NYTM 9/30/12

GojiMet86

Free admission?! Damn, if I had known that I would have actually went to the Bus Festival!

(Sorry for sounding cheap - I don't have a job yet so I don't have the money. I would definitely pay for it, though)

Some pipe railings are bent to the point that it could damage any of the preserved cars if any were to be pulled out or put into the station. Was it really that crowded down there?

Besides the IND and BMT bullets in one of your shots, were there any IRT bullets for sale as well?

Very nice photos, and interesting goodies that you caught on camera.

I can answer and comment on some of the things you have said.

First, I haven't been there in a while, however as far as the bent pipes, I am 100% sure the crew will remove them before any of those vintage trains are moved to 207 Street for whatever reason. R1 # 100, R4 # 484 and R7A (R10 prototype) #1575 will probably leave the museum next as the crew will be getting the Holiday Nostalgia Train ready in about a month. I'm just curious what they will put in their this year as a replacement - maybe the R38's??

Second, when you turn the wheels on the R160 model in the fourth picture, different things happen. As part of the Electricity exhibit, the Transit Museum wants people to learn how the subway cars get their electricity. An example of this is the third picture from the top, which shows the 3rd rail. When anyone moves the shoe beam (or the R160) away from the shoe beam, the lights go off. However, when anyone moves the R160 on the shoe beam it lights up.

I haven't been there in a while either, but I know one of those wheels opens and closes the doors on the other side of the R160. Another one turns on the lights, providing you spin it fast enough. The other two I am not 100% sure of, since I have not been there in a while. The purpose of this is to "generate" electricity for different parts of the subway car.

Finally, I know for sure that R10 #3184 has not been in the museum in a while. From what I heard and read, that car is a 'schoolcar' at Pitkin Yard. The only 3 arnines that are in there are R1 #100, R4 #484 and R7A #1575. These 3 cars normally stay in the museum 10 months out of the year from January to November. During the other 2 months these cars are being used on the weekends for the Holiday Nostalgia Train with the other 5 arnine cars (381, 401, 1000, 1300 & 1802). During the rest of the week they are at the 207 Street Yard, either laid-up or being worked on in the shop or barn for the weekend trip.

Archived