Plans for the World's Tallest Ferris Wheel on Staten Island

JubaionBx12+SBS

They should have extended the Richmond Parkway to I-278 near the bridge, that would have taken some of the people going down to the Outerbridge Crossing, and relieved traffic on Richmond Avenue and Hylan Blvd. However by the time they got to Staten Island, Robert Moses was just about out of power, I think he was fired before the West Shore Expressway was built and completed.

lol... There were a few projects that were supposed to make traffic flow easier that never got completed so now you've got the current mess.

Off topic but related to getting the entertainment dollar lol. What ever happened to plans to build a NASCAR/Formula One race track on SI?

That proposal got shot down.

Race track? So that's what all the SIE construction is about...

They're changing up the exit ramps. They're closing down the current ramps east of Targee Street and making new ones by Hylan Blvd. The whole thing is pointless IMO.

The fact of the matter is it is a borough (when compared to the other boroughs) comprised mainly of more suburban areas (excluding some of the more "urban" areas if you will mainly on the North Shore) and folks mainly move there to escape tourists, not to attract them.

Oh, dear Lord.......

There's always a major block up at the 440 South exit IMO, it empties at the Goethals.

They're expanding the SIE and adding some exit ramps so that traffic can flow a bit better... The SIE over the years has turned into a parking lot and is simply too small to accommodate the growing traffic on Staten Island.

Y U NO GET SARCASM

The 440 south exit is the real chokehold on the SIE...

There's always a major block up at the 440 South exit IMO, it empties at the Goethals.

Y U NO GET SARCASM

The 440 south exit is the real chokehold on the SIE...

Actually, for some reason, I think traffic in general moves better westbound than eastbound. Eastbound, you have the traffic from 440 merging with traffic from the Goethals Bridge, and it narrows from 4 lanes (2 from the Goethals + 2 from the WSE), down to 3 (well, actually the 4th lane is still there, but it becomes the exit for Richmond Avenue). Westbound, it's not as bad because you have it widening out (though of course, there are backups, but eastbound backups are definitely more frequent).

Just place it in Coney Island, many people will ride another amusement ride at an amusement park which was made long ago. If in Staten, to bring more tourists and New Yorkers to the area, they have to connect the Staten Island Railway to the (1) or (R) in my opinion. Well, this (connection of the SIR to the rest of the subway) may not even happen, as some Staten Islanders still think of a dirty NYC subway in the 1970s, and also the budget needed to do so.

Speaking of ferris wheel, I think I would agree sort of. Didn't Coach USA/Grayline tested their Staten Island Sightseeing Tour and that didn't last long.

I would go, but it's crazy idea for me, too.

COSI also closed best information booth at Whitehall Ferry Terminal due to budget issue.

I think only time tourists go further depends on their attractions.

Speaking of ferris wheel, I would not think some tourists will not go to new malls in Bronx either because some of them are afraid to go to the Bronx.

If ferris wheel is built and if firework was on Hudson River again, which means Staten Island Ferry is suspended, so ferris wheel will loose business for that July 4th event.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was. All they needed to do was just make it bigger and base if off an existing wheel.

Just place it in Coney Island, many people will ride another amusement ride at an amusement park which was made long ago. If in Staten, to bring more tourists and New Yorkers to the area, they have to connect the Staten Island Railway to the (1) or (R) in my opinion. Well, this (connection of the SIR to the rest of the subway) may not even happen, as some Staten Islanders still think of a dirty NYC subway in the 1970s, and also the budget needed to do so.

It'll never fly. It'll overshadow the famous Wonder wheel and I don't think the residents there would be happy to see such a large wheel there obstructing their view.

Another amusement park? We have Six Flags further down Jersey, Coney Island right there and probably a few more around the area. I'm sure another amusement park is not needed.

And SIx Flags brings tourism dollars to NYC how? Amusement Park in SI is to bring $$$$$ here.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was. All they needed to do was just make it bigger and base if off an existing wheel.

It'll never fly. It'll overshadow the famous Wonder wheel and I don't think the residents there would be happy to see such a large wheel there obstructing their view.

You are totally right. Adding more ferris wheels in the Big Apple will just take off the Wonder Wheel. That's enough.

Archived