Manhattan Bridge Reconstruction Project / 7 Year Anniversary Thread

Today is July 22, 2008.

7 Years ago Today on Sunday July 22, 2001, the following changes took effect:

In Brooklyn:

The (:) is replaced by the (W) between Pacific St & Stillwell Av.

The (D) is replaced by (Q) Local Service between DeKalb Av & Stillwell Av.

The (Q6) is replaced by <Q> Express Service between DeKalb Av & Brighton Beach (Began on Monday July 23, 2001)

What ran out of Coney Island and where did it run to on this Sunday, July 22, 2001? :

(F) & (N) Service was Normal.

(Q) Service is the same since it began on July 22, 01.

-Coney Island-Stillwell Av To Midtown-57 St / 7 Av;

Brighton Local / South Side of the Manhattan Bridge / Broadway Express.

All Times

(W) Service on Weekends was Brooklyn Service Only

Coney Island-Stillwell Av To Atlantic Av-Pacific St;

West End Local / 4 Avenue Express.

Weekend Late Nights to Sunset Park-36 St / 4 Av, Only.

Where can I catch a (B)&(D) Train Today?

Well, your not finding a (B) Train on a Sunday anymore. Sorry to break your heart, however you can pick up the (D) Train at its new Terminus in Midtown. Take the (F)(N)(Q) to Herald Square-34 St where Uptown & The Bronx (D) Service is available.

What's the (D) Train's Service look like now?

(D) Service Now Runs between:

Norwood-205 St, Bronx & Herald Square-34 St, Manhattan, Only.

All Times

Concourse Local / Central Park West Express / 6 Av Line

How Do I access Brooklyn from Herald Square-34 St ON THE (D)?

At Herald Square-34 St, Change for the (Q) Train to Continue on the Brighton Line, OR Change for the (N) (Via Tunnel) or (Q) (Via Bridge) to Atlantic Av-Pacific St for (W) Service to access the West End Line.

How Do I get to 6 Av from the Brighton Line Now?

Take the (Q) to Herald Square-34 St, and transfer to the Uptown & The Bronx (D), (F), & / or 6 Av (S) Shuttle.

*This Thread is made for those of us who remember these major changes, and for anybody who would like to learn more, or just sharpen their knowledge about the Southern BMT*

Zachary

Today is July 22, 2008.

*This Thread is made for those of us who remember these major changes, and for anybody who would like to learn more, or just sharpen their knowledge about the Southern BMT*

Zachary

Let me add something to your list, the Grand Street Shuttle: July to November, the (S) ran between Grand and Broadway Lafayette Streets. You still had to transfer to the (F) or 6 Av (S) to 34th Street for (:)(D).

At Grand Street, there was no Brooklyn Bound service, only the (S) to Broadway Lafayette at the time, so you had to ride the Shuttle Bus to Canal Street for the (Q)<Q> and (W) trains.

The Grand Street Shuttle was extended to West 4th Street after the 6 Av shuttle was replaced the (F) at 63rd Street. The 53rd Street Connector (F) train was replaced by the (V).

Let me add something to your list, the Grand Street Shuttle: July to November, the (S) ran between Grand and Broadway Lafayette Streets. You still had to transfer to the (F) or 6 Av (S) to 34th Street for (:)(D).

At Grand Street, there was no Brooklyn Bound service, only the (S) to Broadway Lafayette at the time, so you had to ride the Shuttle Bus to Canal Street for the (Q)<Q> and (W) trains.

The Grand Street Shuttle was extended to West 4th Street after the 6 Av shuttle was replaced the (F) at 63rd Street. The 53rd Street Connector (F) train was replaced by the (V).

I do apologize :eek: for leaving out the Grand St Shuttle, as I did mention the 6 Av (S) briefly.

I do apologize :eek: for leaving out the Grand St Shuttle, as I did mention the 6 Av (S) briefly.

Grand Street in Chinatown is a station that's used a lot. You have to consider people who are trying to go to Brooklyn, who didn't have direct subway service since the (:)(D) and former (Q6) didn't serve that station, due to that track work on the Manhattan Bridge's North Tracks. They either had the (S) shuttle to Broadway Lafayette Street or the Shuttle bus to Canal Street staion ((J)(M)(N)(Q)<Q>(R)(W)(Z)(6) and <6>)

Grand Street in Chinatown is a station that's used a lot. You have to consider people who are trying to go to Brooklyn, who didn't have direct subway service since the (:)(D) and former (Q6) didn't serve that station, due to that three year track work. They either had the (S) shuttle to Broadway Lafayette Street or the Shuttle bus to Canal Street staion ((J)(M)(N)(Q)<Q>(R)(W)(Z)(6) and <6>)

Yes.

