Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Via Garibaldi 8

Weekday Holiday service on NYC Buses

I've heard folks ask about this before when talking about holiday service and I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on this. The (MTA) runs "reduced service" on some holidays but they never clarify what exactly that means. What I'm getting at is as the passenger, you don't know which scheduled runs will run and won't run nor how much the service will actually be reduced. Is there any rhyme or reason to this set up? In other words I'm sure the (MTA) knows in advance which runs they're not sending out. Why can't they just create schedules on those days so that the passengers know what buses are and aren't running, eliminating the guessing game? I've heard for example that they have to send the last bus out, but that didn't happen on one line I use last year and I had to go and use another line.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

I've heard folks ask about this before when talking about holiday service and I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on this. The (MTA) runs "reduced service" on some holidays but they never clarify what exactly that means. What I'm getting at is as the passenger, you don't know which scheduled runs will run and won't run nor how much the service will actually be reduced. Is there any rhyme or reason to this set up? In other words I'm sure the (MTA) knows in advance which runs they're not sending out. Why can't they just create schedules on those days so that the passengers know what buses are and aren't running, eliminating the guessing game? I've heard for example that they have to send the last bus out, but that didn't happen on one line I use last year and I had to go and use another line.

Well the subway's worst holiday schedule is regular Sunday schedule service, even on Thanksgivng and Christmas days. But I see what you mean about the buses, Chrstmas and Thanksgivng are supposed to run "reduced" Sunday schedules on the buses and it's hard to tell what that really means. When I'm actually here for Thanksgiving or Christmas and I want to go somewhere I stick to the subway because of that, I don't know what a "reduced" Sunday schedule really means.

I guess Bustime will help people figure out when the buses are running.

Reduced service for the MTA means no limiteds on the Q6, 25 and 65. No LTD's in Staten Island except the S89

• Upvote 1

Reduced service for the MTA means no limiteds on the Q6, 25 and 65. No LTD's in Staten Island except the S89

Yes, this is clear. What isn't clear is how much service will be reduced. For example I have heard that they're supposed to send out the last express bus on each route but that didn't happen last year, so I'm looking to see if someone can clarify what exactly reduced service means in that case?

The S93 also runs.

The thing is that sometimes if a holiday runs on the weekends, they run reduced service, but they don't specify how much it's reduced by.