Bx41 +SelectBusService

Mysterious2train

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually! The Bx15 local will be based out of KB there are 19 runs all senior man S/S RDO's.  SBS on the 41 will debut with 29 runs.

Wow, I wonder when they decided to do that. Very interesting.

Wow, I wonder when they decided to do that. Very interesting.

As far as I know this has always been the plan that way we don't lose any work.

will the 41 +SBS+ be based out of kb still and the bx15 ltd will be based at wf right?

That is correct.

with that how meny runs have been added i total with this change?

well along Webster Avenue between the SBS and LCL there will be 56 runs up from the 42 runs when it was just the local/limited.

Thankfully, they left 180 St as a SBS stop. Too bad for 3 Av, however; bus service has been unreliable for years now.

Even worse now, I think the 15 LTD should have been between Fordham Plaza and 149th street as going along 125th street they will bunch up like crazy especially during the rush hour.  However, on paper from a business point of view it'll be "excellent" as they can now squeeze more trips out of each run as the limited service would make it "faster" (when I was at west farms the Bx15 paddle [not-interlined with the Bx17] consisted of 3 round trips, I haven't seen the new prints for the LTD but I would assume that they would have them do at least 4 now which cuts down on the number of runs needed to go out in return shaving off a piece of the operational cost).

Now I know many of you are going to say that the 55 was unreliable.  It was unreliable due to the schedule it was prescribed to run on.  There were only 24 runs and they had you do about 5.5 round trips [some trips were only alloted 24-28 minutes I can't quite remember as I don't have a paddle report in front of me], considering dwell time at each major time point one would have to drive 35-40 mph to maintain the schedule which is UNSAFE considering the fact that 9 out of 10 times your carrying standees to the white line or even worse the windshield (which I do not condone).  I am a firm believer that off-board payment should be implemented at the hub and the following stop (Westchester Avenue) to reduce dwell time on all lines that serve the area (Bx15/LTD, 41/SBS, 21).  The new 15 LCL isn't going to be any better all they did was swap out the number 55 and replaced it with a 15 on the prints, 5.5-6 round trips with no adjustment to time and now you have to make local stops.  Let's see how it plays out.

Even worse now, I think the 15 LTD should have been between Fordham Plaza and 149th street as going along 125th street they will bunch up like crazy especially during the rush hour.  However, on paper from a business point of view it'll be "excellent" as they can now squeeze more trips out of each run as the limited service would make it "faster" (when I was at west farms the Bx15 paddle [not-interlined with the Bx17] consisted of 3 round trips, I haven't seen the new prints for the LTD but I would assume that they would have them do at least 4 now which cuts down on the number of runs needed to go out in return shaving off a piece of the operational cost).

Now I know many of you are going to say that the 55 was unreliable.  It was unreliable due to the schedule it was prescribed to run on.  There were only 24 runs and they had you do about 5.5 round trips [some trips were only alloted 24-28 minutes I can't quite remember as I don't have a paddle report in front of me], considering dwell time at each major time point one would have to drive 35-40 mph to maintain the schedule which is UNSAFE considering the fact that 9 out of 10 times your carrying standees to the white line or even worse the windshield (which I do not condone).  I am a firm believer that off-board payment should be implemented at the hub and the following stop (Westchester Avenue) to reduce dwell time on all lines that serve the area (Bx15/LTD, 41/SBS, 21).  The new 15 LCL isn't going to be any better all they did was swap out the number 55 and replaced it with a 15 on the prints, 5.5-6 round trips with no adjustment to time and now you have to make local stops.  Let's see how it plays out.

About the re-using of schedules, that's just lazy and careless. I guess it would explain the Bx15 local being based out of Kingsbridge. Now since during the day there are several periods where the 55 is more frequent than the 15, you'll have the Limited running less frequently than the local on 3 Av. I guess that could be a good thing depending on how you look at it. I am a little happy the Bx15 LTD is losing that Limited stop at 174 St, now if only the MTA would get rid of that Limited stop at 166 St...

Since the Bx41 SBS schedule will probably be re-evaluated after a little while do you think the Bx15 schedule could be revised to better reflect road conditions as well?

I know you're of the opinion that Limited/SBS services should stay away from 125 St because of the traffic problems, and while that definitely is a problem, I find it more odd that such a busy corridor with people taking long-distance trips essentially has all local service (although the M60 as is a semi-Limited). I also take issue with the way the Southbound Bx15 goes out of its way between the Hub and Manhattan. I don't want to get rid of it and it does cover more people that way but I do think more people would ride if it was more direct (namely shooting straight down 3 Av to the Bridge to Lexington Av) but enough conjecture. (I've already blabbed about putting SBS on the 15 enough anyway).

I noticed today that the stop at the corner of Bedford Park Blvd & Webster Ave now has SBS receipt machines, which were off.

The way the stops above Fordham Rd already have the new bus stop signage; it's weird seeing the Bx55 being erased.

I was going to post the schedule but was beaten to it. I'll just give the headways since the schedule probably won't matter at all (it's the Bx41 for crying out loud).

AM Rush- 10 mins for the early shoulder trips 7-8 mins during the peak

Midday- 10 minutes

PM Rush- 7-8 minutes 

Early Evening (which happens to start at 6:30 now)- 10 minutes

Weekends- 12 minutes

I was going to post the schedule but was beaten to it. I'll just give the headways since the schedule probably won't matter at all (it's the Bx41 for crying out loud).

AM Rush- 10 mins for the early shoulder trips 7-8 mins during the peak

Midday- 10 minutes

PM Rush- 7-8 minutes 

Early Evening (which happens to start at 6:30 now)- 10 minutes

Weekends- 12 minutes

you are talking of the local correct

you are talking of the local correct

Nope, that's the SBS schedule.

