Best and Worst Subway Cars

RollOver

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Back then" there wasn't a big deal about health safety as there is now. So I don't think they cared about the health risks or were aware of the dangers as they are now.

oh it definitely shows, the LIRR had these really old MU trains around the same timeframe, the MP54 which had VERY POOR frontward visibility out of this tiny porthole window. The Hi-Vs I heard were an electrical shock hazard.

i noticed that some of you don't like the NTT train. i know some of you posted it due to loud propulsion or hvac. can anyone like these train other then these two problems? also do you think from this point on these new NTT will be liitle more quieter then usual?

The best Subway cars today IMO would be the R46 & R62... The ones I dislike the most are the R160 alstom and R68A's... those 68A's seem to be terribly slow cars.

Here's how I would put the list, best to worst:

R46 > R62 > R62A > R32 > R42 > R143 > R160 siemens > R142A >> R68 > R142 > R160 alstom > R68A

Now if it were a few years ago before there was such thing as an R160...

PATH PA-4* > R32 Phase II > R40 Slant > R40 Mod > R38 > R32 phase I > PATH PA1-3* > R42 > R143 >R46 > R62 > R62A >> R68 > R68A

*- sorry if these don't count

This is what I will take 100%. Its not actually just the R160s, but technically all the NTTs (R142/142As, R143s, and R160s). The "junkie" cars though IMO are the ones between the R32s and R46s (R38s, R40 Slants/Modifieds, R42s and NYCS R44s). However, I don't like the old interiors of the R46s. I prefer for their interiors to look like the SIR's R44s as that's also one of biggest treatment of Scheduled Maintenance Service for the R46s regularly right now. Then that way, the R46s' interiors would be a whole lot better with the dark and spotted floors and blue bucket seats just like the SIR's R44s.

The 46's were junkies that got converted to workhorses mid-life. Otherwise they would be on its way to suffering the same fate as the 44's. The 38's were decent as well. The 40 slants were hazardous for the large gaps and the 42 has bad rusting and was plagued by door issues in the past.

oh it definitely shows, the LIRR had these really old MU trains around the same timeframe, the MP54 which had VERY POOR frontward visibility out of this tiny porthole window. The Hi-Vs I heard were an electrical shock hazard.

Keep in mind Foxie these cars were built back at in a time where no one really thought these features were problems. Plus no one back then knew these cars would last 50 + years in service. No one also knew there would be a second world war that would consume so much steel or the railroads would lose a lot of money in the 1950s, causing them to keep these older cars in service. This was the case with the NYC, PRR, and South Shore to name a few.

Truck frame and carbody shell frames are apples and oranges. If the R44s were mostly stainless steel, then they might be around still.

I heard acid baths to remove graffiti in the 1980s played a role in the wearing out of the cars made of stainless steel/carbon steel (R38-44s). Not sure if this is true, but that is what I have heard many times before and this may have contributed to the deterioration of the Redbirds from the late 1990s to their last years of service.

Personally Im in Love with the R142s on the 2/5 Lines and some 4s..I dont like the A version becuase of the Propulsion is too loud and they buck a lil too much but i actually like the Bucking on the 2/5 though...I also like the lady announcer on the 4/5...they should be on the 2 as well but whatever...As Far as the IND goes...I like the R44/46 for the deep seats but they so damn slow...So for speed the R32 Gets the award...and R32 A up CPW Makes a diffrence over an R44 set! The R160s are a great bunch also...I look forward to the whole system being converted to 160s,142s, in like 20 yrs or somethin

Personally Im in Love with the R142s on the 2/5 Lines and some 4s..I dont like the A version becuase of the Propulsion is too loud and they buck a lil too much but i actually like the Bucking on the 2/5 though...I also like the lady announcer on the 4/5...they should be on the 2 as well but whatever...As Far as the IND goes...I like the R44/46 for the deep seats but they so damn slow...So for speed the R32 Gets the award...and R32 A up CPW Makes a diffrence over an R44 set! The R160s are a great bunch also...I look forward to the whole system being converted to 160s,142s, in like 20 yrs or somethin

Yup the 32's have always been quite fast.

Oh yeah, there was a thread about this in the before era. One of the biggest flame wars there was and quite hilarious

...I'll give this thread another day or two...3 the most

Thanks for your answer... I knew there was... It was full fledged, R32 haters and R32 lovers.

• 6 months later...

