Noel Polanco, Unarmed Man Killed By NYPD, Was National Guardsman

Cait Sith

NEW YORK -- An unarmed 22-year-old man shot and killed by a New York City police officer during a traffic stop in Queens Thursday morning was a member of the New York Army National Guard, authorities said.

Police said Noel Polanco was speeding and driving erratically near LaGuardia Airport just after 5 a.m. when he was pulled over by officers. New York Police Department sources initially told news outlets that as two officers approached the car, Polanco reached under his seat, prompting Detective Hassam Handy to shoot him once in the stomach. Polanco died shortly after being taken to a nearby hospital.

No weapons were recovered from the car, but a hand drill was found under the driver's seat, police said.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said Thursday afternoon that a passenger in the car described as false the initial account that Polanco reached under the seat.

“The last thing she saw was his hands on the steering wheel,” Browne told The New York Post.

The shooting is now under investigation by Queens District Attorney Richard Brown, a spokeswoman for his office confirmed.

Amanda Reyes, Polanco's sister, was shaken when reached by The Huffington Post on her brother's cell phone. She said her father had died earlier this year.

"I already lost my father three months ago, and now my brother?" Reyes said. "There's nothing to say. I have nothing to say. I just feel hurt. There's only hurt."

Reyes said she had been told little about the shooting, but she rebuked the police for killing her brother.

"They did not have a right," Reyes said. "No, they did not have a right," she repeated, choking back a sob.

Her entire family was in shock, said Reyes.

According to an Army spokesman, Polanco enlisted in the New York Army National Guard in April 2008 and was assigned to the 156th Engineer Company out of Kingston, N.Y. He did not serve in Iraq or Afghanistan and had no record of misbehavior. He lived in LeFrak City in Queens.

Click here for source...

---------------------------------------

Those who follow me on Facebook and such know how I feel about this situation....considering that the dude who was killed is a good friend of mine that I've known for a very long time....so I'm not even going on a rant about this....

Click here for source...

---------------------------------------

Those who follow me on Facebook and such know how I feel about this situation....considering that the dude who was killed is a good friend of mine that I've known for a very long time....so I'm not even going on a rant about this....

My deepest condolences man.

Of course, the story has changed numerous times in the past day or so.

Clearly, these cops on the midnight were bored and decided that blasting someone would be fun.

You insensitive prick. Nothing warranted a response like that.

Anyhow, how would it be possible for PD to shoot his stomach, unless they were directly in front. <_<

All the stories I have read said the man who was shot reached under his seat. That is a sure way to get shot on a car stop. Also for ESU's A Team to make a car stop, this guy must have been a real danger to everyone on the road.

I think I'll wait and hear all of the facts before commenting. What I do find interesting is they say that there was a female cop in the back seat of the car so how would she allow him to be driving so recklessly as these cops claim? The cop that apparently fired the shot has been accused of violating folks' rights in the past and the city paid out thousands in a lawsuit.

I think I'll wait and hear all of the facts before commenting. What I do find interesting is they say that there was a female cop in the back seat of the car so how would she allow him to be driving so recklessly as these cops claim? The cop that apparently fired the shot has been accused of violating folks' rights in the past and the city paid out thousands in a lawsuit.

Agreed. Lets wait and see.

The off-duty female in the backseat claims to have been sleeping. She's also modified duty since she was caught shoplifting at Queens Center mall.

Rising star, for sure.

So it looks like there are no real winners in this one. A history of unprofessional cops and one man dead. Then the cops claimed that the guy that was shot had something but then they apparently dropped that theory, so this is just one big mess.

A big mess just because someone couldn't keep their hands on the steering wheel.

That's the part being disputed though... The passenger claims that he had his hands on the steering wheel the entire time. I got my source from Good Day New York, which many would argue is Republican so even they seem to be not exactly supporting the cops on this one. The one thing I will say is that some of the minority cops are more racist than the white cops, which I think the folks at the top is starting to discover, so flooding communities with folks of color isn't necessarily the answer either. These cops need to be thoroughly checked out before they are hired because I am hearing too many stories about cops doing something they had no business doing of late. You mentioned the cop in the backseat and recently I heard of some cop being charged for a DUI. My stance still stands on favoring cops, but Kelly needs to admit when these guys do wrong and step up to the plate and start doing more to screen these guys.

All the stories I have read said the man who was shot reached under his seat. That is a sure way to get shot on a car stop. Also for ESU's A Team to make a car stop, this guy must have been a real danger to everyone on the road.

No, it's not a sure way. Allowing a bunch of trigger-happy morons to kill a guy and writing it off as standard procedure is exactly what's wrong with people like you and the fascists running the NYPD today...

Sorry for your loss Shane, this one is an injustice.

Sorry for your loss Cait Sith.

If the driver was stopped and cops aimed at him, why didn't they said to put his hands on the wheel instead of shooting him? Then again, these bastards deserve to be punished for shooting at him w/o reason.

ESU detectives and Sergeants tend not to pull people over for simple infractions, so I'm sure there was more going on here. Granted, it was still dark at the time and probably hard to see, but ESU has the senior detectives who are least likely to "accidentally" shot someone. Hopefully the investigation will clear this up more.

ESU detectives and Sergeants tend not to pull people over for simple infractions, so I'm sure there was more going on here. Granted, it was still dark at the time and probably hard to see, but ESU has the senior detectives who are least likely to "accidentally" shot someone. Hopefully the investigation will clear this up more.

Sure, but the officer who shot him had a history of beating people up and using excessive violence according to the recent reports. Trigger-happy cop vs. an unarmed man, that sure ended well...

Sure, but the officer who shot him had a history of beating people up and using excessive violence according to the recent reports. Trigger-happy cop vs. an unarmed man, that sure ended well...

I hear you. Te whole situation sounds like a bunch of bad factors coming together and ending terribly for everyone.

No, it's not a sure way. Allowing a bunch of trigger-happy morons to kill a guy and writing it off as standard procedure is exactly what's wrong with people like you and the fascists running the NYPD today...

So you'd rather have a decaying and dying city with a very weak police department, simply becuase you can't seem to accept that police officers have certain rights that are above those of a civilian. The law states that if a officer feels they are in imediate danger, they can defend themselves as nessisary.

So you'd rather have a decaying and dying city with a very weak police department, simply becuase you can't seem to accept that police officers have certain rights that are above those of a civilian. The law states that if a officer feels they are in imediate danger, they can defend themselves as nessisary.

The only thing I don't want is your kind of police state where a cop has the "right" to murder an unarmed civilian because he's uncomfortable.

Something also doesn't make sense, how could he have shot him in the stomach if he was "bending down".....if you're sitting at a 90 degree angle as you should in a car, he'd get the stomach, but if he was bending down, there's no way he could unless he was positioned at a certain stance to get that shot......

I have to agree... I don't like how he uses every opportunity to bash cops but then he says they're here to protect him as well so which is it?

Archived