Bx41 +SelectBusService

Mysterious2train

The only Bx41 extension that has a shot of happening is southwards to LGA (I can see it happening at around the same time the M60SBS starts) but the plan for those buses involve using the Fordham Plaza area as the north terminal.

Heck, they are probably better off pairing the two projects together, all you need on top of all the fare machines for the M60 is just one set of machines at 138th Street in the Bronx.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple the (2) sucks ASS and many people use bx39 to classons point and parkchester a big chunk does not duplicate the subway and a reroute would duplicate other lines. The Bx41 doesn't directly duplicate any subway line anymore but the Bx39 is just fine as it is now. Haven't you noticed how not a single SBS route duplicates the subway?

The B44 parallels the (2) and (5) on Nostrand. The M15 SBS will parallel the SAS once it opens in 2016.

"Following a subway line" is a bad reason to cut a route short, especially since the Bx41SBS is the spiritual successor of the Third Av El.

The B44 parallels the (2) and (5) on Nostrand. The M15 SBS will parallel the SAS once it opens in 2016.

"Following a subway line" is a bad reason to cut a route short, especially since the Bx41SBS is the spiritual successor of the Third Av El.

Actually, using that logic, since the Third Avenue El terminated at Gun Hill Road, it's "spiritual successor" should as well.

B44 only duplicates for a short segment of it's route. Bx39 and Bx41 aren't broken now so no fix needed. No real difference there is still bus service. Bx41 once some go to LGA there would be zero incentive to run to wakefield. As wakefield folks for LGA would use either (2) to (5)(4) or MNRR to M60 yes some people are that impatient part of the reason MTA increased MNRR service in the north Bronx stations on the harlem line.

Checkmate13 already crushed your argument using your own logic.

I'm sorry but the Bx41/39 swap didn't save them money and didn't solve the problem the MTA set out to solve. The idea was by shortening the Bx41 it would become more reliable. That has not happened and the Bx39 has performed worse post-swap. The MTA should bring back the pre-2010 pattern out of shame for how things went. Now let's get back to discussing +SBS

why would a SBS line that is long as hell continue northward underneath a subway line making it even longer bx41 doesn't need to return anywhere.

Don't agree.... You cannot argue that riders from the north (of gun hill) wanted Parkchester more than they do the shopping area along Fordham rd.... There's more xferring b/w buses over there around Gun Hill rd. (2) now than there was before the Bx39/Bx41 NB terminal swap......

Simple the (2) sucks ASS and many people use bx39 to classons point and parkchester a big chunk does not duplicate the subway and a reroute would duplicate other lines. The Bx41 doesn't directly duplicate any subway line anymore but the Bx39 is just fine as it is now. Haven't you noticed how not a single SBS route duplicates the subway?

The (2) "sucking ass" has squat to do with reverting the Bx41 to Wakefield.....

The (2) doesn't "suck" anymore ass than the Bx39 under (more of) WPR (than the old Bx41 used to serve).....

I'll still say this much though..... I still believe the MTA swapped the Bx39/41 NB terminals to set up future +SBS+ for the 41......

Now I don't think the +SBS+ 41's should run to Wakefield, but I think the 41 should return to Wakefield - Which is all for naught now because they introducing +SBS+ on the 41.....

Where is that same "long as hell" argument for the B44 +SBS+ though......

Actually, using that logic, since the Third Avenue El terminated at Gun Hill Road, it's "spiritual successor" should as well.

3 Av service used to terminate at 241 St, it was later cut back to Gun Hill Road

B44 only duplicates for a short segment of it's route. Bx39 and Bx41 aren't broken now so no fix needed. No real difference there is still bus service. Bx41 once some go to LGA there would be zero incentive to run to wakefield. As wakefield folks for LGA would use either (2) to (5)(4) or MNRR to M60 yes some people are that impatient part of the reason MTA increased MNRR service in the north Bronx stations on the harlem line.

Checkmate13 already crushed your argument using your own logic.

Bx41 isn't going to LGA, the SBS is going to be a new route ending at Fordham Plaza.

I'm sorry but the Bx41/39 swap didn't save them money and didn't solve the problem the MTA set out to solve. The idea was by shortening the Bx41 it would become more reliable. That has not happened and the Bx39 has performed worse post-swap. The MTA should bring back the pre-2010 pattern out of shame for how things went. Now let's get back to discussing +SBS

Bx39 service is a bit better since the swap. The overnight shuttle did get MTA hours of operation on the whole line (especially on Sundays), though S/B service on the full route does end 9 minutes earlier than before on Sunday nights.

