Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
KeystoneRegional

Hurricanes have names -- now blizzards will, too.

USA Today /// 12:08PM EST /// October 2. 2012 - ""Brutus bashes Buffalo" -- now there's a headline just waiting to be written.

Several decades after hurricanes first got formal names, some blizzards in the USA this winter will get their own names, too.

The Weather Channel will assign the monikers, "the first time a national organization in North America will proactively name winter storms," the network reports.

Most of the names on the list have a Greek/Roman theme -- the first three are Athena, Brutus and Caesar.

"On a national scale, the most intense winter storms acquire a name through some aspect of pop culture and now social media; for example, Snowmaggeddon and Snotober," says Weather Channel winter weather expert Tom Niziol, referring to big snowstorms that blasted parts of the Eastern USA."

Source Link: http://www.usatoday....hannel/1606531/

Edited by KeystoneRegional

This past winter seemed to be blizzard-free. But I'll be sure to get my railfan on without getting stuck in a blizzard named Calypso.

Blizzard Zack ravages New York...

oh yes

It's a dumb idea, intended only to over-hype SNOW (which we do get) and drive up Weather Channel ratings.

Before this Snowmageddon/Snowpocalypse crap, there was only 1 storm outside of a tropical, that got named.

It was 19 years ago, the Superstorm of March 1993, which was appropriately named for the havoc it wreaked.

Remember when The Weather Channel did things like, uh, show and forecast the weather?

Guest Lance

Weather on The Weather Channel? Don't make me laugh. Next thing, you'll want to actually learn something from The Learning Channel and see some music outside of the early morning on MTV.

• Upvote 3

Weather on The Weather Channel? Don't make me laugh. Next thing, you'll want to actually learn something from The Learning Channel and see some music outside of the early morning on MTV.

This!!!