What are your thoughts on the new SLO tests?

CDTA

Pretty much what they are is a state test that makes you take a pre-test, and a post-test in every subject, including things like Gym, and Orchestra, and are also taken by every grade up from kindergarten. They are used primarily to grade schools and teachers. The pre-test does not go into the students grade, but the post test does.

Thoughts?

I really don't like it, mainly because

1. Really? We need state tests in Gym and Orchestra now? They act as if the reason nobody does anything in Gym, is because they don't know how to play, even though half of the kids sit out, simply because they don't like it. (And this will make them like it a hell of a lot more let me tell you that [/sarcasam])

2. IMO, Kindergartner's aren't mentally stable enough to take state tests. And besides, do you really need to take a state test in Kindergarten? Are people that dumb?

3. If we have prior knowledge, the teachers are absolutely screwed, because if we don't get 75% better by the end of the year, the teacher, and school get a bad grade, which is a bit difficult, when you get an almost perfect score the first time. As a matter of fact, the VP, and my teacher both said, to try not to be "that good".

I knew this would make it to NYCTF eventually—it's a stupid system that looks really good on paper. The prior knowledge problem is part of what the government wants to address, and the only legitimate way of countering it is to give people pretests BEFORE signing up for courses so that those who know more than a given % of the content don't need to take the course.

Gym is definitely a massive mistake... F*ck that shit, most people will fail going in with the attitude "oh, Gym's stupid so i don't need to study...

Did ever a politician come and tell someone how to teach and they agreed with it?

Plus how many are going to take up music anyway?

If you're in high school (at least here in NYC), they require you to take a year of art and/or music. They say it makes you more well-rounded, which is a load of BS. I mean, I like music and all, but you shouldn't be forced to take it.

I knew this would make it to NYCTF eventually—it's a stupid system that looks really good on paper. The prior knowledge problem is part of what the government wants to address, and the only legitimate way of countering it is to give people pretests BEFORE signing up for courses so that those who know more than a given % of the content don't need to take the course.

I've been saying that for the longest. That makes a lot of sense - too much sense for it to be implemented.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're in high school (at least here in NYC), they require you to take a year of art and/or music. They say it makes you more well-rounded, which is a load of BS. I mean, I like music and all, but you shouldn't be forced to take it.

Im in the art group in my school so i need 10 art semesters and AN ART REGENTS!!!yo, if there is a free draw on that,ill just draw aNeoplan or maybe an American Ikarus.I will ace that S*IT!

Archived