Which Queens bus route is best to become select bus service.

depotofrelax

Q53 for sure should become the SBS route.

I would say the Q44 but Flushing would be the big problem because of the traffic.

Q60 will have to get LTD because the street is narrow.

For the Q44, don't forget Flushing businesses who would strongly oppose bus lanes, or anything that would take away their parking spots.

The Q46 dnt need no sbs service that bus is not long even if it has traffic its not long. sbs is needed on longer route buses like the Q60, Q44, and the Q53

Are you kidding me? The damn route runs pretty much to Long Island from Kew Gardens and it picks up WAAAAY more people than the Q60. The Q60 doesn't need SBS simply because you have the subway....that's really redundant. The Q44 doesn't need it either.

Queens needs atleast one north/south and one east west.

I would think the 58 would be a candidate for atleast an S79 type SBS, as it travles between two transportation hubs (Ridgewood Intermodle and Flushing-Main Street). It would therefore be able to transfer to the Ridgewood-Downtown Brooklyn SBS, whichever line is picked. the Myrtle ave, Halsey St and Gates ave lines at Wyckoff Terminal, the Dekalb at Seneca Ave. that would connect with the B44SBS.

SBS from Flushing to Kings Plaza...

the Q46 is a 40 min or 35 min ride the Q60 is a 1 hour and 30 sometimes close to 2 hours and the Q44 is like the same the same amount of mins

Um, time doesnt actually matter to a certain degree, its more about passengers and consistency. The Q46 LTD takes a little over an hour to reach North Shore LIJ. The Q60 doesn't take more than an hour to get to Manhattan or especially since you have the subway down below. The Q60 is more of a line for the elderly that can't go into the subway. Hell, the line itself isn't even warranted for articulated buses!

The Q46 local from North Shore or Kew Gardens takes about 1 hour and 15 mins to 1 hour and 30 mins to get from end to end whereas the LTD takes about an hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. And if you check statistics, the line has more higher ridership than the Q60 which makes it a better candidate for SBS. The Q60 on a good day would take only 45 minutes to an hour, stop exaggerating the time.

The Q44 could get it, but the ridership is not there just as yet.

Um, time doesnt actually matter to a certain degree, its more about passengers and consistency. The Q46 LTD takes a little over an hour to reach North Shore LIJ. The Q60 doesn't take more than an hour to get to Manhattan or especially since you have the subway down below. The Q60 is more of a line for the elderly that can't go into the subway. Hell, the line itself isn't even warranted for articulated buses!

The Q46 local from North Shore or Kew Gardens takes about 1 hour and 15 mins to 1 hour and 30 mins to get from end to end whereas the LTD takes about an hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. And if you check statistics, the line has more higher ridership than the Q60 which makes it a better candidate for SBS. The Q60 on a good day would take only 45 minutes to an hour, stop exaggerating the time.

The Q44 could get it, but the ridership is not there just as yet.

People can argue that the S79 ridership isn't there yet. I say the S79 should of gotten LTD.

The Q60 I agree shouldn't get SBS or artics, but a Limited Stop Service could be questionable.

The Q44 ridership is not too far off from the M15, BX12 and M34/A.

The Q20/Q44 ridership is almost equal to the other SBS routes.

The Q46 is a good route to get SBS and is a straight route which makes things better.

the Q46 is a 40 min or 35 min ride the Q60 is a 1 hour and 30 sometimes close to 2 hours and the Q44 is like the same the same amount of mins

So going by your logic, then the following routes should get SBS...

-B8...90-100 minutes

-M5...90+ minutes (and that's on a good day lol)

-M101...100 minutes

Just because the line is long, doesn't mean it should get the SBS treatment. The Q60 doesn't need it for the simple fact that the (7)(E)(F)(M)(R) all trail it above or below at one point or another

I really see the Q44 becoming Select in the near future, the ridership is high enough.

In that case, stops in Flushing will have to have instructions posted in languages such as Chinese & Korean.

The M15 NEEDED SBS. It's the second most used bus route in the US. The Q44 is no where near it in terms of ridership.

What about that S79 no where near the M15 ridership. The Q44 is able to get SBS if the S79 could.

See everyone is saying that the Q44 can't get SBS but look at the S79 ridership. The line doesn't even run artics unlike the Q44.

GC, you made a great point using the S79. And as far as artics, neither does 34th street. I guess in those to cases, the fact that they run along a major corridor is another factor. And in the S79's case, it connects to a subway line as well.

NIMBY-Not In My Back Yard

GC, you made a great point using the S79. And as far as artics, neither does 34th street. I guess in those to cases, the fact that they run along a major corridor is another factor. And in the S79's case, it connects to a subway line as well.

NIMBY-Not In My Back Yard

34th needs artics period... Use the routes more then once and you will find out why.

The Q44 definitely needs the Select Bus Treatment from Parkchester to Jamaica, I can't believe people are still saying it doesn't. I literally almost missed my stop because of the load of people and the PM Dismissal of High School Students along the corridor, even the novaBUS LFSA's seem packed.

@Dan I didn't say the 34's didn't need artics, I said they don't have any. And I do walk along that route a lot. (I learned walking is faster Crosstown then taking the bus.) Buses are indeed packed. But so are most Crosstown routes. Some have said 14th would be SBS. It has he ridership and the artics, but traffic would nullify it. It all comes down to all the factors in the selected route.

@keystone although the Q44 has most of the characteristics for SBS, it's still a pretty fast route and yes, I do use it more than "once in a while".

Queens just happens to be one of the boros where SBS candidates are abundant. But you can't make every crowded, long, artic-dominated route SBS. And another issue with queens, as mentioned before, is that most depots can't accommodate artics. CS obviously can, BP had one a few years back, im not sure about jamaica(Q5) and I highly doubt LGA can and I know FR* (for now) can't. (Woodhaven) *half of it is new, half old.

What about that S79 no where near the M15 ridership. The Q44 is able to get SBS if the S79 could.

See everyone is saying that the Q44 can't get SBS but look at the S79 ridership. The line doesn't even run artics unlike the Q44.

When it comes down to the usage in the borough, the S79 takes the cake along with the St. George routes.

Q53 for sure should become the SBS route.

I would say the Q44 but Flushing would be the big problem because of the traffic.

Q60 will have to get LTD because the street is narrow.

The real problem for the Q44 though is dwell time at stops. SBS could fix that problem.

Archived