A division:

Best retired: redbirds

R15 (first mass produced round roof)

Worst retired: r12

Best current: r62

Worst current: r142

B division:

Best retired: r38

R1-9 (first independent)

Worst retired: r10

Best current: r32 (longevity and durability of a tortoise, first mass produced stainless steel, railfan window)

Worst current: r160/r143 (railfan's worst nightmare)

Best overall: r11/r34 (represented the future in a good way, round roof, stainless steel)

Worst overall: r110A/B (NTT new technology trains, aka new toaster trains, spawned the crummy r142, r143/r160

• 1 year later...

A division:

Best retired: redbirds

R15 (first mass produced round roof)

Worst retired: r12

Best current: r62

Worst current: r142

B division:

Best retired: r38

R1-9 (first independent)

Worst retired: r10

Best current: r32 (longevity and durability of a tortoise, first mass produced stainless steel, railfan window)

Worst current: r160/r143 (railfan's worst nightmare)

Best overall: r11/r34 (represented the future in a good way, round roof, stainless steel)

Worst overall: r110A/B (NTT new technology trains, aka new toaster trains, spawned the crummy r142, r143/r160

I changed my mind, all of a sudden I love the r10 because if its unique, short lived roof shape and being the first post war car with many advancements, I don't like the r40 slant, it's just plain ugly! Also I don't like the d type because I don't like articulated cars

Overall wise all of them are good to a degree but the best overall was D type triplex run on the BMT. It didn't have the frills of today's cars but had cushioned seats, very good heat in the winter and good ventilation in the summer with the windows opened. It also went and ran dependable for 40 years and why its in the Transit Museum and used for fan trips. The worst was the R1-9 on the IND as they always had door problems which would delay the train at the station and have the conductor checking physically the doors and rarely did you get a car where all the doors worked plus they were noisy.

Ignoring my older post from two years ago, I love the R32s, R40 (slants), R42s and Redbirds. However, I also like the R38s, R44s, R46s, R62s, R62As, R68s and R68As. I'm completely indifferent to any of the NTTs, though, but I'll take any subway car similar to what S78 via Hylan said.

R160/R143: Smooth runs, FIND displays/strip maps for easy navigation, automated and clear announcements. 9/10

R142: Same as above, 10/10

R68/A: Good runners, but not as fast as they should/could be. 8/10

R62/A: They're okay, but are in the shadow of the mighty R142s. 7.5/10

R46: They're fine. 6.5/10

R44: Junk. 3/10

R44 SIRT: Much better than the original R44s but could use a little more work. 6.5/10

R42: Bleh. They are the scrachitti cars. Loud and bulky. 4/10

R40: Cleaner than the R42. They also provided nice viewing space, and sometimes made an okay ride 6/10

R38/32: Good while they lasted, but it's their time. ?/10

Found my original post lol...

Screw it, might as well throw my 2 cents in the mix...

Best...

-R143: Leading the way with CBTC and ATO

-R68: Gotta love the French for that

-R110A/B: Even though their time was short lived, those cars led the way with many things that are used in new cars today

Worst...

-R32: The cars that just won't die. I don't see what everyone else sees in them but they sure as hell weren't the first stainless steel subway cars. They look so bland.

-The redbird class: Another set of overrated cars that really weren't that great. Those cars were the original rust buckets.

-R46: They were overpriced pieces of crap when they arrived but they came a long way since then to become one durable cars. I'm just not a fan of them.

To add on some more...

Best...

-R10: Those were some durable ass cars and you can basically call them the NTTs of their time compared to the Arnines. Wish I was around to ride them.

-R42: Nothing more than a modified slant if you look at it, but was the first cars to come delivered with air conditioning. Ice boxes in the summer.

Worst...

-R32: A car needed of a double mention. Pushing half a century and STILL won't die. Their time is outlived, the cars are outdated, and they just need to go.

-R14: Nothing more than a piggyback order of the R12, nothing really special about it

Found my original post lol...

To add on some more...

Best...

-R10: Those were some durable ass cars and you can basically call them the NTTs of their time compared to the Arnines. Wish I was around to ride them.

-R42: Nothing more than a modified slant if you look at it, but was the first cars to come delivered with air conditioning. Ice boxes in the summer.

Worst...

-R32: A car needed of a double mention. Pushing half a century and STILL won't die. Their time is outlived, the cars are outdated, and they just need to go.

-R14: Nothing more than a piggyback order of the R12, nothing really special about it

HOW DARE YOU SAY THE R32s ARE THE WORST! I Want them to keep on living!

LONG LIVE R32S!

Best:  R160s.  FIND > Strip Map

Worst:  R32s.  The fact that they need to be swapped to outdoor subway lines in the summertime already shows how outdated these train cars are...

Archived