unused platform/trackway under Nevins St

kingal11234

Rerouting the (G) or attempting the transfer at Nevins is useless. The lower level CANNOT be used and (G) passengers who need to get to Nevins will find a way without spending millions of dollars to use some bloody platform that (to repeat) CANNOT BE USED.

To further drive the point home lets look at some photos

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?481

In order to use the lower level, you 1. HAve to fix the flooding problem (with the MTAs budget, so to hell with whatever they did in the Hague) and 2. Replace that thick wall thats also holding up the SB local track.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?482

This is the rest of the platform. In order to use it you have to rebuild it to B division specs; something thats not easy.

Then you have to build another platform on the other side too. With the same problems that were mentioned before.

Long story short, aint gonna happen. Case closed, point, set, game!

Now can we please put this to rest.

Of course if this extension were made they would have to build another trackway. I'm sure that the people who built the station probably wanted it to be a two track-island platform station but never finished.

strike 1, you're 110% wrong on that one. it was always intened as a single track level.

If this is beyond the MTA's means then MTA must not be capable of building anything. If they can extend the 7 train from 42nd St to 34th st they should be able to do this.

Strike 2. I was talking to our distingushed member from the neatherlands about anti-flooding works and water-proofing projects, not about building the tunnel.

Strike 2 1/2. the MTA isn't paying for the 7 extension, the city is on point in funding that project.

No they are not. Ask any G rider if the G should have more connections, and I bet they would agree.By the way i'm sure that people who ride the train are not just tryin to go to Manhattan. Did you consider that maybe G riders want greater connections in Brooklyn I spoke to a woman in Greenpoint who told me it took over an Hour for her to get from where she lives to Flatbush and Church ave.

That is an idea that thought of too. But the 4,5 trains skip there so it would be better if the G would go tho a station in which all the Brooklyn IRT lines serve. Plus it would give the G another stop in downtown Bk rather just having one

Strike three, as I've explained, it's one or the other. the layout of the stations and the geogrpahy of the area prevent the G from going from nevins to hoyt. It would require building another new station.

That's three, YOU'RE OUT!

switching gears to general statement;

Isn't it grand how everyone comes along and tells us that they know what all the G train riders want? like they can read the minds of every person who sets foot on those trains. Someone remind me why we need to bend over backwards to give them even more connections?

they already can free transfer to the A,C,E,F,L,M,R and 7. Two 8th, two 6th, one broadway and two manhattan crosstowns.

@Nova: I didn't say there is MONEY, I just said the the TECHNOLOGY is there. I know that the MTA doesn't have the money for that. But what I was referring to was that Roadcruiser implied that there was no technology for this. That I was correcting and only that. In no way I was trying to imply that therefore they should invest $$$ into it.

Investing money into this lower level is not worth it. There are many, many more projects that should be finished first or invested in such as the overcrowding Lex Av, 2nd Ave, CoOp, etc. etc. etc.

strike 1, you're 110% wrong on that one. it was always intened as a single track level.

Strike 2. I was talking to our distingushed member from the neatherlands about anti-flooding works and water-proofing projects, not about building the tunnel.

Strike 2 1/2. the MTA isn't paying for the 7 extension, the city is on point in funding that project.

Strike three, as I've explained, it's one or the other. the layout of the stations and the geogrpahy of the area prevent the G from going from nevins to hoyt. It would require building another new station.

Isn't it grand how everyone comes along and tells us that they know what all the G train riders want? like they can read the minds of every person who sets foot on those trains. Someone remind me why we need to bend over backwards to give them even more connections?

they already can free transfer to the A,C,E,F,L,M,R and 7. Two 8th, two 6th, one broadway and two manhattan crosstowns.

Obviously you did not read what I said. I pointed out that a woman who lived in Greenpoint who told me that it took her over an hour to get to Flatbush. She herself lamented the fact that the G has too little connections. Another friend of mines had to take an expensive cab ride home because from East Flatbush to where he lived on the G train Myrtle ave stop was too long to get to otherwise. I myself ha to take a hour long ride on the B46 to get to the G. This ride would have been much shorter if I could simply take the 2 to the G.Do you think that G riders only want to go to Manhattan. Does it ever occur to you that they may want better connections throughout brooklyn.

