City Officials Propose Redesign for Central Park Drives, a la Prospect

IntExp

Screen-shot-2012-09-21-at-5.53.38-PM.png

Central Park Roadways Will Get More Room for Cyclists and Pedestrians

by Stephen Miller

This evening, DOT, the Parks Department and the Central Park Conservancy announced a change to road configurations in Central Park similar to recent changes in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park. The plan [PDF] would double available pedestrian space and bring the installation of plastic posts to separate cyclists from walkers and joggers.

DOT said that it has notified local elected officials and community board leadership of the proposal and will begin implementation in October.

Lane configurations would vary within the park, but would in most locations reduce the number of motor vehicle lanes to provide more space for pedestrians and cyclists.

When reached via phone earlier today before the changes were officially announced, a spokesperson for Gale Brewer said the Upper West Side council member, a long-time advocate for car-free parks, would welcome a roadway design similar to what has been implemented in Prospect Park.

Transportation Alternatives also voiced support for the design. “Parks are for people and that’s why we’ve long supported a car-free Central Park,” TA said in a statement earlier today. “However, in the meantime, separate spaces could help. It’s a proven fact that separate spaces for pedestrians, bicyclists and drivers keep everyone out of each other’s way and out of harm’s way.”

Central Park Roadway Redesign Will Make More Room For Runners, Cyclists

Heads up bikers, walkers, amblers, joggers, and runners: the Central Park roadways are about to get a little makeover for you! The DOT, Parks Department and Central Park Conservatory announced last night that they'll be redesigning the roads to make more space for cyclists and pedestrian—by cutting down car lanes.

The redesign will double pedestrian walking space, separating a lane for pedestrians and child cyclists from a slow and fast lane for adult cyclists and leaving one lane for vehicle traffic, a la Prospect Park. The plan also calls for the installation of plastic posts that would create a physical barrier between cyclists and pedestrians; at a Central Park Precinct Community Council meeting earlier this month, attendees noted rising tension between cyclists and pedestrians, particularly joggers, when it came to hogging the non-vehicle lane.

The plan even appeals to Central Park's anti-car advocates; Transportation Alternatives said in a statement, "Parks are for people and that's why we've long supported a car-free Central Park. However, in the meantime, separate spaces could help. It's a proven fact that separate spaces for pedestrians, bicyclists and drivers keep everyone out of each other's way and out of harm's way." The DOT plans to begin the redesign in October.

Read more - http://www.streetsbl...-park-roadways/

http://gothamist.com...design_will.php

No! I like having room to bike ride in central park... its good the way it is. I really hope they don't ruin it...

Regardless of all this, people will still walk, jog, bike and what not on any lane, like it is now. (Except Cars).

For the car situation, expect SOME traffic to pile up. I think its a stupid idea to force one lane in most of the park. The city sounds like they wanna get rid of Cars for good in the future... May as well just do it now, then all this.. Tho that may add more traffic outside the park, during peak periods....

I am starting to hate living in New York City, these road designs are a piece of crap, and the city thinks it could get rid of cars, but what about if the transit systems can handle these new riders and what about shipments into the city? Bloomberg knows how to run a city, but he sucks at designing the transit system, NYCDOT even suck more considering many of the Interstate roads barely meet the Interstate Standard, even heard rumors of I-278 being downgraded to NY-278 in sections in Brooklyn, and oh great, now they're decided to execute a big dig - Brooklyn Style.

If Bloomberg actually want to get rid of cars from the surface streets, he ought to explore a Mid-Manhattan Expressway (I-495) option that I promoted to be reinstated into consideration.

I am starting to hate living in New York City, these road designs are a piece of crap, and the city thinks it could get rid of cars, but what about if the transit systems can handle these new riders and what about shipments into the city? Bloomberg knows how to run a city, but he sucks at designing the transit system, NYCDOT even suck more considering many of the Interstate roads barely meet the Interstate Standard, even heard rumors of I-278 being downgraded to NY-278 in sections in Brooklyn, and oh great, now they're decided to execute a big dig - Brooklyn Style.

If Bloomberg actually want to get rid of cars from the surface streets, he ought to explore a Mid-Manhattan Expressway (I-495) option that I promoted to be reinstated into consideration.