The (Q)<Q> service at that time was funny. Everyone on the Brighton Line often jumped from a (Q) Brighton Local to <Q> Brighton Express. It's so funny watching people react to a <Q> express train just leaving an express station, when they're riding a (Q) local train that is just entering an express station (Sheepshead Bay, Kings Highway, Newkirk Avenue, and Church Avenue. Funny faces like :eek: :confused: B) :mad: I go :). Their reactions are so funny. The (Q)<Q> are going to Manhattan anyways, what's the big difference? Only 10 minutes.

The (Q)<Q> service at that time was funny. Everyone on the Brighton Line often jumped from a (Q) Brighton Local to <Q> Brighton Express. It's so funny watching people react to a <Q> express train just leaving an express station, when they're riding a (Q) local train that is just entering an express station (Sheepshead Bay, Kings Highway, Newkirk Avenue, and Church Avenue. Funny faces like :eek: :confused: B) :mad: I go :). Their reactions are so funny. The (Q)<Q> are going to Manhattan anyways, what's the big difference? Only 10 minutes.

Its always been like that on Brighton. No matter what routes were running side by side. Its still like that.

Its always been like that on Brighton. No matter what routes were running side by side. Its still like that.

Well on my observations, not exactly. Not too many people jump from (Q) to (:) today as much as (Q) to <Q> back in July 2001- Feb 2004. People don't jump on express trains from local trains, just because it's slightly faster, it's going to their destination as well, Express and Local trains go through different routes.

(Q)<Q> in this case had the same destination in Manhattan, let alone both ran in Broadway in Manhattan so not just a few people, but a large group of people jumping on express from local since the express is going the same route as the local.

(B)(Q), not so much, (B) to 6 Avenue and (Q) to Express.

By the way, (Q) and <Q> riders had to transfer to (D)(F), and (S) for 6 Avenue stations. The (V) replaced the 6 Av (S) in December 2001.

Well on my observations, not exactly. Not too many people jump from (Q) to (:) today as much as (Q) to <Q> back in July 2001- Feb 2004. People don't jump on express trains from local trains, just because it's slightly faster, it's going to their destination as well, Express and Local trains go through different routes.

(Q)<Q> in this case had the same destination in Manhattan, let alone both ran in Broadway in Manhattan so not just a few people, but a large group of people jumping on express from local since the express is going the same route as the local.

(B)(Q), not so much, (B) to 6 Avenue and (Q) to Express.

By the way, (Q) and <Q> riders had to transfer to (D)(F), and (S) for 6 Avenue stations. The (V) replaced the 6 Av (S) in December 2001.

Ok, maybe not on your clock, but I witness ( and have been for years ) is the jumping of back and forth, from Local to Express.

And yes, I mentioned the (Q) to (D)/6 Av Transfer in the first response I put up today. No need for you to click back, ill just paste What I typed in my novel up top:

[quote name=Brighton Local

How Do I get to 6 Av from the Brighton Line Now?

Take the (Q) to Herald Square-34 St, and transfer to the Uptown & The Bronx (D), (F), & / or 6 Av (S) Shuttle.

This day marks the 7th Year the (W) Train has been operating throughout New Yawk City. Happy B-Day to the (W)!:)

The (W) used R68A's only I believe or you may have pointed that out already.

(W) trains ran express (peak-direction) in Astoria between Astoria Blvd and Queensboro Plaza. *

(W) ran express via Broadway from 34th Street Herald Square to Canal Street, then on South Tracks of Manhattan Bridge.

(W) is express in 4th Avenue in Brooklyn, then via New Utrecht Avenue Local to Coney Island.

*The Astoria Express (W) and Astoria Local (N) was not very popular because people at the local stations along Astoria lamented that the wait times for (N) were much longer, with the addition that the majority of the Astoria Residents used the local stations to access the (N) and (W) trains.

Thus the (N) was overcrowded.

The (W) express in Astoria ended in 2002.

The (W) used R68A's only I believe or you may have pointed that out already.

(W) trains ran express (peak-direction) in Astoria between Astoria Blvd and Queensboro Plaza. *

(W) ran express via Broadway from 34th Street Herald Square to Canal Street, then on South Tracks of Manhattan Bridge.