You bet? Do you know for sure. (G) riders can get an (A) or (C) and transfer at Fulton Street where there are connections to the (2)(3)(4) and (5) lines. They can also transfer the the (L) farther up.

You bet? Do you know for sure. (G) riders can get an (A) or (C) and transfer at Fulton Street where there are connections to the (2)(3)(4) and (5) lines. They can also transfer the the (L) farther up.

Thats ok if youre going into the city, But what happen if your trying to get to other areas in BK. The g has no connections to B,Q,D,J,M,Z 2,3,4,5 trains

Thats ok if youre going into the city, But what happen if your trying to get to other areas in BK. The g has no connections to B,Q,D,J,M,Z 2,3,4,5 trains

Not every train is gonna connect with every single line...in fact, no train connects with every other line. There's always gonna be one line (or two, maybe even more) that doesn't connect with another. People found ways around it so far.

Obviously you did not read what I said. I pointed out that a woman who lived in Greenpoint who told me that it took her over an hour to get to Flatbush. She herself lamented the fact that the G has too little connections. Another friend of mines had to take an expensive cab ride home because from East Flatbush to where he lived on the G train Myrtle ave stop was too long to get to otherwise. I myself ha to take a hour long ride on the B46 to get to the G. This ride would have been much shorter if I could simply take the 2 to the G.Do you think that G riders only want to go to Manhattan. Does it ever occur to you that they may want better connections throughout brooklyn.

Obviously, you did not read what any of us said. You stand to lose connections to 4 different lines just to connect to the IRT.

If its those connections you want, you should be pushing for a free transfer between Fulton Street, Lafayette Street, and Atlantic Avenue. The riders won't lose their connection to the (A) and (C) at Hoyt–Schermerhorn that way.

Obviously you did not read what I said.

oh, i did. I wish i didn't....

I pointed out that a woman who lived in Greenpoint who told me that it took her over an hour to get to Flatbush. She herself lamented the fact that the G has too little connections. Another friend of mines had to take an expensive cab ride home because from East Flatbush to where he lived on the G train Myrtle ave stop was too long to get to otherwise. I myself ha to take a hour long ride on the B46 to get to the G. This ride would have been much shorter if I could simply take the 2 to the G.Do you think that G riders only want to go to Manhattan. Does it ever occur to you that they may want better connections throughout brooklyn.

Public transportation is not a taxi service. You're basicly calling for the reconstruction of the subway to suit your needs and damning everyone else to longer trips.

So many people say "Let's build transfers from X to Y". However the NYC Subway is not connect the dots. I hate how people complain about this and yet there are so many other subway systems out there without all these transfers. People here don't realize how lucky they are. Just shut up and stop complaining.

Yup, by taking the (A)(C) to Chambers you get the (2) and (3). There are a lot of connections crosstown.

I am a (G) rider.

A connection to the IRT would be sweet.

This is why I suggested a tunnel at Hoyt and Schermerhorn--(A)(C)(G)(2)(3). This would be nice.

Think about it this way:this would give (G) riders more options--way more options.

Let this take pressure off the (A)(C) trains too...Basically many (G) riders are hostage to the (A)....if there's any problems on the (A), they're screwed. Late nights mean long waits for the (A). Why not give them another option?

This might compel more (F) riders to take the (G) for that transfer, freeing up the (F).

You also give the IND and IRT another transfer point in BROOKLYN. This will be extremely helpful during GOs.

This would be a good compromise. A passageway to Atlantic Center would be OUTSTANDING, but not likely. Might as well get something, and this would be a simple and cheaper option.

Not every train is gonna connect with every single line...in fact, no train connects with every other line. There's always gonna be one line (or two, maybe even more) that doesn't connect with another. People found ways around it so far.

People ways around without the SAS but that does not mean it shouldn't be built.Just because people found their ways around things is no excuse for not improving transportation. If that was the case we wouldn't have built a transit system in the first place. The fact is the G train has so little connections compared to other lines . For example the 1 has 13 connections,the 2 has 20, the A 22,yet the G only has 7.

oh, i did. I wish i didn't....

Public transportation is not a taxi service. You're basicly calling for the reconstruction of the subway to suit your needs and damning everyone else to longer trips.

Public transportation should make it easier to get around you borough though.

