Are R142s, R142As, and R143s as reliable as the R160s?

StevenFrancis

I could have sworn the R142 manual listed the # of strip map lights, but I can't find it. It's either 65 or 70.

And there's only ONE row of lights. If you want them to install new strip map lights, you might as well have them put in the FINDs instead.

Lets raise the fare to $2.50 right now to pay for this, and then see how badly the public still wants them......

I don't want to turn it on a "Post your stripmap" but, well, here is my ideia, i know it has some mistakes, just ignore it please. I just wanted to show if the problem on the R142 are the strip-maps here is how i would fix it.

stripmap.jpg

Looks great, except that the (2) runs via local along Broadway-Seven Avenue at night.

That is very good. That's what I would have thought of, except as was pointed out, there is only one row of lights, and to add another would mean replacing all those units (and probably rewiring and reprogramming), which would probably be costly, and you almost might as well add FINDS.

(Also, the current maps don't have the (2) running local either. Really, it would be best to just have FIND's).

When the R142's first debuted, the (2) ran express in Manhattan 24/7, so there was no point in putting local stops on there.

On your fantasy strip map, is there really any point in separating the two Brooklyn routes? They both do the same stops, just have the (5) not have all the stops lit when it's running express (and Clark and Hoyt would never be lit). Also, it doesn't say Atlantic-Barclays. Considering that the MTA took the time/money to reprint all of the fasttrack posters just so they would say Barclays on them, somebody at Ops Planning would probably get fired if they handed in a strip map like that.

There isn't enough room.

Yes there is. The 2 makes 49 stops (not including the Manhattan local stops, which the current map doesn't include). The 5 makes 15 additional stops not shared with the 2. That's a total of 61 distinct stops. Since there are more than 61 lights available, the system as it exists today can support a combined 2/5 map that assigns each light to only one station.

The (2) and (5) stop at the same stations in Bronx between East 180th Street and Grand Concourse & in Brooklyn between Franklin Avenue and Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue. I think those station should be combined together while the rest of the stations are all separated to the (2) Broadway-7 Av Express and (5) Lexington Av Express sections respectively.

Bingo, and between Borough Hall and Franklin Avenue, every 5 stop is shared by the 2.

I hope you're joking. You'd really rather have no strip maps at all?

The redbirds had strip maps in the ad panels above the storm doors. (Not illuminated stop-by-stop, of course.)

I don't want to turn it on a "Post your stripmap" but, well, here is my ideia, i know it has some mistakes, just ignore it please. I just wanted to show if the problem on the R142 are the strip-maps here is how i would fix it.

stripmap.jpg

This would probably the best way to do it. Excellent job. In the R33 days, they had something similar to this.

IMG_20120904_115655.jpg

Pretty smart of the (MTA) huh?

That is very good. That's what I would have thought of, except as was pointed out, there is only one row of lights, and to add another would mean replacing all those units (and probably rewiring and reprogramming), which would probably be costly, and you almost might as well add FINDS.

(Also, the current maps don't have the (2) running local either. Really, it would be best to just have FIND's).

Exactly. These cars should have gotten FINDs in the R142A Overhaul/R188. The reason I love them is that they have endless possibilities for reroutes. Sure you could say that the R142 does too. But like the R46, it will not display the stops. A FIND will. (A) to Coney Island? (E) to Whitehall? You got it.

If I'm not mistaken, there are around 65 LED lights behind those cardboard strip maps on the 142(A)s and the full 2 line has 61 stops. It'll fit, but it would be a tight squeeze, especially towards the ends of the maps what with those directional lights above them. As for the one I designed and was posted up-thread, I admit it is quite a bit confusing, but I'd imagine they would use something similar as I don't see them making too many modifications to the 142s, like adding a second line of LEDs for the strips for example. It's almost a shame they didn't include those LED displays that are on the 143s that show various tidbits of info onto the 142s. They could've incorporated some sort of pseudo-FIND into the programming, but whatever.

When I was an intern and saw the R143 mockup with one of the engineers(late 90s), he told me that the original concept for those led signs on the 143s was more than what they're used for(mostly psa and metrocard ads). Their ideas was to show weather, headlines, delays,etc. But ofcourse that never happened and was dropped for the FINDs.

As per the R62/As, I'm assuming?

Look directly above the storm door:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3699

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4068

Exactly. These cars should have gotten FINDs in the R142A Overhaul/R188.

The R188's are specifically in alternating 5-car and 6-car sets and are going to be equipped with the unique CBTC system for the Flushing line. Why waste money equipping them with FIND? They will only run on the 7.

The R188's are specifically in alternating 5-car and 6-car sets and are going to be equipped with the unique CBTC system for the Flushing line. Why waste money equipping them with FIND? They will only run on the 7.

So says Mr. (MTA).... <_< For someone who claims that they don't work for the (MTA) you sure do seem awfully certain of yourself...

So says Mr. (MTA).... <_< For someone who claims that they don't work for the (MTA) you sure do seem awfully certain of yourself...

I'm not sure where you're going with that comment. It's pretty much common knowledge around this forum that the 188s will run in five- and six-car sets to make a full 11-car train, just like it is now with the 62As.

Archived