Noel Polanco, Unarmed Man Killed By NYPD, Was National Guardsman

Cait Sith

Something also doesn't make sense, how could he have shot him in the stomach if he was "bending down".....if you're sitting at a 90 degree angle as you should in a car, he'd get the stomach, but if he was bending down, there's no way he could unless he was positioned at a certain stance to get that shot......

First, sorry for your loss. Sounds like a bad convergence of bad situations.

I've taken care of a lot of people who have been shot (I did work in Newark for 3 years); bullets do strange things. Assuming the cop stood at the driver's door, depending on what his position was (by the mirror as opposed to the post), they can shoot the stomach, or if right at the window, into the side.

The only thing I don't want is your kind of police state where a cop has the "right" to murder an unarmed civilian because he's uncomfortable.

It's not murder in these cirmustaces as murder requires, by definition, a pre-existing want to kill. These actions in at best, if the killing is unjustifed, then it's at best negligant mansluaghter.

Having read more into this article...I have to wonder if this was more than just an officer snapping...the OP's friend was a reservist and the officer is ethnically Arab with a history of violent tendencies. This smells like an execution-style murder by an officer who had no business being on the force...and if the details about the shooting officer get further known, it will cause even more controversy.

The officer's name was Hassan Hamdy; at least some elsewhere are calling Polanco a victim of terrorism (although I would not go there yet because not all of the details are in).

So you'd rather have a decaying and dying city with a very weak police department, simply becuase you can't seem to accept that police officers have certain rights that are above those of a civilian. The law states that if a officer feels they are in imediate danger, they can defend themselves as nessisary.

Police officers are entrusted with the duty of upholding the law, but that does not make them above the law. Self defense is acceptable when the police officer's life is in danger, not when the police officer is angry that someone cut him off. And in any case, usually when someones back is to you, you pose the greater risk of doing harm.

Oh, and shooting someone in the heat of the moment is considered murder.

Impressive, we've even managed to get the T-word (terrorism) in there. True colors show.

I know it's early to be throwing that around, but there is no question that the officer who shot Polanco does have a pretty sketchy record while being on the job. He's cost the city thousands in lawsuits in which it was alleged that he violated the civil rights of several people. Now of course you can argue that the city just paid the folks to get the cases quiet, but you've got to wonder if a guy keeps having these sorts of problems, you should at least investigate to see if this guy is legit and should be kept on the force or what the deal is. At the least he's a liability and that's the last thing the city needs are more liabilities.

Making CCRB complaints and claiming a cop "violated your civil rights" is like a bodily function for some of the people in this city. The city lottery is a good way for some quick cash. The city settles lawsuits that don't even have any merit, that's how financially irresponsible they are.

Interestingly enough, those who complain about the cops always have some sort of sketchy background. Funny how that works out.

Making CCRB complaints and claiming a cop "violated your civil rights" is like a bodily function for some of the people in this city. The city lottery is a good way for some quick cash. The city settles lawsuits that don't even have any merit, that's how financially irresponsible they are.

Interestingly enough, those who complain about the cops always have some sort of sketchy background. Funny how that works out.

LOL... You have a valid point, but that's why they shouldn't just pay out and move on. They should ensure that cops don't have any sketchy background so that they can fight those cases.

The city (including the PC) is far too liberal. That's why they never hesitate to throw a cop under the bus.

Though I have to admit, Kelly has been doing right to a few of his own men lately, primarily because his career is fizzling out.

The city (including the PC) is far too liberal. That's why they never hesitate to throw a cop under the bus.

Though I have to admit, Kelly has been doing right to a few of his own men lately, primarily because his career is fizzling out.

At the same time not every guy is a crook either. I think it's wrong to throw the cops under the bus automatically, just as it is wrong to call every person involved with cops perps. In this particular case the guy shot and killed seemed to have a clean record. While his driving was reckless, it would be wise to see what happened and why before either side jumps to conclusion.

It's clear that he acted in a manner that presented himself as a threat to the officer involved. When you're pulled over, you turn the dome light on, open the window, turn the car off and put your hands on the steering wheel. This isn't rocket science.

It's not a good time to play with your power drill when the police are pulling you over. Of course, the name of the game is "don't get pulled over", but we'll cut the guy some slack.

It's clear that he acted in a manner that presented himself as a threat to the officer involved. When you're pulled over, you turn the dome light on, open the window, turn the car off and put your hands on the steering wheel. This isn't rocket science.

It's not a good time to play with your power drill when the police are pulling you over. Of course, the name of the game is "don't get pulled over", but we'll cut the guy some slack.

Yes, but that's what's being disputed. This is what the cop alleges, but we don't know if this is true or not. I'm more interested in knowing why this guy was driving so recklessly and this is one reason I'd rather wait before I pass judgment either way.

We've got a cop with a shady record and a guy who was killed with a clean record, BUT who was driving recklessly. The NYPD is going to stand behind their own and the mother is going to call her child a saint, so we have three sides...

Despite what the liberal naysayers claim, cops don't turn out of the stationhouse with the intent to blast someone. Nobody wants to deal with the physical and psychological stress that follows afterwards. I know this is hard for some here to believe, but I can almost guarantee you that this guy feels like shit over this, mostly because he killed somebody. Cops are people too.

Despite what the liberal naysayers claim, cops don't turn out of the stationhouse with the intent to blast someone. Nobody wants to deal with the physical and psychological stress that follows afterwards. I know this is hard for some here to believe, but I can almost guarantee you that this guy feels like shit over this, mostly because he killed somebody. Cops are people too.

True, but you do have dirty cops. What some folks are claiming with regards to the cop is a bit of a stretch but not impossible. For the most part, most cops are good folks, but the few bad ones give a bad name for the rest of them. I have a few friends who are cops and we go back from our childhood/teenage years, and I'm extremely proud of them. They're good guys just trying to do the right thing and provide for their families. Like I said, I've never had a problem with cops and generally favor them in most cases, but in this one I'd rather sit on the sidelines and see how things sort themselves out, just because I feel like there is more to this story that hasn't come out yet.

Something also doesn't make sense, how could he have shot him in the stomach if he was "bending down".....if you're sitting at a 90 degree angle as you should in a car, he'd get the stomach, but if he was bending down, there's no way he could unless he was positioned at a certain stance to get that shot......

We have our winner!

Stomach wound = guy was seated STRAIGHT up, back to his seat!!

That cop also has a shady history...

The New York Patrolling Dipshits strike again.

Have it your way.

All NYPD to be removed from city limits. Assimilate them into the surrounding departments to maintain order there. Let NYC run wild.

In a day, everyone would be begging for the NYPD to come back.

All NYPD to be removed from city limits. Assimilate them into the surrounding departments to maintain order there. Let NYC run wild.

No.

What I expect is more PROFESSIONALISM from these guys. They are supposed to SERVE and PROTECT.

Can't have none of this 'trigger-happy' bullshit

Lets see. 1)Racism 2)Police Bruality/Abuse 3)Police Chief Kelly/Mayor Bloomberg. 4) A Minority killed serving in the military.

This is a topic that will soon have 200-plus replies.

Nah, I'm not worried about race. It's how screwed up things have been as of late...

No.

What I expect is more PROFESSIONALISM from these guys. They are supposed to SERVE and PROTECT.

Can't have none of this 'trigger-happy' bullshit

For a department of its size and a jurisdiction as large as it is, the NYPD does a pretty good job.

Have it your way.

Who said anything about removing the police? I just called them dipshits because...........well...........they're dipshits. They really need to check the behaviors of some of those officers.

Archived