Which Queens bus route is best to become select bus service.

depotofrelax

My take on the Q46 - No, it does not need +SBS+, but every other bus should be an articulated bus during peak hours. Still the route is sufficiently fast and there are only riders at select stops most of the time.

My take on the Q53 - Though it is ideal for Articulated Buses, it doesn't need +SBS+, basically the ridership has a slow but steady drop as it goes south on Woodhaven Blvd./Cross Bay Blvd.

Mainly, the two routes above are mostly heavy in certain sections, Articulated Buses would relieve the route and help improve flow of passengers.

@keystone although the Q44 has most of the characteristics for SBS, it's still a pretty fast route and yes, I do use it more than "once in a while".

Queens just happens to be one of the boros where SBS candidates are abundant. But you can't make every crowded, long, artic-dominated route SBS. And another issue with queens, as mentioned before, is that most depots can't accommodate artics. CS obviously can, BP had one a few years back, im not sure about jamaica(Q5) and I highly doubt LGA can and I know FR* (for now) can't. (Woodhaven) *half of it is new, half old.

I don't necessarily believe that speed is a sufficient factor for the Q44 to not get SBS, I dislike the dwell time as mentioned, too many students and Bronx <-> Queens commuters use it, and I can safely say that route needs SBS as much as the route needs a subway, but that's a much more expensive thing, so SBS can do since there are a lot of riders in almost every stop.

As for Artics, there are currently only two routes in Queens that has it full time, the M60 and Q44, so they have yet to prove on other routes, like those mentioned above.

Archived