Newsday:Suffolk Transit mulls changes to its system

PinePower

If NICE Bus and the future Suffolk Transit do end up combining, I can see a lot of good things happening. Both counties can consolidate their efforts to create a great bus system that satisfies all Long Island bus riders.

If NICE Bus and the future Suffolk Transit do end up combining, I can see a lot of good things happening. Both counties can consolidate their efforts to create a great bus system that satisfies all Long Island bus riders.

Agreed, Suffolk routes can run express in Nassau etc.

Well, I'm just waiting for the arrival of MetroCard in Suffolk County, I still think it would be beneficial in certain senses considering that Suffolk has so many routes and span such a large area, perhaps one system is better to manage than many different satellites. However, I am hoping that there wouldn't be any drastic cuts like what happened to Nassau County.

Well, I'm just waiting for the arrival of MetroCard in Suffolk County, I still think it would be beneficial in certain senses considering that Suffolk has so many routes and span such a large area, perhaps one system is better to manage than many different satellites. However, I am hoping that there wouldn't be any drastic cuts like what happened to Nassau County.

Well it would be NICE to have Metrocard use in Suffolk. :lol:

It would probably speed up boardings, the GFI boxes and dollar bills are slow. Some drivers get frustrated and have the pax hand over the bills and they insert them to get moving faster.

Well it would be NICE to have Metrocard use in Suffolk. :lol:

It would probably speed up boardings, the GFI boxes and dollar bills are slow. Some drivers get frustrated and have the pax hand over the bills and they insert them to get moving faster.

Sure it'll be very NICE to have MetroCard in Suffolk!

And indeed I seen quite few of those frustrated moves by B/O's, it's nuts having to deal with bills and coins when a simple card can do all this.

Everyone is aware though that Suffolk has just signed new five year contracts, or I was told they were five years, with their current operators. So barring any type of opt out clause, nothing will happen for at least five years.

More then likely the company will probably already be in suffolk, or show proof that they can build a site in Suffolk by the time the contract will go into effect (Which knowing Suffolk wouldn't be until the New Year holiday). Veolia and MV Transportation don't currently have any sites in Suffolk County.

I doubt the name of the system will change, since it would be the same system just with one operator. Unlike NICE, who was named by the former operator who also I assume held the rights to the name. (Seeing as MTA was used in the name)

And I doubt Suffolk will ever go for the metrocard, I mean if Suffolk didn't want to pay taxes to the MTA, then why would they want to use the same fare system.

If you ask me the contract will probably go to either SBC or EBT, I mean they have delt with the county for years, and probably know how to under cut any other bid. (I mean hello EBT did out bid Inter-County Motor Coach)

Everyone is aware though that Suffolk has just signed new five year contracts, or I was told they were five years, with their current operators. So barring any type of opt out clause, nothing will happen for at least five years.

More then likely the company will probably already be in suffolk, or show proof that they can build a site in Suffolk by the time the contract will go into effect (Which knowing Suffolk wouldn't be until the New Year holiday). Veolia and MV Transportation don't currently have any sites in Suffolk County.

I doubt the name of the system will change, since it would be the same system just with one operator. Unlike NICE, who was named by the former operator who also I assume held the rights to the name. (Seeing as MTA was used in the name)

And I doubt Suffolk will ever go for the metrocard, I mean if Suffolk didn't want to pay taxes to the MTA, then why would they want to use the same fare system.

If you ask me the contract will probably go to either SBC or EBT, I mean they have delt with the county for years, and probably know how to under cut any other bid. (I mean hello EBT did out bid Inter-County Motor Coach)

You have a point.

However I doubt either SBC or EBT would want to give up their routes

Archived