Best and Worst Subway Cars

RollOver

Isn't everything we all post based on our opinions? A lot of this is based on personal preference. That's how R32 fans are R32 fans (and I'm one of them) even though they break down more than any other train in the system (with the possible exception of the R42).

It is a valid issue to raise though because there is no way to be completely objective about "what is your favorite car"? You can quantify other things, like "which is the most reliable car" or "which cars have the fewest bugs" but you can't quantify personal preference.

I agree with you. A lot of this forum is obviously going to be opinion. I'm just saying that it helps one's opinion to have facts backing it up. Perhaps I sounded too harsh in my response. All I meant to say was that Flushing Express' post was mostly opinion, and I would have been able to agree with him more if he explained HOW a certain train car was disgusting, whilst another one made people really happy to ride.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what Winson thinks, he's gotta come on here and explain that, Ill gladly elaborate on why I like the newer trains (142,143,160) its for these reasons

- brighter interiors

- digital signs showing the stops so i dont have to lean over and look at the map

- digital annoucnements which are easier for me to hear, (i dont hear that well in real life)

- I find the seats to be comfortable as well

the 46s like because

- the seats are comfortable

- they are relatively bright inside

the reason I don't like the older trains

- 62/68 interiors are too dark and dingy with that silvery walls

- 32s have a dingy dark interior too with that ugly yellow/dark blue combo

- 42 interiors are just as bad

- 40 slant ends have a butt ugly front design which is a safety hazard for people passing between cars

- annoucements are hard to hear

- no way of knowing what stop is next without looking over at the map

- the retired painted cars (36-10) also have the same issues the 32's do, they are outdated.

Ill ride whatever is there and I'll photograph whatever is there because I try to get all the routes, and all the car types and every combination of the two.

First off, the 160s are not divine creations.

Second, they are prone to breaking down just like any other car in the fleet.

Ignore him. If a person has to insult others by calling people 'morons' for liking some train over another in his usually long winded posts, it's not worth bothering replying back to him.

I wasn't around for it but I'm not surprised . . . I definitely understand why Threxx and some of the other senior/veteran members are so pessimistic about this thread.

This was even before Threxx joined...you know it was bad when Harry came and shut things down

Here we go

R32

R38

R40 Slants

R33/R36

R62/R62A

R68/R68A

R160

R142A

The Arnines

Dislikes

R40M/R42

R44

R46

R142

I really hate the interior lighting on both R44's and R46's and look terrible IMO. I hate the R142's because of the blinking side signs and blinking LED displays. Ugh. Not a fan of the R42s at all.

Best:

1.R32

2.R38

3.R40M

4.R26/28

5.R33ML

6.R46

7.R142A

Bad.

R160's (the inteiror is too damn bright and they are overrated)

R142's they ride good but the train itself is ugly as hell

R42's, they are having rust issues and they just look bland

Worst

R44, Biggest peice of junk (MTA) ever ordered

im surpised that no one is fighting, thats a good start

r160. i like the interior with digital and FIND

r1/9. i like the vintage look. I wish they could do these days especially those soft cushion.

r40. i like the slant edge and window. floor to ceiling

r40m i like these cars because it look muscular.

r142 strong and decent ride.

r27 love listening to the rail rumble the track

r32 was good quality and strong but lately i noticed it getting worn out. One time i felt the floor was gonna sink on me.

Worst

r46. i was riding these cars for years and it suck bad. poor speaker, terrible wall, bad lightning. cant go from one car to the next.

r68 i like it at first when it was use for brighton line. when it was new it was bright then usual. now it so dim and poor quality look. the outershell seem to loose it shiny look. i remember this when it first came out and now it gross. plus you cant walk from cars to cars

- 62/68 interiors are too dark and dingy with that silvery walls

I will agree with you on this one. I would love to see the 62/A interiors upgraded.

- 40 slant ends have a butt ugly front design which is a safety hazard for people passing between cars

I don't think they looked that bad "as built", but the modifications they made to them in the name of safety left much to be desired, so I will give you that.

Also, is/was passing between cars not prohibited in New York? If it is, I can't imagine why they'd want to waste money on the slant end "upgrades".

annoucements are hard to hear

I'm not sure if this is the cars' fault so much as it is the MTA's. Toronto received automated announcements in 2007 and all of our stock, ranging between 1974 and 2001, were equipped with them. Very easy to hear except if the passengers are making unnecessary noise.

- the retired painted cars (36-10) also have the same issues the 32's do, they are outdated.

I'm assuming you mean classes R10 through R36 (in which case the correct term is 10-36) and those cars have been out of service since 2003... the only journeys they make these days are fan trips, so whether or not they are outdated is not that big of a problem.

You just jinxed it. -_-

I'm surprised at how anti-R160 people think that they're outnumbered by the pro-R160 people. From my (limited) experience, it seems like there are more old-tech fans who wish the R160s never came. It would seem to be one of those situations where the majority gets fed up because they perceive themselves to be the minority.

