Which Queens bus route is best to become select bus service.

depotofrelax

Now Staten Island have own it Select Bus Service that S79 , now 4 borough have select bus service. Which Queens route would best fit to become select bus service. Bx41 is the next Bronx route become select bus service.

First of all its not 4 boroughs with sbs....its 4 lines...2 manhattan 1 bronx...1 staten island...none in brooklyn or queens...only line I see in queens...may be the q46....and brooklyn...b44 coming next year...

Some of the suggestions for SBS corridors are intentionally pretty vague. For example, "Third/Webster Ave" which could refer to either the Bx41 or Bx55. Of course, now we know the 41 is the one chosen, and likewise 'Third Ave' hasn't been mentioned once, so plans for the Bx55 are a crapshoot (or just elimination).

I'd imagine some of these ideas for SBS routes will remain just that, for various reasons.

southeast queen's, flushing-jamaica, and woodhaven would be my top 3 choices. Merrick Blvd is practically already a huge candidate IMO. Use the Q5 for its full coverage of Merrick. Flushing-jamaica already has artics but from my Personal experiences, the current combo of 20lcl/44ltd is doing its job. Woodhaven has 4 major routes covering its length. This route would honestly be on top of my list. The route numbers will distinguish its destination. And it has the street-space. Most would think queen's Blvd, but traffic may negate the whole purpose of SBS.

OT, I don't understand the South Bronx route. From its quick description, it sounds like it would be the bx5. Being practically raised on that route, I only see its usefulness as SBS as a supplement, or combo service for Pelham and white Plains road service. It saves the walk to westchester Ave for 6 and provides a quicker trip to Lex express and 7th Ave service from Simpson st. In the bx, I would go with third Ave/Webster Ave service or the bx39. But I really don't see the 39 as a prime candidate.

And honestly, and I think I may know one other person who may agree with me on this following candidate, I really don't see the M14 working. Although ridership may warrant it, traffic however, would kill it. Especially around union square. I think 5th/Madison may work better.

As for Brooklyn, flatbush's b41, and nostrand's b44 should be prime candidates. With my personal "let's study the option" option of extending said SBS service to riis pk for summer service maybe.

As far as downtown Brooklyn/ridgewood, what about the b54 along myrtle? It use to have a rail line? Maybe it can become a major transit corridor again as SBS? It's a maybe, but can be looked into.

The Q60 isn't utilized heavily enough to get SBS in my opinion. The Q46 could theoretically use it, but union turnpike is too jammed as it is to lose a whole lane to buses. That is the problem with most of Queens. SBS works well on avenues and relatively large streets that. Are not broken up with pedestrian islands, etc. that's tough to find in queens

I've seen the Q60 a few times with the buses so packed you weren't allowed on and that was last Saturday I think

In my opinion

They just need to reduce headway and the route will be fine, they don't need full-out SBS. That line never got the attention it deserves, probably because, for the most part, it just follows the same route as the E and F down Queens Blvd. Most of the people I see on it are old people that don't want to negogiate the subway.

First of all its not 4 boroughs with sbs....its 4 lines...2 manhattan 1 bronx...1 staten island...none in brooklyn or queens...only line I see in queens...may be the q46....and brooklyn...b44 coming next year...

Technically yes it's 4 boroughs with SBS. Brooklyn, SI, Manhattan, and the Bronx. Anyways, IMO, Here are my candidates for SBS:

Queens:

Q25/Q34 Kissena Blvd Corridor

Q46 Union Turnpike Corridor

Also, I would like for the MTA to consider making some buses have limited stop varients

Queens

Q88 Woodhaven Blvd Corridor

And as well have place Artics on some routes

Brooklyn

B41,B46,B44,B15

Queens

Q60,Q64 trippers, Q88

What about the Q52/Q53 for SBS? IDK, just throwing it out there due to the size of the streets.

While yeah its a good idea, The problem is is that a regular sized bus won't fit all those people. If the 52/53 both get SBS, nothing (In 52 ridership terms) would change.And the line at the SBS paying machines would be huge at several stops, even if you put like 3/4 of them. If one of those lines got it , I'd do the 52 only with SBS than 53, since the MTA created the 52 mostly to get people off from the 53.

i take the b38 daily and that bus really really needs SBS. The limited bus does not help at all, buses still get over crowded within the first 10 or stops in downtown brooklyn.

I'm still surprised LTD was able to be instituted there, as narrow and congested as the streets are. I see they actually have Bushwick-Downtown corridor proposed, though it doesn't say which route. I would think Myrtle (B54) would be better for that, and basically replace the old el.

I would also like to see it use Park Av. to Bway, which is even wider. (This would be to make it faster for those on the Bushwick end, though it would help Bed-Stuy by taking riders off of the local route).

Technically yes it's 4 boroughs with SBS. Brooklyn, SI, Manhattan, and the Bronx. Anyways, IMO, Here are my candidates for SBS:

Queens:

The B44 is scheduled to get it, but it doesn't have it yet.

While yeah its a good idea, The problem is is that a regular sized bus won't fit all those people. If the 52/53 both get SBS, nothing (In 52 ridership terms) would change.And the line at the SBS paying machines would be huge at several stops, even if you put like 3/4 of them. If one of those lines got it , I'd do the 52 only with SBS than 53, since the MTA created the 52 mostly to get people off from the 53.

The SBS route is generally the more frequent one, so if anything, it should be the Q53 getting it. I don't see the point in giving it to one, but not the other. You have the ticket machines and Eagle Team there anyway, so you might as well do both. The only thing is that I think the machines can only make receipts for one route, but you could just rename the Q52 as Q53A the same way they did on 34th Street.

Archived