This is the first one I've seen where there was any time headways were above 10 minutes, but I guess that'll become more common as SBS rolls out. And, if the MTA's gambit to push people onto the Bx41 works, we'll see the frequencies adjusted soon enough.

Yeah, Jubaion's talking about the Select Bus. (See here). I believe the local is supposed to have 10-minute headways pretty much all day. 

Webster Av was underserved, but I'm still finding it a little hard to believe that the wrong thoroughfare apparently had the greater amount of service all this time. I guess that's changing trends for ya.

Also the timetable has a small typo on it (See the timepoint for the Hub) 

I do love this tidbit from the MTA's page:

• New off-street stop at Gun Hill Intermodal Terminal allows for an easier connection from the subway.

Wow, that's gold. 

So right now at the Hub the Northbound Bx55 picks up at a stop on the near side of 149 St. The Bx15 and Bx41 both share a stop a few yards behind the 55 stop near 148 St. If I had to guess the 41 will pick-up at the current 55 stop and the Bx15 and Bx41 stop will be just for the Bx15.

And now that I think about it the MTA did say in their committee report that 3 Av would keep the same level of service. If this is true, it would explain how the Bx15 and Bx55 schedules are basically being switched around for the 15 LTD and 15 local (respectively) like what youngblaze talked about earlier. 

Yeah, Jubaion's talking about the Select Bus. (See here). I believe the local is supposed to have 10-minute headways pretty much all day. 

Webster Av was underserved, but I'm still finding it a little hard to believe that the wrong thoroughfare apparently had the greater amount of service all this time. I guess that's changing trends for ya.

Also the timetable has a small typo on it (See the timepoint for the Hub) 

I do love this tidbit from the MTA's page:

• New off-street stop at Gun Hill Intermodal Terminal allows for an easier connection from the subway.

Wow, that's gold. 

So where is this gonna stop, on the EL tracks?

There's an island in the middle of the street where the entrance to the train station is. An area next to the entrance was recently set aside for the Bx41's last stop from the Hub as well as for the Bx39 to Wakefield (comparatively, the Bx55 stops across the street and the BxM11 remains at the sidewalk)

Here's a google picture: http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x377/Austin21926/gunhullrdintermodalterminal_zps42af425c.png

My comment was more geared at how the MTA is making things so convenient for Bx41 riders heading North - a nice place to wait for the Bx39 or alternatively a stop close to the (2) entrance - whereas the 41 should really just be restored to Wakefield. 

There's an island in the middle of the street where the entrance to the train station is. An area next to the entrance was recently set aside for the Bx41's last stop from the Hub as well as for the Bx39 to Wakefield (comparatively, the Bx55 stops across the street and the BxM11 remains at the sidewalk)

Here's a google picture: http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x377/Austin21926/gunhullrdintermodalterminal_zps42af425c.png

My comment was more geared at how the MTA is making things so convenient for Bx41 riders heading North - a nice place to wait for the Bx39 or alternatively a stop close to the (2) entrance - whereas the 41 should really just be restored to Wakefield.

why would a SBS line that is long as hell continue northward underneath a subway line making it even longer bx41 doesn't need to return anywhere.

How is the Bx41 long? The full local route would be max 80 minutes (assuming the worst in traffic conditions). The SBS would take less time. You could argue that's a little up there in runtime, but the Bx39 as is around 75 mins from end to end per timetable (although I haven't ridden that route much, so I don't know to what degree traffic influences the runtime) so it's only a little less than the Bx41 would be. The Bx41 ran up to Wakefield just fine pre-2010. And since you're slamming the Bx41 for paralleling the subway, I'm surprised you haven't jumped on the Bx39 as it parallels the subway for a longer distance than the 41. And the 39/41 have a very healthy ridership from Webster going to White Plains Rd. Not very surprising, seeing as the 41 is the link between those areas.

How is the Bx41 long? The full local route would be max 80 minutes (assuming the worst in traffic conditions). The SBS would take less time. You could argue that's a little up there in runtime, but the Bx39 as is around 75 mins from end to end per timetable (although I haven't ridden that route much, so I don't know to what degree traffic influences the runtime) so it's only a little less than the Bx41 would be. The Bx41 ran up to Wakefield just fine pre-2010. And since you're slamming the Bx41 for paralleling the subway, I'm surprised you haven't jumped on the Bx39 as it parallels the subway for a longer distance than the 41. And the 39/41 have a very healthy ridership from Webster going to White Plains Rd. Not very surprising, seeing as the 41 is the link between those areas.

Simple the (2) sucks ASS and many people use bx39 to classons point and parkchester a big chunk does not duplicate the subway and a reroute would duplicate other lines. The Bx41 doesn't directly duplicate any subway line anymore but the Bx39 is just fine as it is now. Haven't you noticed how not a single SBS route duplicates the subway?

Simple the  (2) sucks ASS and many people use bx39 to classons point and parkchester a big chunk does not duplicate the subway and a reroute would duplicate other lines. The Bx41 doesn't directly duplicate any subway line anymore but the Bx39 is just fine as it is now. Haven't you noticed how not a single SBS route duplicates the subway?

That's not saying much considering there's only a handful of SBS lines in the whole city.

Nope, that's the SBS schedule.

This is the first one I've seen where there was any time headways were above 10 minutes, but I guess that'll become more common as SBS rolls out. And, if the MTA's gambit to push people onto the Bx41 works, we'll see the frequencies adjusted soon enough.

If you count the S79 as SBS, then that also has a lot of periods where headways are over 10 minutes. Plus, I think for the last hour or two of operation, the Bx12 & M15 run every 15 minutes. (I forget offhand)

Archived