Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
dmouse

Presidential Debate at Hofstra to affect NICE bus service

Presidential Debate @ Hofstra to affect NICE bus service

On Oct. 16, Hofstra University will host the Presidential Debate at its Hempstead campus. Because of the highest level of security surrounding the event, NICE bus service in the surrounding Nassau Hub area will be greatly impacted.

Multiple road closures and detours will severely restrict travel in the area around the university. NICE bus riders traveling in the area may experience major delays and detours and should plan accordingly.

The Nassau County Police Department and the Secret Service will lock down the area surrounding Hofstra University in phases beginning at 5 a.m. on the morning of the debate and continuing through approximately 11 p.m. Because of the high level of security, NICE bus will not know specifics about closures until just prior to the shut down, but will make every effort to keep passengers apprised of changes to the schedule and when and where buses are running.

The affected bus routes are the n16, n23, n24, n27, n43, n45, n51, n70/71 and Able Ride. Bus stops in the lock down areas will not be serviced at those times, and security demands that specific information regarding service suspension cannot be made available in advance. Able Ride passengers that may be affected will be contacted directly.

Riders should visit the NICE bus website, www.nicebus.com, for alerts and the NICE bus Travel Information call center (516.228.4000). NICE bus will distribute flyers and post signs at all affected bus stops, in the buses, at Nassau Community College and Hofstra University, and at the Hempstead Transportation Center.

---http://www.liherald.com/stories/Presidential-Debate-at-Hofstra-to-affect-NICE-bus-service,43588?content_source=&category_id=5&search_filter=&event_mode=&event_ts_from=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=&sub_type=&town_id=

This should be so fun for all riders. The buses are going to go so far off course.

I remember the last debate, they just completely cancelled classes at NCC and Hofstra.

I wonder what they'll do with the students living in the dorms as well.

Edited by Joel Up Front

I really want to go there and get some pictures of buses on random streets...

They should just cut service up to the point of the lock down and have buses go up to that point and not mess around anywhere near Hofstra. People know and the general public will probably be told to stay away from the area if they are not going to the debate. I see major gridlock and NICE buses should not be in mess, maybe they can set up an alternate transfer area instead of the mall.

What will be interesting (for me anyway) is whether or not NICE buses will be able to get in & out of Mitchel Field that day. Rockville Centre can barley accommodate what they have, I wonder if NICE will stage buses somewhere for drivers to report to work to keep them away from the mess? remember a driver could report to work in the AM and be struck for hours coming back in the bas or after they leave in their personal car. If things get bad in that area (total gridlock) and I think NICE drivers will also not be able to get to work which will affect many other lines besides those that run through the area if area is not taking and they don't set up a staging area for drivers to meet. How many abandoned big box stores and car dealerships in Nassau County? It should not be very hard to find a spot bus so crucial they do.

Edited by Burrstone

They should just cut service up to the point of the lock down and have buses go up to that point and not mess around anywhere near Hofstra. People know and the general public will probably be told to stay away from the area if they are not going to the debate. I see major gridlock and NICE buses should not be in mess, maybe they can set up an alternate transfer area instead of the mall.

What will be interesting (for me anyway) is whether or not NICE buses will be able to get in & out of Mitchel Field that day. Rockville Centre can barley accommodate what they have, I wonder if NICE will stage buses somewhere for drivers to report to work to keep them away from the mess? remember a driver could report to work in the AM and be struck for hours coming back in the bas or after they leave in their personal car. If things get bad in that area (total gridlock) and I think NICE drivers will also not be able to get to work which will affect many other lines besides those that run through the area if area is not taking and they don't set up a staging area for drivers to meet. How many abandoned big box stores and car dealerships in Nassau County? It should not be very hard to find a spot bus so crucial they do.

Maybe they should had made the debate at Hofstra on a Sunday. And if Nice/Veoila was smart they could made a deal with the LIRR to cross honor Metrocards for bus riders even though it's out of the way.

I checked the site, and it only says "expect delays", no word of what the detours are...

I checked the site, and it only says "expect delays", no word of what the detours are...

You are not going to know in advance. I copied this straight from the message above.

Because of the high level of security, NICE bus will not know specifics about closures until just prior to the shut down, but will make every effort to keep passengers apprised of changes to the schedule and when and where buses are running.

According to Newsday the only closures are:

-Earl Ovington Blvd between Charles Lindbergh and Hempstead Tpk

-Passenger cars only on Hempstead Tpk between Merrick Ave and Oak St

I think NICE will send everything via Charles Lindbergh/Merrick/Front St.

Presidential Debate Detour UPDATE

LATEST UPDATE -- 12:21 p.m.

Buses are not able to access the Social Services Offices at 60 Charles Lindbergh Ave. To access a bus, customers must walk to Oak Street. Buses will pick up and drop off only up to Oak.

It was crazy last night.

Actually, I think all NICE Bus routes are affected because some drivers does affected and unaffected routes.

Last night, n20 Hicksville show up in 3 at FLushing.

It was crazy last night.

Actually, I think all NICE Bus routes are affected because some drivers does affected and unaffected routes.

Last night, n20 Hicksville show up in 3 at FLushing.

The interlining certainly spreads the delays. However I feel Veolia/NICE did an excellent job informing passengers with signs and notices on every bus and at the bus stops in the affected areas.

They did do a good job on that. They couldn't do anything in advance for obvious reasons but they did well. Anyway, NCC classes were cancelled Tuesday.

I didn't know they were coming back to Hofstra, though....

All the paper posters were bilingual. I'll leave it up to the Spanish speakers to see if they had a Spanish speaker actually translate it or if they just used Google Translate, which is full idiot mode.