Another O7 tests out a new heating system...

MHV9218

I predict the cause of the fire of this bus was an electrical shortage. I say that given the history of hybrid buses from several manufacturers in several cities and recalls that have been done on hybrids specifically in the past, especially on the BAE systems battery pack. And given all these conversions and fires, we're probably not going to see more hybrids in the (MTA) for a while, are we?

Good thing the driver is okay and no one else on the road got hurt. I am really starting to ask are hybrid buses really worth it? Is spending almost half a million dollars on a hybrid bus really worth the cost? This is something that has puzzled me for a while and I wonder what do you guys think?

Its just a bus that caught fire...there have been diesels that happened the same way like 5121, 8752 (that one was kinda funny), and the phoenix (4396). It can happen to any bus, it just so happen to be a hybrid...again

I think it's 8652 you're talking about. Is it that bus that was made 3 times under 8652 after it got on fire. I remember reading something about that.

Hey for all that, we might as well shuffle all the buses around the city so that any route that has a highway or bridge stretch should use straight diesel buses

CNG, Allison, or BAE Parallel hybrids would be fine on the freeway. These BAE Series buses should not be on any route where speeds go abouve 30mph regularly. The actually shouldnt be going over 30 at all unless dead heading. This is why TTC and MTA are among the agencies seeing different problems. They should never be on the freeway. There is no way they will last 12 years running up and down a Freeway. They should have definitely been put on the all the routes in the city that have the lowest average speeds.

Highway stretches wouldn't have a thing to do with the cause though. If that were the case, we wouldnt have had them on the Q44, Q10, M60 and a number of other routes that goes on long, fast stretches for X amount of time. The cause is likely either a leak of hydraulic fluid or an electrical issue.

It could be anything..... The highway definitely could have been a contributor.

I think it's 8652 you're talking about. Is it that bus that was made 3 times under 8652 after it got on fire. I remember reading something about that.

No it was 8752. That one was freshly rehabbed then it spontaneously combusted while at a red light.

4396 is the mobile command bus. The backstory on that one was that while being delivered, it burst into flames. I don't think it seen regular service after that but it was rebuilt and named the phoenix, then later renumbered 0010.

No it was 8752. That one was freshly rehabbed then it spontaneously combusted while at a red light.

4396 is the mobile command bus. The backstory on that one was that while being delivered, it burst into flames. I don't think it seen regular service after that but it was rebuilt and named the phoenix, then later renumbered 0010.

Than what bus got on fire 3 times and remade three times?

*sigh* Another Orion outta here, damn...

These may be my favorite buses, and as much as I love them and the BAE Hybridrive, I'll admit they shouldn't be on the freeway. But I'm not really for the plan to convert the hybrids to diesel either. I think a lot of the O7s that run in the outer boroughs should be converted to BAE Parallel or Allison hybrid systems instead. Let the ones in Manhattan, and maybe some in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx stay with the BAE Series system.

4396 made it to delivery, but caught fire on its first day in service.

IINM, the last bus made twice was 9656; the first one caught fire, then it was re-made, but then got scrapped after being the middle bus in a 3-bus smashup.

... Lol.

Oh the bus I'm talking about. This is what happened to the bus. The Bus I was talking was 9656

9656 caught on fire shortly after delivery and was subsequently retired. The next Nova Bus RTS order (buses 4900-5249) would include another bus numbered 9656 in addition to the 350 RTS buses ordered, but the replacement was totaled in a major accident in 2008 and scrapped in 2009.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived