Bx41 +SelectBusService

Mysterious2train

Gotcha. While we're on the topic, I wonder how many former weekend or evening riders on the Bx55 started using the 41 instead of the 15 to go between Fordham Plaza and the Hub after June 2010. Since the Bx41 lost a lot of ridership due to its own cut it's impossible to tell.

Also, where do you think the 55 bus stops above Fordham Road would be located? With the 41 local? It seems people asked at the latest CAC meeting where the 55 stops would be located as well. Better yet, will bus tickets be allowed on the 55? Assuming the 41 SBS isn't re-routed to Norwood, of course. I mean, between Fordham Plaza and WPR the 41 and 55 are exactly the same so it'd be kinda weird to use the fare machines for only one of them.

If the 41 re-route does happen, sucks for Williamsbridge [and WPR by extension] that when the 55 isn't running they'll be stuck with the 41 local only, which will probably run less often, but since there hasn't been any off-peak Limited service up there since 2004 they're not really losing too much.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, where do you think the 55 bus stops above Fordham Road would be located? With the 41 local? It seems people asked at the latest CAC meeting where the 55 stops would be located as well. Better yet, will bus tickets be allowed on the 55? Assuming the 41 SBS isn't re-routed to Norwood, of course. I mean, between Fordham Plaza and WPR the 41 and 55 are exactly the same so it'd be kinda weird to use the fare machines for only one of them.

If the 41 re-route does happen, sucks for Williamsbridge [and WPR by extension] that when the 55 isn't running they'll be stuck with the 41 local only, which will probably run less often, but since there hasn't been any off-peak Limited service up there since 2004 they're not really losing too much.

The problem with the fare machines is that it would be too confusing to say "North of Fordham Road, you buy a ticket, but south of there, you dip a MetroCard". And then what do you do for people who board along 3rd Avenue, but are traveling north of Fordham? Unless you could somehow print out a receipt every time they dip in a MetroCard. But then you might as well install SBS machines on both 3rd & Webster Avenue.

Of course, the simplest thing is to cut the Bx55 back to Fordham Road, which I think they might end up doing eventually.

As for off-peak limited service to Williamsbridge, doesn't the Bx55 run up there during middays as well?

I don't think there would be a ton of demand for service to Norwood. If somebody lives over by Webster and wants the (D), they would probably take a crosstown bus instead of a bus up Webster.

You have a point. The 55 does run on Middays up to Williamsbridge and "Off-Peak service" is kind of confusing on that point but it is shorter than writing "Weekend and [Weekday] Evening Service."

And since the tentative 41 re-route is Norwood is planned in conjunction with service to LaGuardia, I guess the MTA figures people from the West would utilize the route.

Although since I believe the document detailing LGA travelers/employee's origins showed a lot of trips coming from the West Bronx, better put SBS on the Bx1 and sent that to LGA instead.

• 1 month later...

I was just thinking: Instead of removing +SBS+ service from Williamsbridge, couldn't the Bx41 serve both Montefiore and Williamsbridge? It could go up East 204th Street/Bainbridge Avenue, and then go across Gun Hill Road to Williamsbridge. It inreases the catchment area anyway, since Webster Avenue is alongside the park. (The local can still remain along Webster if they want).

• 5 weeks later...

I came from the Bx41 SBS open house. For those who couldn't make it, here are the proposed changes for the Bx15, Bx41 and Bx55.

Bx15/55

-Bx55 renamed Bx15 Limited.

-Bx15 Limited runs to West Harlem, making local stops south of the Hub, while the local only runs to the Hub

-No 3rd Avenue service north of Fordham Road

Bx41

-The LGA SBS is still in the drawing board

-The Bx41 Local would run 24/7 while the SBS would run at approximately between 5am-10pm every day.

Was gonna go, but couldn't. But looks like they took SOME of the suggestions from the first Open House..

The Bx55 to likely become the Bx15 Limited.... Hmm... Sucks thats may happen, they should just leave it as is. But likely the change is wanted since they may not want the Bx15 to be replaced by the Bx55 in Manhattan, while the Bx15 runs Local in the Bronx. The Williamsbridge portion, no comment at the moment.

Question: When is the Bx15 LTD / Bx55 LTD elimination going to occur? And I'm sure the Local only Bx15 will head into Manhattan during the time LTD isn't running?

The Bx15/55 restructuring would probably occur whenever the Bx41+ starts up, since the two are directly connected. And yes, the Bx15 local will run to Manhattan when the LTD isn't running, we can assure that much. It should be no different from all the other routes where the local is cut short while the LTD is running, like the B44, B46, or the Bx12 and Bx12+. 

I don't think it's such a bad idea to have LTD service continuing onward [even if the Bx55 isn't the best LTD] but it's going to be unchanged below the Hub, including that Godawful slow southbound routing, so I guess it's not that much of a change on that side of things.  

I'm very curious if this change COULD possibly hint a Bx15 +Select Bus Service with the change. The M16 became the M34A... Now you got the Bx55 becoming the Bx15 Limited, similar in ways, even though there was no M16/34 LTD. Of course just a guess.. Unknown.

The Bx55 to likely become the Bx15 Limited.... Hmm... Sucks thats may happen, they should just leave it as is. But likely the change is wanted since they may not want the Bx15 to be replaced by the Bx55 in Manhattan, while the Bx15 runs Local in the Bronx. The Williamsbridge portion, no comment at the moment.

====================================================

Well, on the bright side, it might end up not being up for elimination after all. If the Bx55 paralleled the Bx41 all the way from Williamsbridge (or Fordham) all the way to 149th Street, that could result in lower ridership. At least with this change, limited riders going to Harlem have a direct one-seat ride, so unless you're all the way up on the northern portion of the route, it wouldn't be worth transferring from the Bx55 to the Bx41.

I'm very curious if this change COULD possibly hint a Bx15 +Select Bus Service with the change. The M16 became the M34A... Now you got the Bx55 becoming the Bx15 Limited, similar in ways, even though there was no M16/34 LTD. Of course just a guess.. Unknown.

=====================================================

That would make sense. If they're changing up the M60, they might do the Bx15 (and maybe even the M101) in the process, since they're all along 125th. It seems contrary to what you (or at least I) would've expected them to do, which is eliminate limited service on 3rd Avenue, since it would lose ridership to the Bx41 on Webster.

I came from the Bx41 SBS open house. For those who couldn't make it, here are the proposed changes for the Bx15, Bx41 and Bx55.

Bx15/55

-Bx15 Limited runs to West Harlem, making local stops south of the Hub, while the local only runs to the Hub

Bx41

-The Bx41 Local would run 24/7 while the SBS would run at approximately between 5am-10pm every day.

So did I, but the service changes for the Bx15/Bx55 are completely appalling. Turning all of the Bx55LTD trips into the new Bx15LTD would be a disappointing outrage to all of the 3rd Avenue bus riders in The Bronx and to all of the 125th Street bus riders in Manhattan. The Bx41 service change seemed ok to me, but the stops might need to have some bus stop changes for both the local and +selectbusservice routes. Here are some of my ideas for these service changes:

Bx15LCL/Bx55LTD:

- Full time Bx15 service to/from Manhattan is discontinued, buses will operate between Fordham Plaza and Mott Haven in The Bronx, at all times except late nights, local buses continue down to Manhattanville.

- Late evening, and all weekend service reinstated on the Bx55, Limited-Stop Buses will operate between either Williamsbridge or Fordham Plaza, The Bronx and Manhattanville, Manhattan, all times except late nights. Late Nights, Bx15 replaces the Bx55 in Manhattan.

Bx41LCL/Bx41+SBS:

- Extend the Bx41SBS+ to Wakefield-241st St all day.

- Extend the Bx41LCL to Wakefield-241st St late nights only.

- Implement a few bus stop changes along the Webster Av corridor.

- Create a new +selectbusservice route (Bx50) to operate between Williamsbridge (via Webster Av), The Bronx and LaGuardia Airport, Queens, at all times except late nights.

That's my proposal for the MTA and I hope that they approve it.

Bx15/55

Bx41

So did I, but the service changes for the Bx15/Bx55 are completely appalling. Turning all of the Bx55LTD trips into the new Bx15LTD would be a disappointing outrage to all of the 3rd Avenue bus riders in The Bronx and to all of the 125th Street bus riders in Manhattan. The Bx41 service change seemed ok to me, but the stops might need to have some bus stop changes for both the local and +selectbusservice routes. Here are some of my ideas for these service changes:

Bx15LCL/Bx55LTD:

- Full time Bx15 service to/from Manhattan is discontinued, buses will operate between Fordham Plaza and Mott Haven in The Bronx, at all times except late nights, local buses continue down to Manhattanville.

- Late evening, and all weekend service reinstated on the Bx55, Limited-Stop Buses will operate between either Williamsbridge or Fordham Plaza, The Bronx and Manhattanville, Manhattan, all times except late nights. Late Nights, Bx15 replaces the Bx55 in Manhattan.

Bx41LCL/Bx41+SBS:

- Create a new +selectbusservice route (Bx50) to operate between Williamsbridge (via Webster Av), The Bronx and LaGuardia Airport, Queens, at all times except late nights.

Bx15LCL/Bx55LTD:

Bx41LCL/Bx41+SBS:

Bx15LCL/Bx55LTD:

Bx41LCL/Bx41+SBS:

I don't think the Bx41 will ever go to Wakefield, especially since the Bx39 has gained in ridership. As for the Bx15 Limited, I would only restore weekend (or at least Saturday) limited service to 3rd Avenue.

One of the powerpoints on the DOT's site also talks about potentially re-routing the Bx34 to Webster Av below Bedford Park Blvd or 204th St and ending it at Fordham Plaza [the stated reason being to speed it up] but based on what the others said the open house didn't mention it, so maybe the idea was scrapped?

One of the powerpoints on the DOT's site also talks about potentially re-routing the Bx34 to Webster Av below Bedford Park Blvd or 204th St and ending it at Fordham Plaza [the stated reason being to speed it up] but based on what the others said the open house didn't mention it, so maybe the idea was scrapped?

I'm not sure if the idea was scrapped or not, but it would be a bad idea since Bainbridge/Valentine is more residential and uphill from Webster Avenue.

• 3 months later...

I know for a fact that the Bx55 is an historic Bronx part of the original 3rd Avenue EL Line, but having the bus line being discontinued or run the same bi-directional Weekday Rush Hour service like all the other Limited-Stop Bus routes, especially the M98 would be injustice. The M98 started in 1990 operating weekday rush hours instead of all weekday long. Basically, it needs to have a service upgrade sometime later this year, the same should go for the other Limited-Stop Bus Routes within the 5 boroughs of New York City.

• 1 month later...
Guest MTA Bus

Just as a reminder, both the BX15 Local and Limited will be based out of West Farms. Also, the Bx41 SBS might use XD60s, but it hasn't be written in stone yet.

Just as a reminder, both the BX15 Local and Limited will be based out of West Farms. Also, the Bx41 SBS might use XD60s, but it hasn't be written in stone yet.

Not like anything was going to change in the first place.

Archived