Bx41 +SelectBusService

Mysterious2train

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't get is that why are there 5 Limited :bus_bullet_bx15: s that leave 125th street / 12th avenue on weekdays between 6:57 and 7:37pm (6:57, 7:07, 17, 27, 37) but there are no locals between them... A local departs 149th/3rd av at 7:36 then there's a huge gap until 8:27 pm when the next Local stops at 149th street (this Local departs from 12th Av/125th st)!!! They must have either forgotten to put local :bus_bullet_bx15:s between them or scheduled this timeframe badly....

Also,  :bus_bullet_bx41: local schedule effective 6/30 is up:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bronx/bx041cur.pdf

opon looking a trip planner there asre lcl ever 10misns on the 6's from 636 on from 149th

Knowing the (MTA), they probably won't even have personel at heavily used stops to help people new to the whole SBS system... 

They've always had people out at most of the stops for the first week or two of SBS elsewhere. Why do you think the Bx41 will be any different?

In the summary of the 4th CAC meeting, it's stated that "The number of current Third Avenue bus riders who continue north of East Fordham Road on the Bx55 is not a large number, fewer than 300 riders a day". For reference, the current level of service on the Bx55 has been in effect since September 2011. Looking at the schedule, there are 47 Northbound trips from the Hub to Gun Hill Road. (Yep, I counted :ph34r:) If that statistic refers only to Northbound service that comes out to a rough 6 riders per bus. If that number refers only to people coming from the 3rd Av stops and doesn't include people getting on at the Webster Av and Fordham Road stop (or the 3 stops after it) it means that's a few more people on each bus, but that's not much better. While the MTA has more than hacked away at driven ridership suffering I do find that to be a little low. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that number was just referring to the number of people getting at the one Webster Av and Fordham Road stop alone, or a similar form of number-fudging. 

And Bx41 riders are still out Wakefield service. The MTA really went... minimal with this SBS. 

did anybody on notice that they flip the rush hour hw's on 3rs ave fivog the lcl a 5-7 min and the ltd an 8-10min. will the ltd be enouph? of couse the expect people who tranfer from/to crosstowns to use the 41sbs.

The LTD is using the frequency of the old Bx15 local, to keep service on 125th St the same. Likewise, the Bx15 local is using the same 6-7 min frequency that the Bx55 has had since 2011. 

If the MTA had made the Bx15 LTD have the same level of service as the Bx55 (and have the Bx15 local have the same frequency) every other LTD bus would end at the Hub and it'd mean less service for 125th St. The way things are now, this also means we'll probably see the occasional 40' bus on the LTD, which I'm not exactly looking forward to since it already has less service than the local, but what can you do?

That was the September 4th, 2011 edition, buddy!

The link led to me to the old schedule at first but now it leads to the new schedule.

The LTD is using the frequency of the old Bx15 local, to keep service on 125th St the same. Likewise, the Bx15 local is using the same 6-7 min frequency that the Bx55 has had since 2011. 

If the MTA had made the Bx15 LTD have the same level of service as the Bx55 (and have the Bx15 local have the same frequency) every other LTD bus would end at the Hub and it'd mean less service for 125th St. The way things are now, this also means we'll probably see the occasional 40' bus on the LTD, which I'm not exactly looking forward to since it already has less service than the local, but what can you do?

true, they could have short turns some ltds at the hub. what happeners when they have to addd ltd service because of over packedc busses?

Ideally most of the riders would be on the Bx15 local since it's more frequent. Some will probably tend toward the LTD but again, ideally, people would get on the Bx15 local since it'll be empty at the Hub and more frequent (or maybe not, since people nowadays are more than willing to slam the Bx15 at the Hub if it comes first, although there are separate crowds waiting for the 15 and the 55 [since they have different spots] some of the crowd waiting for the 55 will invariably run down to the 15, so I digress)

I don't really see the MTA adding any kind of service to the Bx15. Right now the focus is on the Bx41 and as it gains more ridership (particularly from the added SBS service on weekends), the MTA will try to add service to it and probably cut Bx15 service.

Even though the MTA moved some service around (switching the rush-hour service levels of the Bx15 and Bx55 for the Bx15 local and LTD, and decreasing service on the Bx41 local so that the SBS has more service than the LTD did) the total level of service on each street is the same (except for upper Webster Av, of course) so 3 Av still has more service than Webster Av. This has to change, and probably will eventually. 

BX41sbs bustime is now up and quick thought  im suprised they did not wrap some xd60's for sbs  and  is there any reason that SBS wrapped buses are only on the LFSA'S or just coincidence?

As far as I know, all SBS buses are LFSA's. Helps maintain a consistent "brand image", if you will.

Also, since even purple lights are unacceptable to Staten Islanders even when it's not affecting them, if an LFSA is coming that's one way to tell if it's SBS.

Honestly the S79 should've been a limited with signal priority, because that's really all it is.

As far as I know, all SBS buses are LFSA's. Helps maintain a consistent "brand image", if you will.

Also, since even purple lights are unacceptable to Staten Islanders even when it's not affecting them, if an LFSA is coming that's one way to tell if it's SBS.

Honestly the S79 should've been a limited with signal priority, because that's really all it is.

SBS is just the marketing for S79 nothing more. SBS draws attention.

I took Q72 to M60 to (4) to Bx12 SBS to Bx41 SBS to Bx15 to M15 SBS to M42 to Grand Central, stop vy at Apple, then join Animal Advocates for Parade, then M14D to (3) to Citizens Defending Library Meeting, then (3) to 23rd St for Whole Foods, then (3) to M34A SBS to PABT for internet cafe at PABT, then DANY Studio for Flashmob Rehearsal and Times Sq TKTS for Flashmob, now I'm using internet at W. Hotel 7th floor bar/shop area.

My friend was driving the Bx41 SBS 5782 I think.

I tell you whole report later.

and i wonder when the purple lights will come about (be put into place)?

• 1 month later...

No big deal. It's just a minor thing.

Personally, it isn't to me, but depending on who you ask it's a very big deal.

If you ask some of the regular SBS riders, they say the lights make identifying an SBS a lot easier (and deciding on whether or not to pay for the SBS ticket less of a gamble). I was under the impression that you could use a valid SBS ticket on a local bus for the same route, so this is a bit puzzling.

If you ask a politician from Staten Island, anything that looks remotely similar to a blue light is going to cause everyone to pull over and hit pedestrians on the sidewalk because they think a bus looks like an ambulance or police car.

• 2 months later...

I rode the Bx12 and 41 (Hub to Fordham Plaza) for the first time this morning, and I have to say - the 41SBS actually does pick a good bit, despite what others think that the local picks up more; untrue, in my opinion. Even going in the other direction (hub-bound) had standing loads.

If you ask some of the regular SBS riders, they say the lights make identifying an SBS a lot easier (and deciding on whether or not to pay for the SBS ticket less of a gamble).

YES, the lights are much easier. Just today I was waiting for the Bx12 SBS and there were what seemed to be from a distance two local Bx12 buses coming (an unwrapped LFSA and an XD60). The LFSA turned out to be the SBS bus.

Archived