NYC teen licks an entire subway railing for a buck

mark1447

On a dare, a kid in New York City licked an entire handrail at the entrance of the subway for a dollar -- and presumably all the benefits of YouTube stardom. This, it goes without saying, is gross. But we wanted to know exactly how gross it is.

“If anyone dares you to lick anything in public, lick a toilet seat,” says Charles P. Gerba, a microbiologist at the University of Arizona. “It would be safer to lick a toilet than a handrail on a bus.”

Gerba has examined levels of germs in public places such as bus seats, bus handrails, indoor handrails and toilet seats. He found that about 50 different microorganisms live on a toilet seat while a handrail provides refuge for hundreds of thousands of germs.

“Americans are terrified of butt-borne diseases,” he says, explaining why toilet seats are so clean. Most people wipe off toilet seats or use seat covers, but we give little thought to the condition of railings.

“We’ve studied the microbiology on public buses,” Gerba says. “The handrail is fairly bad.”

Gerba found e-coli (a bacterium often responsible for food poisoning); MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, a staph infection that’s resistant to most first-line antibiotics); and fecal matter on handrails. Fecal matter is on 50 percent of all handrails (people, it’s time to seriously wash your hands after using the bathroom). It’s not uncommon for handrails to have flu, staph bacteria, and respiratory and cold viruses, as well. Previous research in England found that people are more likely to get a cold from handrails than any other public surfaces.

Read More:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=12

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SxqTUJhx9xQ

Ewww. Remember kids whenever you use public transportation, always carry hand sanitizer.

I carry hand sanitizer with me every time I go to the city because I used to come home with pink eye or get sick with some sort of ailment every time I would come home.

I carry hand sanitizer with me every time I go to the city because I used to come home with pink eye or get sick with some sort of ailment every time I would come home.

LOL... From what? Our lovely subways? I always thoroughly wash my hands immediately after using the subway once I get into the office or wherever there is a clean bathroom to use. I can't imagine what this kid was thinking but God was he dumb for doing that.

Where is that Simpsons episode where the Simpsons go to New York City and Bart attempts the same thing?

I think it was a season 8 episode. Maybe the season premier. I haven't seen that in a while. I wonder if they still kept the twin towers segment where Homer needs to rush to the bathroom in the tower only to see another ticket being written up for his car?

I think it was a season 8 episode. Maybe the season premier. I haven't seen that in a while. I wonder if they still kept the twin towers segment where Homer needs to rush to the bathroom in the tower only to see another ticket being written up for his car?

I found it: http://wtso.net/movie/3-The_Simpsons_901_The_City_of_New_York_vs_Homer_Simpson.html. Skip to 10:55.

(Bart shakes a can full of coins. The can is labeled "GIVE.")

"Ladies and gentlemen: I'm sorry to disturb your pleasant ride, but unlike yourselves I was born without taste buds. Let me demonstrate."

(Bart licks the pole.)

"Egh! I went in over my head here. Thank you for your time."

Archived