and if you leave a mess, your coworkers will have to clean it up, and they will resent you for it. Don't leave food in the fridge long term unless absolutely necessary and label it if you do. Don't put your work bag, which is dirty, in places where people eat or prepare food.

-While you can be friends with supervision, keep them at an arm's length unless you really know them personally. Just because a TSS rode your train once or twice and seemed agreeable is not grounds to start telling him about how wasted you plan to get on your RDO's the next time you see him. Be professional.

and last, but most important...SAFETY

-Your safety comes first. Don't trust the public. Wear your PPE, lock your doors, and do what is required, nothing more. Don't take unnecessary risks. If you have a uniform, travel incognito when you come to work and go home.

-Protect your property. If you plan to drive to work, get a parking pass and park in the yard/depot. If the yard/depot requires decals, do the best you can...but safe to say not a good idea to leave expensive items visible (especially a GPS or radio)...it's happened to enough TA employees before you and will happen to them after you as well.

On the money..great advice

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask what is a buff what is the meaning.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

A "buff" can be categorized as one who has incredible knowledge about a given subject, purely for fun/hobby or as part of their job. For example here you have a community known as railfans or train buffs. Some are employed by various agencies and some aren't. Either way they know a lot about trains and transportation as a whole. Most people aren't "buffs", however they can still perform their job as well as anybody.

May I ask what is a buff what is the meaning.

A "buff" can be categorized as one who has incredible knowledge about a given subject, purely for fun/hobby or as part of their job. For example here you have a community known as railfans or train buffs. Some are employed by various agencies and some aren't. Either way they know a lot about trains and transportation as a whole. Most people aren't "buffs", however they can still perform their job as well as anybody.

Thank you

Archived