How are the R142s holding up?

TheSubwayStation

I would disagree on R142A are not falling apart. while mostly some R142A are falling apart , they are still spray paint that not even clean off almost all of R142A in the system . How can all car got spray paint not even clean off. But i dont spot spray paint of R142 of 2 , 5 line.

And the seat fully been damaged on the R142A .

I would disagree on R142A are not falling apart. while mostly some R142A are falling apart , they are still spray paint that not even clean off almost all of R142A in the system . How can all car got spray paint not even clean off. But i dont spot spray paint of R142 of 2 , 5 line.

And the seat fully been damaged on the R142A .

Cool story! Thanks for your insightful contribution to the discussion.

(Sarcasm.)

The R142A's suck. I cringe whenever I get one on the (4) .

Why? I understand the problems with the 142As on the (6) because of Westchester Yard's bad maintenance, but what's bad about the ones on the (4)?

(Sarcasm.)

Giving us an eye test TSS? Okay, I'm just joking around.

Getting back on topic, a mid-life overhaul in a few years would be good for the trains. I have only been on the 142's a few times, but there are some cosmetic issues to fix. Maybe there are some mechanical bugs, but it's nothing compared to various issues (cosmetic, mechanical, or both) with the R40, 42, 44, and 46.

I love the R142/As but I have some pet peeves about them like the loud noises that they make like the HVAC system on the R142 but it's not as bad on the R143s and R160s where those sound like hundreds of bees and its drowns out the announcements , at least you can here something from the R142s unless it's on the (2) , I also dont liek when they are departing a station underground and the third rail contact shoe makes a loud screeching noise when it departs a station, and speaking of screeching like on the R142As especially on the (6) line of the brakes, also the bucking and dragging of the R142As, the R142s offer a smoother, quieter ride, you can't hear the motor in the R142 even if you're sitting above the trucks or even with the storm doors and if the storm doors are open, the motor noise is very faint, the R142A's motors are distinctly heard no matter where you are, so of all of them I would go for the R142s.

I'll never forget the time I rode on a R142A (on the (6))which i'm going to assume was lacking dynamic brakes...that poor thing was bucking and dragging the wheels to come to a complete stop at every station.

Reminds me of the time I was on a Downtown (6) train back when I lived in the city....I was on a train that was bucking a lot more than it would on acceleration, it felt very erratic. While standing at the front end of the train, we overheard the T/O saying "THIS TRAIN IS BUCKING LIKE A BRONCO!!"....it was really bad, even when we were approaching the stations, it was really rough....

On a side note, the folks at the front half of the 1st car along with my friend & I were cracking up at what he said lol.

Archived