Are high floors better accessible?

Turbo19

Are high floors better accessible than low floors? This topic regards my stance on this debate.

Low floors since their creation have been regarded as the stepping stone toward full accessibility, however, I'm here to show you otherwise. Some examples are:

While boarding of a wheelchair or similar device has improved for the operator, it has become more difficult for the passenger. Instead of a flat lift platform, passengers now face a steep ramp, difficult especially for manual chairs. In addition, interior space has shrunk due to high wheelwell obstruction (sometimes blocking front view), and overall limited seat space.

Though most seniors find boarding easier, those with walkers or carts (perhaps for support) may find that wheelwells and the reduction of front aisle seats are posing challenges regarding entry.

Lastly, a group often ignored, adults of small stature and children. Often ignored, these groups are affected negatively due to difference in ride height/low riding seats, higher dashboards, and higher windows. Additionally, moving towards the back may pose a challenge, particually for the latter group.

Though it would seem that low floors were an improvement, I see them as flawed, much more than high floors, Flaws that most us will not encounter soon or ever.

You forgot the "Catch 22" situation with the rear of the bus. Passengers don't want to go up the stairs and stand there because when the bus gets crowded, it makes it a lot harder to exit the bus. So a majority of the standing passengers crowd around the bottom of the stairs near the rear door. But when they crowd around that rear door, it makes it harder to exit the bus from the rear section of the bus...

Guest MTA Bus

IMO, the low floor buses are better because they are a lot easier to board, which is good for the people who can't climb the staris that well.

You forgot the "Catch 22" situation with the rear of the bus. Passengers don't want to go up the stairs and stand there because when the bus gets crowded, it makes it a lot harder to exit the bus. So a majority of the standing passengers crowd around the bottom of the stairs near the rear door. But when they crowd around that rear door, it makes it harder to exit the bus from the rear section of the bus...

The Orion VI (IIRC) solved that by having only a gentle slope toward the rear. I wonder why nobody's gone with that idea.

The Orion VI (IIRC) solved that by having only a gentle slope toward the rear. I wonder why nobody's gone with that idea.

The Orion VI's seating arrangement is absolutely terrible, at least the ones with the rear doors at the very back of the bus.

Agreed. Though this regards accessibility.

Archived