So many people say "Let's build transfers from X to Y". However the NYC Subway is not connect the dots. I hate how people complain about this and yet there are so many other subway systems out there without all these transfers. People here don't realize how lucky they are. Just shut up and stop complaining.

This coming from a person who suggested a LIRR to SI along the North Shore Rail Line.

Yup, by taking the (A)(C) to Chambers you get the (2) and (3). There are a lot of connections crosstown.

Are you listening/ Thats fine if you're going to Manhattan but if tryna get around in Bk it is a hinderance.

I am a (G) rider.

A connection to the IRT would be sweet.

This is why I suggested a tunnel at Hoyt and Schermerhorn-- (A)(C)(G)(2)(3). This would be nice.

Think about it this way:this would give (G) riders more options--way more options.

Let this take pressure off the (A)(C) trains too...Basically many (G) riders are hostage to the (A)....if there's any problems on the (A), they're screwed. Late nights mean long waits for the (A). Why not give them another option?

This might compel more (F) riders to take the (G) for that transfer, freeing up the (F).

You also give the IND and IRT another transfer point in BROOKLYN. This will be extremely helpful during GOs.

This would be a good compromise. A passageway to Atlantic Center would be OUTSTANDING, but not likely. Might as well get something, and this would be a simple and cheaper option.

That would be a better idea i guess.

it's the option that a normal person would choose, based on logical thought. instead of the crazy option based on nonsense.

You are just nasty. I only asked at the start about the plausibility of building a connection you damn fool.

You are just nasty. I only asked at the start about the plausibility of building a connection you damn fool.

…and then you pushed it as if you had the answer already. Seems to me, you thought you knew what you were doing—but not asking questions.

I get nasty when people refuse to listen when other people tell them what's what, becuase they think they have the answer and don't want to hear it when someone tells them what they wan't can't be done.

you're not the first. This happens once every few months. Some one comes along, "why can't they do this", "Lets do that", blah blah blah, and they get just like you're getting. When we tell them what's wrong with thier idea, they refuse to listen, keep repeting thier justifcations and then get upset/angry.

Public transportation is not ment to be a door to door service, there has to be some level of compromis in it's operations, otherwise it would be impossibly complicated. hell, even after the city took over the IRT and BMT in 1940, inter-divisonal transfers were almost non-esxtant for nearly a decade, even in places where it would be obvious.

You want the IRT that badly, use the C and the Franklin Shuttle.

^^^^^

Just to interject, I personally think an IND IRT connection would benefit riders on the (A)(C)(F)(G) lines.

I don't know about Nevins St or even Atlantic Av (although I would love it), but I personally think Hoyt st would be a good start--I sometimes make that transfer using an unlimited. The stations are NOT very far away. I heard somewhere that there is an existing passageway that covers half the distance. Please confirm this.

As a side note (meaning not to dominate the thread), have you ever ridden the Franklin Av shuttle?

I take it with frequency, but it is very slow and, wait times can be a pain, for such a short route. The (C) can be a pain in the behind too.

Also, the (S) would be out of the way for people on the Culver and the (A) express.

As a 'sometimes' poster, I also wanted to add that sometimes it is very frustrating how some posters (I am not pointing anyone out) can say these things without knowing or riding the lines. On the map, something might seem like "good option" but in reality is not if you actually know the lines.

I think transfers like this will help passengers be distributed more evenly. This could mean fewer delays and more flexibility when there are GOs. Maybe if the (2) and (3) connected to the (A)(C) and (G), who knows, maybe people won't pack the (A)(C) at Nassau only to pack the (F) at Jay st....they might simply take it to Hoyt for a (G).

There already is a connection to the IRT. From the (A) to the (R) to Boro Hall. Or just walk if it's so dire. I don't see of any legit solution without turning Downtown Brooklyn into an underground city. There are too many stations in such a close proximity but none of them are logical.

I'd still wish to see a Fulton/Lafayette (C)(G) connection to Atlantic, and with the Barclay's center there, it would be all the more justified and useful. Still a long distance for a passage.

I actually would too, but I doubt it will happen. That would be a killer transfer, but anyway.

That's why I presented the connection for the A, C and G trains at Hoyt st.

That would be relatively simple and relatively cheap.

But I agree, the (G) could use a couple more connections rather than just being a glorified shuttle train for the Fulton and Canarsie lines.

Archived