Do you have any numbers to prove this? The idea behind the swap was to send the 39 up to 241st being that it has a greater headway than the Bx41.  The swap also allowed the Bx41 to "short turn" on White Plains road thus squeezing more trips out of the runs, resulting in a reduced number of runs resulting in saved money.

@Jubaion: What indication was there that the Bx39/Bx41 was done with the goal of increasing reliability on the Bx41? As far as I know, it was done to save money.

As the analysis from the service reductions overview says, while the change in cost per rider was mixed, the MTA successfully got people to switch to the subway - which is good for efficiency since the subway is much more so than either bus line.

Anyway, I didn't see it before, but it seems the MTA already long planned out the new configuration of bus stops at the Hub (along with Tremont Av and Gun Hill Rd) (in this month's open house presentation, near the end.) For comparison's sake, here's the current setups at The Hub and Gun Hill Road. Not really fond of the Bx15 having to share a stop with the Bx21 across the street from the train so that the Bx41 can have a block to itself, but I guess it's not really any more inconvenient than what Bx21 riders have now.

I'm sorry but the Bx41/39 swap didn't save them money and didn't solve the problem the MTA set out to solve. The idea was by shortening the Bx41 it would become more reliable......

That's just not true.... Reliability had nothing to do with it....

cKEvnpJ.gif

Better matching capacity & demand, in laymen's, is another way of saying they want more riders per bus...

It's from an overall efficiency point of view (better use of resources), not one of timeliness....

They saved money, due to the fact that the old 41 b/w The Hub & Wakefield had more daily trips than the old 39 b/w Clason Pt & Williamsbridge... In other words, there are less 39's now traveling the mileage it takes b/w Clason pt. & Wakefield than there were 41's that traveled the mileage it took b/w the Hub & Wakefield....

For anyone's reference, more Bx39/Bx41 info from the PDF:

RiEcDvr.gif

Who would want to ride an SBS route on the day it starts? A lot of people will be confused and have no idea what to do, and everything will be slow. Although now that I think about it I did ride the M15 when it first started. I'm more interested in seeing how the Bx15 will perform now.

Way late to the party bro.

I just busfan the Bx41LTD yesterday; if any of you want a chance to busfan the Bx41 and Bx55 Limiteds by taking pictures or by filming the whole bus ride down and back up, it's not too late. You still have today and tomorrow to make the best and very last of it. When I was busfanning, I saw some bus stops along the route saying that the southbound Bx41 Local and Limited Buses were going down to Mott Haven, which I know, doesn't go there anymore.

I just busfan the Bx41LTD yesterday; if any of you want a chance to busfan the Bx41 and Bx55 Limiteds by taking pictures or by filming the whole bus ride down and back up, it's not too late. You still have today and tomorrow to make the best and very last of it. When I was busfanning, I saw some bus stops along the route saying that the southbound Bx41 Local and Limited Buses were going down to Mott Haven, which I know, doesn't go there anymore.

Thanks for the heads up..... Since I'm off til monday, I'll just ride out the full 55 from the hub & make sure to catch a gun hill rd bus sometime tomorrow morning....

Enough ppl. on these forums in the past predicted the eradication of the route would happen, and now in a couple of days here in 2013, it's gonna actually happen..... all for the sake of MTA's baby; +SBS+....

What I don't get is that why are there 5 Limited :bus_bullet_bx15: s that leave 125th street / 12th avenue on weekdays between 6:57 and 7:37pm (6:57, 7:07, 17, 27, 37) but there are no locals between them... A local departs 149th/3rd av at 7:36 then there's a huge gap until 8:27 pm when the next Local stops at 149th street (this Local departs from 12th Av/125th st)!!! They must have either forgotten to put local :bus_bullet_bx15:s between them or scheduled this timeframe badly....

Also,  :bus_bullet_bx41: local schedule effective 6/30 is up:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bronx/bx041cur.pdf

What I don't get is that why are there 5 Limited :bus_bullet_bx15: s that leave 125th street / 12th avenue on weekdays between 6:57 and 7:37pm (6:57, 7:07, 17, 27, 37) but there are no locals between them... A local departs 149th/3rd av at 7:36 then there's a huge gap until 8:27 pm when the next Local stops at 149th street (this Local departs from 12th Av/125th st)!!! They must have either forgotten to put local :bus_bullet_bx15:s between them or scheduled this timeframe badly....

Also,  :bus_bullet_bx41: local schedule effective 6/30 is up:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bronx/bx041cur.pdf

it's probably a print era, there is a way to check trip planner

Archived