(W) is express in 4th Avenue in Brooklyn, then via New Utrecht Avenue Local to Coney Island.

*The Astoria Express (W) and Astoria Local (N) was not very popular because people at the local stations along Astoria lamented that the wait times for (N) were much longer, with the addition that the majority of the Astoria Residents used the local stations to access the (N) and (W) trains.

Thus the (N) was overcrowded.

The (W) express in Astoria ended in 2002.

I was going to put up the Weekday Service Changes tomorrow. If you haven't noticed, Im displaying the routes to the-exact-day.

On 7-22-01, the (W) never saw Manhattan. Tomorrow would be 7-23-01, the first weekday service pattern.

The (W) used R68A's PURELY UNTIL September 2002, Then used R32s/R40s/R40Ms/R68s ALONG with its regular R68A Fleet, WEEKENDS ONLY. Weekdays after 9-2002, it was mixed with R68/R68A's.

Well Today is July 23, 2008.

Today is the first day the South Side of the Manhattan Bridge would be utilized to its full capacity.

7 years ago Today on Monday, July 23, 2001, the following Changes went into Full effect on the (:P(D)(Q)<Q>(W):

(:)Concourse / Central Pk West Local / 6 Av Line

Rush Hours: Bedford Park Blvd, Bronx to Herald Square-34 St, Manhattan

Middays:Harlem-145 St to Herald Square-34 St, Manhattan

No Night or Weekend Service

*Transfer to Brooklyn (W) at 34 St

(D)Concourse Local / Central Pk West Express / 6 Av Line

All Times:Norwood-205 St, Bronx to Herald Square-34 St

Rush Hours: Via Concourse Express; Peak Direction

*Transfer to Brooklyn (Q)<Q> at 34 St

(Q)Broadway Express / Brighton Local

All Times: Midtown-57 St/7 Av, Manhattan to Coney Island, Brooklyn

<Q>Broadway / Brighton Express

Weekdays 7am-9pm: Midtown-57 St/7 Av, Manhattan to Brighton Beach, Brooklyn

*Transfer to Uptown & The Bronx (D) at 34 St

(W)Astoria / Broadway / 4 Av Express / West End Local

Rush Hours/Weekday Middays: Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, Queens to Coney Island, Brooklyn; Via Astoria Express, Peak Direction.

Weekday Evenings after 9pm: Midtown-57 St/7 Av Manhattan, to Coney Island, Brooklyn

Late Nights; Via West End Shuttle: Sunset Park-36 St/4 Av to Coney Island, Brooklyn

* Transfer to Uptown & The Bronx (B) at 34 St

In addition:

(S)63 St / 6 Av Shuttle

All Times: 21 St-QueensBridge, Queens to Broadway Lafayette, Manhattan

(S)Grand Street Shuttle

All Times: Broadway-Lafayette to Grand St, Manhattan

(F)(M)(N)(R) Service Normal.

Fleet Roster:

(B) / (D) - Concourse R68's

(Q) - Some Concourse R68s / Coney Island R68s

<Q> R40 Slants

(W) Coney Island R68A's

(S) 63 St; 6 Car R32s from Jamaica or Coney Island

(S) Grand St; 4 Car R46's from Jamaica

The (Q)<Q>(W) fleet would swap up by September 8, 2002 when Stillwell Reconstruction Began.

The Manhattan Bridge Closure affected 600,000 daily riders.:eek:

Any Questions.. lets keep the converstaion going, and post below:D

Zachary

Well Today is July 23, 2008.

Fleet Roster:

(:P / (D) - Concourse R68's

(Q) - Some Concourse R68s / Coney Island R68s

<Q> R40 Slants

(W) Coney Island R68A's

(S) 63 St; 6 Car R32s from Jamaica or Coney Island

(S) Grand St; 4 Car R46's from Jamaica

The (Q)<Q>(W) fleet would swap up by September 8, 2002 when Stillwell Reconstruction Began.

The Manhattan Bridge Closure affected 600,000 daily riders.:eek:

Any Questions.. lets keep the conversation going, and post below:D

Zachary

With the (Q) using the Concourse R68 meaning the lowered numbered R68, how did the cars get transferred to Concourse Yard from Stillwell Avenue Yard?

The (:)(D) used only R68's that's true

That would be the only time R46's appeared regularly on Grand Street. On the (S).

With the (Q) using the Concourse R68 meaning the lowered numbered R68, how did the cars get transferred to Concourse Yard from Stillwell Avenue Yard?

The (:P(D) used only R68's that's true

That would be the only time R46's appeared regularly on Grand Street. On the (S).

The (Q) fleet Consisted of Concourse 2720s & higher, with the addition of Coney Island's R68s. However, in October of 2001, 2500/2501/2503/2502 made its way from Concourse back to Coney Island, and Ran on the (Q) for a little while.

How did Concourse R68s get to Coney Island Yard when the Bridge Was Closed? Run down Concourse / Central Pk West / 6 Av , switch to the (F) Line down the Crosstown / Culver OR, run down 8 Av to Jay St , then the (F) to Coney Island.

OR

This would be the psychotic way to do it: Run down to Rockefeller Center-47/50 Sts, Reverse to 63rd St, relay back to Broadway Via 57 St/7 Av, then down Broadway to either the Bridge for Brighton or 4 Av or Tunnel to Coney Island.

Zach

The most ironic thing I found out about the Grand Street Shuttle (S) was the use of R46 cars, back in the day, not the R68 cars, like the ones on Franklin Avenue (S). I don't know but back then, I'm like huh? Doesn't the Concourse Yard (:P(D) have extra cars for this (S)?

The most ironic thing I found out about the Grand Street Shuttle (S) was the use of R46 cars, back in the day, not the R68 cars, like the ones on Franklin Avenue (S). I don't know but back then, I'm like huh? Doesn't the Concourse Yard (:P(D) have extra cars for this (S)?

Concourse Might have had extra cars, but no Concourse Trains were going to run through there, so why put 68s on that route? Now that you bring that up, it actually makes sense that 46s went on the (S)huttle. It was only the (F) and the 6 Av (S) running up and & down 6 Av, so all Jamaicas Cars were running the show.

The (M) train during the Manhattan Bridge Service Changes.

Although this wasn't brought up, the (M)'s midday terminal was extended past Chambers Street to 9th Avenue and West End. The reason why the (M) was extended to Brooklyn via West End on 9th Avenue is because people didn't have the former (:P train to Grand Street, again a high demanding station, directly and Bowery (J)(M)(Z) was the nearest walking distance station.

So (M)'s service went as follows

1. (M) Metropolitan Avenue Queens-to Bay Parkway Brooklyn. All stops throughout Myrtle Avenue, Broadway, Williamsburg Bridge, Nassau, 4th Avenue, and West End.

2. (M) Metropolitan Avenue Queens to 9th Avenue West End Brooklyn. All stops

3. (M) Metropolitan Avenue Queens to Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn, (S)huttle.

The nearest alternate Station to Grand Street (S) was Bowery (J)(M)(Z)

The (M) train during the Manhattan Bridge Service Changes.

Although this wasn't brought up, the (M)'s midday terminal was extended past Chambers Street to 9th Avenue and West End. The reason why the (M) was extended to Brooklyn via West End on 9th Avenue is because people didn't have the former (:P train to Grand Street, again a high demanding station, directly and Bowery (J)(M)(Z) was the nearest walking distance station.

So (M)'s service went as follows

1. (M) Metropolitan Avenue Queens-to Bay Parkway Brooklyn. All stops throughout Myrtle Avenue, Broadway, Williamsburg Bridge, Nassau, 4th Avenue, and West End.

2. (M) Metropolitan Avenue Queens to 9th Avenue West End Brooklyn. All stops

3. (M) Metropolitan Avenue Queens to Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn, (S)huttle.

The nearest alternate Station to Grand Street (S) was Bowery (J)(M)(Z)

I believe the (M) was extended to 9 Av later on, possibly December 2001 or in the beginning of 2002. The (M) terminated at Bay Pkwy, rush hours only as soon as the (W) started, and was still cut back to Chambers, weekday middays.

I believe the (M) was extended to 9 Av later on, possibly December 2001 or in the beginning of 2002. The (M) terminated at Bay Pkwy, rush hours only as soon as the (W) started, and was still cut back to Chambers, weekday middays.

That can explain in the July 2001 map why the (M) still terminated at Chambers Street.

well after 9-11 equipment was shifted everywhere because the lines were so severely changed

i remember seeing a whole bunch of R-46 (E) trains, Some R-32's on the (Q) and there were indeed a couple of R-40's on the (J) & (M)...even before/after 9/11 you would occasionally see an R-40 on the (M) line as well as the (J) & (L)........soon the entire eastern division will be R-143's & R-160's:(

Archived