Are R142s, R142As, and R143s as reliable as the R160s?

StevenFrancis

We've all seen things be changed by the (MTA) last minute, so like I said...

The only purpose of the R188 contract is to end up with a fleet of cars compatible with the Flushing CBTC system currently under construction. The cars are being configured in equal numbers of 5-car and 6-car sets and are being equipped with CBTC packages compatible with the system under construction on the Flushing line.

R62s have 11 Car trains? You learn something new everyday.

He said 62As. The 7 currently runs 11-car trains of R62A's.

The only purpose of the R188 contract is to end up with a fleet of cars compatible with the Flushing CBTC system currently under construction. The cars are being configured in equal numbers of 5-car and 6-car sets and are being equipped with CBTC packages compatible with the system under construction on the Flushing line.

I'm not sure where you're going with that comment. It's pretty much common knowledge around this forum that the 188s will run in five- and six-car sets to make a full 11-car train, just like it is now with the 62As.

That's all fine and good. My point was that with the (MTA) overall, most things aren't as certain as you two are making them out to be and that is no secret. This is one of the few cases where things should remain as they currently have been proposed.

That's all fine and good. My point was that with the (MTA) overall, most things aren't as certain as you two are making them out to be and that is no secret. This is one of the few cases where things should remain as they currently have been proposed.

If a contract is awarded for one specific purpose, then it's pretty obvious that things won't be arbitrarily changed to defeat that very purpose.

Note that I haven't said anything about precisely where the 7's R62A's will go. A lot of people seem to assume it's the 6, but it could just as well be the 4. (The 2 and 5 are unlikely.) But there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the R188's will all go to the 7.

Well sorry for the inaccuracy, even though it was pretty clear what I meant.

If it wasn't, I was responding to Lance.

It wasn't and still isn't clear to me at all, and you made a public post on a message board, so I don't know why you're objecting that the "wrong" person responded.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there is. The 2 makes 49 stops (not including the Manhattan local stops, which the current map doesn't include). The 5 makes 15 additional stops not shared with the 2. That's a total of 61 distinct stops. Since there are more than 61 lights available, the system as it exists today can support a combined 2/5 map that assigns each light to only one station.

I kept putting this off and then forgot, but here's with the Dyre line receiving its own lights:

uJc6Z.png

I kept putting this off and then forgot, but here's with the Dyre line receiving its own lights:

uJc6Z.png

As I already said, there's no need for any light to correspond to more than one station. There are only 61 distinct stations on the 2 and 5 combined, and there are (supposedly) 65 lights.

The typeface here is smaller than necessary, and there's no way that tourists can be expected to know to look up on the 2 but down on the 5. If each light corresponds to only one station, the station names only have to go on top, and the colored stripe can indicate which ones are served by the 2, by the 5, or by both.

I'm not a graphic designer or I'd post one of my own...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived