Plans for the World's Tallest Ferris Wheel on Staten Island

JubaionBx12+SBS

[float=left]post-5097-0-62436900-1348840209_thumb.jpg[/float]The Big Apple is getting another "biggest." The world's largest Ferris wheel is scheduled to be erected on Staten Island, in an ambitious attempt to draw tourists to what's sometimes known as the city's "forgotten borough," officials announced today.

The $230 million attraction, to be called the NY Wheel, is to grace a spot overlooking the Statue of Liberty, NY Harbor and the downtown Manhattan skyline a singular view that officials hope will add to the appeal what they say would be the world's tallest Ferris wheel.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-62436900-1348840209_thumb.jpg

Actually, I think you got c) reversed. You mean drive from NJ thru SI to get to Brooklyn :) It's not worth paying that insane one way toll.

yea well such is the curse of living on Long Island, getting anywhere off the island requires driving thru NYC and paying insane bridge tolls.

yea well such is the curse of living on Long Island, getting anywhere off the island requires driving thru NYC and paying insane bridge tolls.

Why bother with tolls when there is a NICE-r alternative?

(I'm being serious).

Actually, I think you got c) reversed. You mean drive from NJ thru SI to get to Brooklyn :) It's not worth paying that insane one way toll.

As an avid driver to Atlantic City, paying that insane tolls will equal out paying a toll with the tunnels plus the extra gas used in the traffic jams getting to the same point the Verrazano leads me to. It's just not worth the headaches and extra time. Just not worth it in my opinion.

-----

Anyways, back on to topic, I can't justify a ferris wheel just by itself. Unless they make it at least somewhat how Atlantic City's piers or South Street Seaport is.

Yeah, that's true. But I would still take my chances with the Manhattan and Holland tunnel traffic over the VZ toll. Depends on when I go to Jersey, but it usually isn't too bad in the middle of the day or early like 5am (provided there's no construction or lane obstructions). Obviously avoid it during the rush hours and later at night.

I heard they were going to build a 'high end' mall near it. So it'd be like some mall with a carousel ride.

The only way that this could be built is if Six Flags buys the former Fresh Kills landfill and turns it into a amusement park. :P

Lol, nah. Plus if anything they should try to build up Coney Island ;) Great Adventures is still worth spending 2hrs getting to. I can't see them building a 2nd park so close to another one.

Yeah.. The borough will still be forgotten, like it is now. All its going to do is attract people around St. George. Not like the rest of the island is gonna get attention.. Besides, I dont care much for ferris wheel. Id rather go to an amuesment park that offers more options of rides around. You've got other places for rides. Such as Six Flags, Luna Park, Rye Playland, etc. Even tho those are away from the city. Commute options is still available for those spots.

Staten Islanders have gotta lighten up with the whole forgotten crap. As we all know, Manhattan is where most of the attention is at, due to its accessablity and attractions offered. Other boroughs around as well offer something, but not as much as Manhattan. Mainly the transportation access is what makes SIers feel "forgotten".

BTW heres a link to more photos of it:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57521993-1/worlds-tallest-ferris-wheel-set-to-roll-into-n.y./?ttag=fbwp

Yeah, that's true. But I would still take my chances with the Manhattan and Holland tunnel traffic over the VZ toll. Depends on when I go to Jersey, but it usually isn't too bad in the middle of the day or early like 5am (provided there's no construction or lane obstructions). Obviously avoid it during the rush hours and later at night.

Well there's a Helix construction going on at Lincoln Tunnel now, so that's out of the question and with that, Holland would be bad. I don't know how to explain it but most of my friends have the same views whenever we travel to southern Jersey.

Why not build a amusement park around it! Amusement park=huge profits. Then you need express buses for $2.25 going there! Talk about a line for an express bus!

Express buses costs as much as it does because it runs in one direction and that's it. They aren't cheap to run. And if they are building this wheel somewhere near the ferry terminal, where are you going to build such an amusement park? Finally, there's already (a bit on the small side) park at Coney Island.

The only parts of Staten Island that they really want to become more built up if you will are areas along the waterfront, in particular St. George because they want to take advantage of the tourists that get off of the boat. I wouldn't be surprised if this fails. They've tried numerous schemes to get folks to come to Staten Island and explore the borough that have failed. The fact of the matter is it is a borough (when compared to the other boroughs) comprised mainly of more suburban areas (excluding some of the more "urban" areas if you will mainly on the North Shore) and folks mainly move there to escape tourists, not to attract them. Quite frankly most Staten Islanders don't care if they want to build up along the waterfront since unless you live right there or take the ferry, you're not really going to be impacted by it.

The fact still remains that Staten Island is not a destination place and won't be unless transportation makes it as such. It is isolated because folks wanted it that way back in the day and even though many say they want a subway line, there are plenty that don't and still curse and complain about the Verrazano being built and how it brought down the borough as a whole and the way of life there. To be honest I agree. You can't just build this nonsense and expect folks to come running. The real reason people hate coming to Staten Island is that it is a schlepp to get to. The infrastructure from a transportation point of view sucks with the narrow sidewalks and streets and to really explore the borough you need a car, so who wants to tour a borough and have to have a car? Nobody. St. George and a few other areas near the waterfront are walkable and that's one reason why they're being marketed, but still.

Now there are some really beautiful areas of Staten Island with spectacular views, but you really need a car or patience to get to them since some areas like the Lighthouse and Todt Hill lack sidewalks and have a more gated, private feel to them. In any event, they need to let the place be as it was constructed to be.... A small town feel with lots of green. The streets and sidewalks for the most part are small because of the small population (particularly before the Verrazano) and having more folks pack in would just destroy the character of the borough even more, which they've done a good job at with the overbuilding on the island.

They're expanding the SIE and adding some exit ramps so that traffic can flow a bit better... The SIE over the years has turned into a parking lot and is simply too small to accommodate the growing traffic on Staten Island.

They should have extended the Richmond Parkway to I-278 near the bridge, that would have taken some of the people going down to the Outerbridge Crossing, and relieved traffic on Richmond Avenue and Hylan Blvd. However by the time they got to Staten Island, Robert Moses was just about out of power, I think he was fired before the West Shore Expressway was built and completed.

Archived