While at it, there should be a LoMEx as well. Build it over Canal to link the Manny B to the Holland tunnel. Traffic is horrendous on Canal. You can cut the idling by having an express way that doesn't cross the regular roads and that would clear up the dwell times and excess fumes from cars that barely moved a foot.

Such a road would have a few entry/exit ramps so it won't be concentrated in the vacinity of the bridge and the tunnel.

Also at some parts of Canal, in addition to the overpass, they could add some pedestrian bridges to the side so you won't have people crossing the streets even though the light is green for cars [i swear some of those idiot pedstrians are just asking to become statistics with the way they just think the cars should stop for them when they do not have the right of way...]

While at it, there should be a LoMEx as well. Build it over Canal to link the Manny B to the Holland tunnel. Traffic is horrendous on Canal. You can cut the idling by having an express way that doesn't cross the regular roads and that would clear up the dwell times and excess fumes from cars that barely moved a foot.

Such a road would have a few entry/exit ramps so it won't be concentrated in the vacinity of the bridge and the tunnel.

Also at some parts of Canal, in addition to the overpass, they could add some pedestrian bridges to the side so you won't have people crossing the streets even though the light is green for cars [i swear some of those idiot pedstrians are just asking to become statistics with the way they just think the cars should stop for them when they do not have the right of way...]

I'll say, after very detailed analysis of the infrastructure of the Canal Street Corridor and Manny B area, that the LoMEx (I-78) project will be a very challenging and complex build due to the fact that both scenarios would be wild.

The whole Canal Street landscape will change and I'm not quite sure if that project will sit well being elevated, though perhaps the non-elevated construction might work well, they still have to work their way thru a very complex underground structure of numerous subway lines as well as utility lines.Though perhaps the climb to the Bridge will involve a steep grade and the entrance ramps to the bridge would require a complete realignment.

I'll say, after very detailed analysis of the infrastructure of the Canal Street Corridor and Manny B area, that the LoMEx (I-78) project will be a very challenging and complex build due to the fact that both scenarios would be wild.

The whole Canal Street landscape will change and I'm not quite sure if that project will sit well being elevated, though perhaps the non-elevated construction might work well, they still have to work their way thru a very complex underground structure of numerous subway lines as well as utility lines.Though perhaps the climb to the Bridge will involve a steep grade and the entrance ramps to the bridge would require a complete realignment.

An easier and much more cost effective way, which wouldn't really have much disagreement, would to be to connect the bridge with the FDR Drive. If I'm going to the Holland Tunnel, I always take the FDR down to the tip of Manhattan and get the West Side Highway up. Even with the traffic lights on the West Side Highway it's still really fast.

Yet another reason I haven't bothered with a car. This city is doing everything possible to deter people from driving... Crappy streets so you keep pouring money into your car for constant upkeep, ridiculous/confusing signs so that they can slam you with tickets and of course the never ending tolls. It's one thing to pay for driving and it's another to be have your wallet be raped over and over and I refuse to be taken to the cleaners just to say that I have a fancy car.

Yet another reason I haven't bothered with a car. This city is doing everything possible to deter people from driving... Crappy streets so you keep pouring money into your car for constant upkeep, ridiculous/confusing signs so that they can slam you with tickets and of course the never ending tolls. It's one thing to pay for driving and it's another to be have your wallet be raped over and over and I refuse to be taken to the cleaners just to say that I have a fancy car.

I definitely agree with you on how crappy the roads are, but could you explain what you mean by ridiculous/confusing signs? I've never gotten a parking ticket, speeding ticket, or any other kind of ticket ever within the five boroughs.

I definitely agree with you on how crappy the roads are, but could you explain what you mean by ridiculous/confusing signs? I've never gotten a parking ticket, speeding ticket, or any other kind of ticket ever within the five boroughs.

