Laptop Choosing Decision

Hey all as my Highschool years come to an end I am looking into a few laptops that would get me through my final years of HS and at least 4-5 yrs in college.My old Sony Vaio-VGN AR230G was my baby it was a powerful computer back then when I first got it for Christmas in 2006 or 07 or maybe in 05 but nonthe less she was good running great games with high or medium results such as Halo CE,OMSI,FSX,Trainz Classics,2010,BVE\OPEN and a few others her specs:

Hard Drive: 200GB

Processor: Intel Core Duo T5600 / 1.83GHz(dual core)

Memory: 2GB RAM(which is the max and has 2GB)

17inch display screen(1440x900)

Graphics: NVIDA GeforceGo7400 Turbocache supporting 256MB

Cache: 2MB

Front Side Bus 667MHz Speed: 533MHz / PC2-4200

As I stated before this was a gift and I had no knowledge of computer technology back then and didn't care much but this was a decent laptop Pre-2011 honestly but now its time for me to move on the battery burnt out a few months ago and I want a new machine.

What I am looking to buy is a laptop between the ranges or $400 and $475 but I am willing to go $525(MAX) I am not a hardcore gamer playing games that require crazy graphics and memory I just casual game playing Doom95/Zdaemon(which is a multiplayer for Doom95),I am looking forward to getting the next version of Trainz or even Trainz 12 and I'll probably have BVE installed nontheless so nothing fancy just a laptop that will get similar or better results that will hold on for another 5-8yrs hopefully.So heres what I'm looking at:

Dell Inspiron i15RM-4121BK $450

AMD Quad-Core A8-3520M Processor with AMD Radeon HD 6470M dedicated graphics

6GB DDR3 memory

15.6" high-definition WLED display

750GB Serial ATA hard drive 5400 rpm

AMD Radeon HD 6470M graphics

Feature 1GB dedicated video memory for lush images with intricate detail

Processor Speed 1.6GHz

Cache Memory 1MB

Video Memory 1GB(dedicated)

I'm no computer geek but this is in my price range but one thing I am concerned about is the Dedicated Memory and Processor speed.Such as is 1.6GHz is one cores speed or when needed the cores respond to high performance and x 4 reaching possibly 6.4GHz(with all 4 cores)? Also the dedicated memory I don't get.But overall I like the specs and memory but the processor speed is throwing me off.The performance of the processor part depends on the used cores. Due to Turbo Core, a single core can be clocked up to 2.5 GHz so this can really be a 2.5GHz x 4 speed?

The other laptop is a:

Acer 15.6" Aspire V3 V3-551-8887 $430

4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive

AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon HD 7640G graphics

AMD Radeon HD 7640G graphics

With up to 512MB shared video memory support Unified Video Decoder 3.2 (UVD3.2), OpenCL 1.1, OpenGL 3.2, OpenEXR High-Dynamic Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 5.0 and Microsoft DirectX 11; HDMI output

Processor Speed 1.9GHz (with Turbo CORE up to 2.8GHz)

4MB Cache Memory

Video Memory upto512MB(shared)

I am leaning towards this one more because of the Processor Speed is higher but I don't understand the turbocore is it all 4 cores capable of a max 2.8GHz and the Cache Mem I don't get and Video Memory.

Help and opinions would be appreciated in making my decision of which to choose thanks.

That's a tight budget you're working with and quite a bit of expectations in terms of how long you want it to last, but with gentle use and the right machine, perhaps 5 years is possible particularly considering the brands in question. I would read as many reviews on your selections as possible and also if you can try to see if you can try them out in person. I don't think you can try out the Dell, but the Acer you can probably try one out in person to see how you like the keyboard and other functions. Also seeing that you want to get some good use out of this laptop, I would look into any warranties offered and review those carefully. Finally I would imagine that you'll be wanting to carry this baby around and I know of a really good American company up bags made specifically for laptops. They make them right there on site here in the US and the quality is excellent and they really protect your laptop from drops and the elements.

If you're intererested in knowing about the bags let me know.

Well, technology will most likely advance faster from now to 2016-2017 than it did from 2006-present. Don't be too surprised if it becomes too slow for your use within 3-5 years.

I would choose the A8-4500M along with the HD 7640G. The 4500M is better than the 3520M, and the 7640 is better than the 6470. As for the video memory issue, it shouldn't matter too much. Reason being is because my assumption is that you won't be attaching your laptop to HD+ resolution monitors and you won't be running extremely graphics intensive games.

Now, depending on what you major in college, you/may not need a stronger laptop. For example, in engineering you will work a lot with 3D Modeling, if you work on photojournalism in college, you'll probably need a better PC for something like Photoshop as you certainly won't have the time to be waiting on your PC to render out one image while you have a ton of other work to do. It all depends. But just comparing these 2 laptops, the second one is better than the first.

Well, if you would want to work with computer hardware, you would look into something like Computer Hardware Engineering, while if you would want to work with programming and designing software, Information Technology or Computer Science would be the thing for you.

Well, if you would want to work with computer hardware, you would look into something like Computer Hardware Engineering, while if you would want to work with programming and designing software, Information Technology or Computer Science would be the thing for you.

Thanks a lot man and I'm leaning towards hardware but I'll consider software and such.

Get the Acer, I visited a lot of electronic stores recently scouting for deals on a camera, whilst at it, a lot of people were complaining about Dell Laptops, so I highly recommend you get the Acer instead of the Dell. I went for Samsung, but Acer is a long-time computer manufacturer so go with them.

Lmao never said I did or didn't but what do you think play it safe and stay with Windows 7 or take the $15 offer to upgrade to Windows8 Pro?

Stay with Windows 7..........................unless you like this kind of desktop / start menu

start-screen.png

But yes, stay with Windows 7.

I didn't know anyone liked Windows 8.

I'm a Windows 8 guy, even if I don't have touch.. And I love it ;)

Besides, the Desktop option is still available, even though Metro is default. I have a 3rd Party app installed to bypass Metro at boot.

So far..... Waiting to see If I can dual boot Win8 on my Droid tablet. Gotta wait for RT.

If Windows RT can dual boot on an iPad that would be impressive..

I won't be switching to Windows 8. Also, 2 Train, those ratings aren't fair comparisons. The highest attainable WEI score in Windows 7 is 7.9 and the highest WEI score is Windows 8 is 9.9, so scores in 8 will probably be higher than those in 7.

Speaking of WEI Ratings, has anyone seen a 7.9 Processor rating? My Core i5 3570k @ 4.4 Ghz is 7.7 while my friend's Core i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz is 7.8. I haven't seen a 7.9 CPU yet.

• 2 months later...

Archived