Are R142s, R142As, and R143s as reliable as the R160s?

StevenFrancis

I am sick and tired or walking into an R142 car and looking at the route map and seeing "Route Change: This map is not in service", I think it should have the FIND like on the R160s, for reroutes, which is a smart idea. Should the R142s, R142As, and R143s be retrofitted with FINDs?

display flexibilty on the 143s is a non issue since they stay on the L all times.

On the IRT the need is only a little higher, comapired to the sheer number of directions at train can go on the BMT. heck, in the case of the R188 conversions switching to FINDs would be down right idiotic.

Didn't somebody say a while ago that a (2)/(5) strip map was in the works?

(Courtesy of Lance)

5NereidtoFlatbush25combinedstrip.png

That's utterly confusing, with different stations on the top and on the bottom.

Since the 2 and 5 share so many stops in the Bronx and Brooklyn, I wonder if there are enough lights available so that each dot refers to only one station.

Since the 2 and 5 share so many stops in the Bronx and Brooklyn, I wonder if there are enough lights available so that each dot refers to only one station.

Well, it's main purpose is to just say what stop is next, not what line you're on.

I believe someone mentioned that there's just enough lights to indicate all the stops the (2) makes when it runs all local. So assuming they only display the Manhattan express stops, I'm sure they could fit most of the stops in a combined map. For the (5), they would need to space out some of the stops if they want to keep the same lights for the Bronx and Brooklyn ends.

That said, it's a nice idea, but I think it could lead to more confusion.

Well, it's main purpose is to just say what stop is next, not what line you're on.

How many tourists do you think will be able to immediately realize that they're supposed to ignore either the upper half or the lower half of the map, depending on which line they're on?

Wouldn't it be much clearer to lay it all out in a single row, so that each light corresponds to only one stop?

How many tourists do you think will be able to immediately realize that they're supposed to ignore either the upper half or the lower half of the map, depending on which line they're on?

Wouldn't it be much clearer to lay it all out in a single row, so that each light corresponds to only one stop?

They should know, seeing how one half says (5) and is Green, and the other half is red and says (2). After all the NTT's have signs that say (2) and (5), and even a red (2) and a green (5) on the inside.

They should know, seeing how one half says (5) and is Green, and the other half is red and says (2). After all the NTT's have signs that say (2) and (5), and even a red (2) and a green (5) on the inside.

To New York railfans, it's obvious. To non-railfans who've never been on the subway before, it's an utter jumble of contradictory information. The point of maps is to serve people who don't know where they're going, not to serve railfans.

To New York railfans, it's obvious. To non-railfans who've never been on the subway before, it's an utter jumble of contradictory information. The point of maps is to serve people who don't know where they're going, not to serve railfans.

Or you know, they could have no information.

Confusion is much worse than no information.

As I asked before: "Wouldn't it be much clearer to lay it all out in a single row, so that each light corresponds to only one stop?"

There isn't enough room.

If I'm not mistaken, there are around 65 LED lights behind those cardboard strip maps on the 142(A)s and the full 2 line has 61 stops. It'll fit, but it would be a tight squeeze, especially towards the ends of the maps what with those directional lights above them. As for the one I designed and was posted up-thread, I admit it is quite a bit confusing, but I'd imagine they would use something similar as I don't see them making too many modifications to the 142s, like adding a second line of LEDs for the strips for example. It's almost a shame they didn't include those LED displays that are on the 143s that show various tidbits of info onto the 142s. They could've incorporated some sort of pseudo-FIND into the programming, but whatever.

I loved the idea of that strip map, but couldn't get over all the misaligned common stops either. I just realized it would be easy to edit, so here's another way to do it:

ordRU.png

I know people will say that's confusing too, but the Dyre branch is only those five stops. (Are there enough LED's to add the five stops? Someone said there's 65, but I'm too lazy to count right now. Or how much would it cost to add five more?)

The (2) and (5) stop at the same stations in Bronx between East 180th Street and Grand Concourse & in Brooklyn between Franklin Avenue and Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue. I think those station should be combined together while the rest of the stations are all separated to the (2) Broadway-7 Av Express and (5) Lexington Av Express sections respectively.

Well, that's what I've done on this revised map. Unless you mean the lines should separate themselves in Manhattan. That would require 2 rows of LED's, which they don't have. Unless you fix it so that the two lines are not over the LED lights but parallel to them, which might make it a little bit more clear.

Archived