Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
WMATA

Full scale model of WMATA 7K series rail car

The full scale model shown back in March has arrived on Metro's property. It's a short clip, but the model will be unveiled sometime next week.

Also, a small note. For those that are fans of the Breda 4000 series cars (with the popular "buzz" propulsion sound), I am hearing that those may go the way of the dodo. WMATA may exercise a 100 car option order for the 7000 series to completely replace them. They're structurally identical to the 1000 series cars (not a good thing if involved in head-on collisions) and it probably makes more sense to just order newer cars.

• Upvote 3

The 4000s will be replaced.

And whatever any press release has said, that is not a model. That is the real thing. Perhaps missing some parts, but that is a real car.

• Upvote 1

The 4000s will be replaced.

And whatever any press release has said, that is not a model. That is the real thing. Perhaps missing some parts, but that is a real car.

Agreed. The 4k cars have the worst MDBF of all the cars in the fleet with around 29,000 miles between failures (WMATA has a MDBF goal of 60,000; only the 6k cars are exceeding that goal). In hindsight, they should have lumped them in with the 2k and 3k cars when they were sent to Hornell to get rehabbed by Alstom.

The only things I could see "missing" are the trucks and the other three cars to complete the set. Everything else appears to be intact. Hopefully the unveiling is for the public. It looks like it's being stored at the New Carrollton maintenance facility. I could easily go there and get some nice shots for you guys.

I like the WMATA but that car looks like if it was from the New York City subway with the lower half of that car bent more. Are these airconditioned or just another car that is so hot you have to drink water all the time?

I like the WMATA but that car looks like if it was from the New York City subway with the lower half of that car bent more. Are these airconditioned or just another car that is so hot you have to drink water all the time?

Well, Kawasaki is the builder. Their latest heavy rail projects (PA-5, R160) mirror each other.

Why wouldn't the cars be air conditioned? They'll have an HVAC system similar to what's found on the NTTs in NYC. The 7k cars will undoubtedly be louder than the existing cars for that reason alone. But, they'll have a reliable cooling and heating system.

Sadly the unveiling was not open to the public. I was able to find a photostream on Flickr (courtesy of "tracktwentynine").

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39017545@N02/sets/72157631738554607/with/8074319408/

While watching the local news, I heard a simpler digital announcement for door openings. I liked it and hope they go with that and get rid of the current announcement.

Edited by WMATA

Well, Kawasaki is the builder. Their latest heavy rail projects (PA-5, R160) mirror each other.

Why wouldn't the cars be air conditioned? They'll have an HVAC system similar to what's found on the NTTs in NYC. The 7k cars will undoubtedly be louder than the existing cars for that reason alone. But, they'll have a reliable cooling and heating system.

Thanks for the info. Like the R160s, they have Heat, Ventilation and Air Conditioning systems. :D

I like what I see. The cars look like they will be good riding and roomy cars like the R160's and PA-5's. I'm looking forward to riding them!

• Upvote 1