Q44 Limited Late Evening idea? Expand service until Midnight weekdays

Shortline Bus

Hey guys. On my birthday 9/26/12 I went to meet a cousin at Queens Center Mall and had dinner at the Applebees on Queens Blvd. After that, went on "mini" bus fanning tour. Took the Q88(starting at QC Mall)then Q44 and finally to BX9 to 225th St/Broadway to connect with MNRR 12:27AM Northbound train at Marble Hill.

However the basic focus involves this suggestion? Why does the Q44 Limited end at around 1030pm? I boarded at Horace Harding(LIE)& Main St at around 11pm for Bronx bound Q44 making all stops. I was happy for 1st time to ride the new artics on the line. Between Harding/LIE and Main/Roosevelt bus had at most only 20 riders including me, Then we get to Main/Roosevelt and the bus filled up fast. By time, we left the famous transit hub for (7) line Queens Terminal, there was several people standing even on an artic now on the Q44.

From Flushing-Parkchester, there was standees(not crushloaded though) for almost rest of trip. So wondering what you think of running the Q44 Limited until Midnight at least weekdays. The Q53 does so why not the Q44?

Reactions?

Hey guys. On my birthday 9/26/12 I went to meet a cousin at Queens Center Mall and had dinner at the Applebees on Queens Blvd. After that, went on "mini" bus fanning tour. Took the Q88(starting at QC Mall)then Q44 and finally to BX9 to 225th St/Broadway to connect with MNRR 12:27AM Northbound train at Marble Hill.

However the basic focus involves this suggestion? Why does the Q44 Limited end at around 1030pm? I boarded at Horace Harding(LIE)& Main St at around 11pm for Bronx bound Q44 making all stops. I was happy for 1st time to ride the new artics on the line. Between Harding/LIE and Main/Roosevelt bus had at most only 20 riders including me, Then we get to Main/Roosevelt and the bus filled up fast. By time, we left the famous transit hub for (7) line Queens Terminal, there was several people standing even on an artic now on the Q44.

From Flushing-Parkchester, there was standees(not crushloaded though) for almost rest of trip. So wondering what you think of running the Q44 Limited until Midnight at least weekdays. The Q53 does so why not the Q44?

Reactions?

Maybe not all night but at least until 1:15 am.

It justifies running less Q20's during those hours.....

Not sure what the Q53 has to do with the Q44, but the Q53 never ran locally along Woodhaven with the Q11 being a 24/7 route....

The Q20 isn't a 24/7 route.... IIRC, it stops running to [jamaica from college pt] & [college pt. from jamaica] around midnight....

It justifies running less Q20's during those hours.....

Not sure what the Q53 has to do with the Q44, but the Q53 never ran locally along Woodhaven with the Q11 being a 24/7 route....

The Q20 isn't a 24/7 route.... IIRC, it stops running to [jamaica from college pt] & [college pt. from jamaica] around midnight....

So B35 what you suggest for late evening Main St Q44/Q20 service? Based on story i stated. I admit i never been on Q44 overnights. However based from several times driving on Whitestone Bridge at 2-3am in morning, I noticed only 10-15 people max riding the Q44 Jamaica Bound. Thus I agree with current (MTA) pattern of running it all stops between say 12 Midnight-530am and extended to 7am Sundays. It's the time between 1030pm-Midnight that should be beefed up Main St service.

So B35 what you suggest for late evening Main St Q44/Q20 service? Based on story i stated. I admit i never been on Q44 overnights. However based from several times driving on Whitestone Bridge at 2-3am in morning, I noticed only 10-15 people max riding the Q44 Jamaica Bound. Thus I agree with current (MTA) pattern of running it all stops between say 12 Midnight-530am and extended to 7am Sundays. It's the time between 1030pm-Midnight that should be beefed up Main St service.

I wouldn't touch it.... Haven't rode the 44 late nights enough to suggest anything....

...and I most certainly wouldn't make suggestions for a route based on one occurrence/instance/trip.

Especially suggesting some change to a route after reading someone else's trip report.....

I've been on the Q44 Late Night Service. Its pretty fast. No need for LTD late. After the last Q44 finishes LTD, the first few locals between 10 and 12 isn't that bad. It still gets the crowd in Flushing, but thats not a big deal, in my view. Later than 12 not that many people coming from Flushing gets on.

That's exactly how I remember the few late night 44's I been on, as being.....

My last Q44 LTD ride was about a week ago to the Airport (to drop someone off). The driver on the 3:30-4AM bus was driving so fast in the Bronx and on Main Street, felt like we already on the Expressway. About 45 mph I captured on my Phones speed app. For how many passengers were on board, not that much. Enough seats on the LFSA.

The Q44 is doing just fine in the late night. Thank god it runs about every 20-30min late night.

Im an operator on the Q44 and from my point of view, Limited service is not needed that late. As stated, it justifies with Q20 not being run as often, since very few people are actually going to and from College Point that late and just use it to go to stops along Main and union sts. Also, late nights, despite being local, the Q44 only takes just over an hour to travel between Jamaica and the Bronx zoo. I leave the zoo tonight at 9pm and im scheduled to arrive at Merrick Blvd/ Archer ave at 10:08 at a LTD(68min trip). My next trip is local to the Bronx. I leave Jamaica at 10:27pm and get to the zoo at 11:34(67min trip). So despite being local at night, the Q44 is just as fast if not faster than the Q44LTD at earlier times due to less traffic and passengers. I hardly stop at the local stops and when I do, only 1 or 2 people get on or off so it doesnt take much time at all. My last trip on sunday night/ monday morning, I leave the zoo as a local at 12:18am and arrive at the last stop in Jamaica at 1:17am(59min trip). The previous trip in the same direction as a LTD I leave the zoo at 944pm and arrive at 10:51pm(67min trip). So late night it takes me 8 min less as a local to do the same trip as it would Limited 2.5 hours earlier. So basically, its all in your head!

I've been on the Q44 Late Night Service. Its pretty fast. No need for LTD late. After the last Q44 finishes LTD, the first few locals between 10 and 12 isn't that bad. It still gets the crowd in Flushing, but thats not a big deal, in my view. Later than 12 not that many people coming from Flushing gets on.

I agree, the local itself is pretty fast on its own after 10:30PM. I've had some really fast rides on the line coming home from Flushing. Sometimes once you pass Horace Harding, they just fly down Main until they get to Jewel or 73rd. Often times, passengers dont even stop inbetween said stops!

Archived