Well I read a story about how allegedly, the city is now purposely trying to confuse drivers by putting up signs that contradict themselves so that they can fine them as a back door way of double taxation if you will and I'm starting to believe it. The article is below:

http://www.silive.co...fines_as_a.html

I thought it was total BS too but I actually got a ticket when I was moving. During my move, I was hit with a friggin' $80.00 ticket for supposedly running a red light, which was total BS. It was at an intersection that I'm very familiar with and there was no traffic that morning, nor were we in a rush since most of my items were being shipped new, so there was no need for us to be running any red lights with just a few small items to move. What happens is they claim that sometimes they time the lights on purpose so that they turn red quicker and then they slam you with a ticket saying that you ran a red light. The moving company had my charge card and charged it naturally and I turned around and immediately called my card company and they took care of it with no problems, but I also wanted to see the proof because I thought the ticket was totally bogus. The only thing they could say was that a red light had been run at Clove Rd and Chesire Pl, but they couldn't give any more info. <_<

I'm serious... They are simply robbing people that drive and I refuse to be a victim, so unless I see a need for getting a vehicle, I don't see myself even bothering especially since I spend most of my time in the city anyway. It's more of a hassle than a pleasure when you think about it (driving in the city) and that's why every time I think about getting one I say umm.... Nope. :lol:

@VG8, Are you talking about some Manhattan streets where the sign would read: No Parking 7AM-7PM then there's a sign above it saying No Standing 7PM-7AM?

If so, my friend didn't read the top sign and result of that, a painful $550 to get the car from the impound lot, 3 in the morning.

Also on the red light camera's I'm assuming you are referring to, yeah there are several camera locations where the yellow light isn't legally set. Thus cheating the red light camera/ticket bullcrap. Though most of the drivers I know and including myself, I don't even bother running the yellow anymore if I know there's a camera there. Biggest example would be the intersection of Ocean Parkway/Prospect Parkway and Church Avenue.

For your sake VG8, since you are in the city most of the time, you're right about not pursuing a car. There's no need, especially with the ridiculous parking rates and times in Manhattan. Sadly for me, I need my car back, the commute for me on the subways are unbearable, but for now I can't do anything about it.

--

As for the Central Park plan, it's bad. I never personally driven through the park, but given anything one lane in Manhattan is horrible.

Ocean Pkwy is a total con. You have to be on guard to stop if you dunno how long ago the light turned to green. Not even the walk sign is timed to it, so that's no help either.

I've said before, if they want those red light cameras, then they should also have countdown timers [like on the newer pedestrian crossing signs] either replacing the yellow light spot or as another light to indicate how much time is left before the light turns red. Imo, all the cameras do is cause more accidents from luantics speeding like the cops are after them to beat the red or breaking hard and causing the person behind to slam into the car. If it's about safety, then put a speed bump to limit speeding and allow a few seconds for a grace period. If a person just missed stopping because he/she isn't familiar with a certain intersection, they should not be fined for it.

Basically, they shouldn't have red light cameras, now if there were cameras that takes pictures of cars that goes past a certain speed limit, then I'd be more in favor of those. Many times even on the residential streets I see cars speeding down the road well past the 30mph limit. Thank god no child has been hit by a car yet [where I am], but all it takes is one kid to run loose and 'bam' road pizza. Crack down on the speeding, not the traffic light violators.

Ocean Pkwy is a total con. You have to be on guard to stop if you dunno how long ago the light turned to green. Not even the walk sign is timed to it, so that's no help either.

Definitely! I'd say maybe only 5% of the people in Brooklyn will run that light. Everyone is too cautious at that light only, that I know of.

An easier and much more cost effective way, which wouldn't really have much disagreement, would to be to connect the bridge with the FDR Drive. If I'm going to the Holland Tunnel, I always take the FDR down to the tip of Manhattan and get the West Side Highway up. Even with the traffic lights on the West Side Highway it's still really fast.

Well, that road redesign isn't priority for NYC, FDR is a narrow highway so I would explore it after the Mid Manhattan Expressway is 90% of the way done. I am giving Interstate Highways Priority and dangerous roads around the city often built without consideration of modern day traffic. If I had the option, Queens Blvd. express lanes would be elevated from Pan Am Hotel Elmhurst to Queens Center Mall and PC Richards Rego Park until 75th Ave. to increase pedestrian safety and create a tunnel for bikers and cars to park.

I am frankly consider moving to New Jersey in the future, NYC Roads are just pure headache, and worse and worse everyday and the London-styled concept is not going to work since a lot of Americans aren't as rich as the Englishmen.

I am frankly consider moving to New Jersey in the future, NYC Roads are just pure headache, and worse and worse everyday and the London-styled concept is not going to work since a lot of Americans aren't as rich as the Englishmen.

You can't even walk in the streets anymore here because of the potholes all over the place. I was just walking to get some lunch about an hour ago and had to keep looking around for potholes. Driving in this mess is even worse.

Archived