Wow a lot of people seem to agree with me about the R68s.

Agreed. It just ain't the same as it used to be in the days. All the newer members are very pessimistic in my opinion.

You just jinxed it. -_-

Pessimists...

Screw it, might as well throw my 2 cents in the mix...

Best...

-R143: Leading the way with CBTC and ATO

-R68: Gotta love the French for that

-R110A/B: Even though their time was short lived, those cars led the way with many things that are used in new cars today

Worst...

-R32: The cars that just won't die. I don't see what everyone else sees in them but they sure as hell weren't the first stainless steel subway cars. They look so bland.

-The redbird class: Another set of overrated cars that really weren't that great. Those cars were the original rust buckets.

-R46: They were overpriced pieces of crap when they arrived but they came a long way since then to become one durable cars. I'm just not a fan of them.

They are morons not because they hate the R160s, but because they completely exagerrate about them (i.e. one little failure and they would say something like "scrap the R160s" or "those cars will retire in less than 10 years"), say that their favorite junkie cars can run forever, and make up stuff about them breaking down and whatnot.

This is what I will take 100%. Its not actually just the R160s, but technically all the NTTs (R142/142As, R143s, and R160s). The "junkie" cars though IMO are the ones between the R32s and R46s (R38s, R40 Slants/Modifieds, R42s and NYCS R44s). However, I don't like the old interiors of the R46s. I prefer for their interiors to look like the SIR's R44s as that's also one of biggest treatment of Scheduled Maintenance Service for the R46s regularly right now. Then that way, the R46s' interiors would be a whole lot better with the dark and spotted floors and blue bucket seats just like the SIR's R44s.

The R46s are always smoother and quiet only on the inside IMO. R143s and R160s do drag because of their weight, but are also quiet. R142s' HVAC system is very loud and quite annoying. As for the R32s, they are very loud, they also shake, and are a bit bumpy sometimes IMO.

My input on everything. There is really no right or wrong answer on this.

Best

Hi-Vs well this is something that is big because they were the first mass produced steel cars in existence and are currently the oldest subway cars in history.

R10s Due to their nostalgia and being the last subway cars that had exterior door controls just like the Arnines and just looked very different from everything else that was around. They were also the first cars with florescent lighting. These cars would also introduce dynamic breaking and SMEE breaks, which would be used on the R12-R68A cars that would come after it.

R44s were fast (don't know about everyone else), but I had a fast ride on them and despite their issues they managed to provide service to the system for almost 40 years. They were also the first 75 foot cars and the fastest subway cars in history. These would be the last subway cars built by the St. Louis Car Company.

NTTs are the most advanced subway cars to ever run since the R110s. Being able to look at where the next stop is can be a help for people new to the city (not that I needed them). The only thing negative I can say about them is that the HVAC can be loud at times.

Worst: Everything during the Graffiti era in the 70s and 80s. Poor maintenance was every where and it was dangerous riding the subway back then. Trains would break down and were also slow moving. To add insult to injury most if not all trains were covered inside and outside in graffiti.

That's all I have to say.

My input on everything. There is really no right or wrong answer on this.

Best

Hi-Vs well this is something that is big because they were the first mass produced steel cars in existence and are currently the oldest subway cars in history.

R10s Due to their nostalgia and being the last subway cars that had exterior door controls just like the Arnines and just looked very different from everything else that was around. They were also the first cars with florescent lighting. These cars would also introduce dynamic breaking and SMEE breaks, which would be used on the R12-R68A cars that would come after it.

R44s were fast (don't know about everyone else), but I had a fast ride on them and despite their issues they managed to provide service to the system for almost 40 years. They were also the first 75 foot cars and the fastest subway cars in history. These would be the last subway cars built by the St. Louis Car Company.

NTTs are the most advanced subway cars to ever run since the R110s. Being able to look at where the next stop is can be a help for people new to the city (not that I needed them). The only thing negative I can say about them is that the HVAC can be loud at times.

Worst: Everything during the Graffiti era in the 70s and 80s. Poor maintenance was every where and it was dangerous riding the subway back then. Trains would break down and were also slow moving. To add insult to injury most if not all trains were covered inside and outside in graffiti.

That's all I have to say.

The outside door controls continued with the R11s, R12s, and R14s

The outside door controls continued with the R11s, R12s, and R14s

True, but I was referring to the R10s being the last ones in service with outside door controls. I didn't mention that in my post there, so it was my mistake.

Wow I never knew they had outside door control. That is pretty sweet.

not for the conductors with the misfortune of having to operate them, breathing in brake dust constantly as you hang out there as the subway train comes to a stop, having to climb on and off that platform, which can be dangerous in bad weather, then going back in the cab between stops.

Archived