SBS Allowing On-Board Payment?

mdude04

I was riding the M34 for the first time in months over the weekend, and noticed that well over half the people who got on the bus seemed to dip their Metrocard after boarding the bus. This seems to defeat the purpose of SBS, although in my past experience I recall the driver spending a lot more time telling clueless people that they needed to use the machines than he would have if he just let them on. So do the SBS buses now have on-board fare collection?

Also, what exactly now is the policy for battling fare evasion?

M34/M34A SBS is major tourist line and some tourist or people who rides 34th St bus does not know about Honor System, so sometimes nice B/Os let them on.

Only onboard SBS payment is on S79 SBS. Not on M34/M34A SBS, Not on Bx12 SBS or M15 SBS.

Confused people paid onboard the bus, but some drivers don't warn passengers there's inspection on SBS.

Maybe fare inspector might given foreign tourists break, especially if they cannot speak English well.

Sometimes people who rides SBS for first time and does not know about new bus fare payment.

Farebox are usually covered up on Bx12, M15 and M34/M34A SBS. Sometimes some passenger pull out PAPER Transfer that covering up MetroCard dip. Some buses might not have covered up. If that was case, B/O quickly tries to cover up machine to tell passengers machine cannot be used.

All passengers and tourists on M15 SBS, M34 SBS, M34A SBS and Bx12 SBS are honor-system, so they need to get receipt from machine.

There are some kind bus operator.

I even learned from bus operator, even bus operators also required to have receipt when doing driver change or taking them to their depot.

I think that people most likely tourists because their guidebook does not educate about Select Bus Service (Bus Rapid Transit).

I remember one time during weekday, I was at 34th St/5th Av and there was two lady tries to get on M34/M34A SBS, but they couldn't speak English and I ask them if they're Japanese and they said yes. I had to tell and show them this 34th St bus is special, so they need to use machine and get a receipt.

Even thought bus operator tells them "YOU NEED TO GET A TICKET.", however some people think B/Os talking about MetroCard".

I specifically saw them board the bus, dip their card, hear that familiar "beep," and then walk to the back of the bus. This happened with almost every passenger boarding west of 7th Ave.

Well the driver probably let them go because they were confused. Honestly, how dumb do you have to be not to see the branded machines?

So my guess is he knew it was a light travel day and there probably wouldn't be any fare inspectors (I don't think there ever are on weekends) so he just left the Metrocard machine uncovered. Glad to hear this isn't the new official policy.

Select Bus Service Machine looks like MetroCard Vending Machine and Coin Fare Collector Machine look like old Parking Meters, so some people don't understand them.

Some tourist think SBS MetroCard Machine is MetroCard Vending Machine.

It stills happens on M15 SBS.

lol... And what's the deal with B/Os taking those receipts? The last few weekends I've gotten a ticket for the M15SBS but a local shows up so I get on and hand the B/O the ticket, but they act like they don't want to take it. Maybe they're blinded by the shields or something but I noticed both B/Os were slow to take the ticket.

lol... And what's the deal with B/Os taking those receipts? The last few weekends I've gotten a ticket for the M15SBS but a local shows up so I get on and hand the B/O the ticket, but they act like they don't want to take it. Maybe they're blinded by the shields or something but I noticed both B/Os were slow to take the ticket.

Well the POP is suppose to be used only for the SBS, not the Local. I do admit it would be nice if we could use these instead on the Local (Bx12/M15, routes with SBS))... IF you already bought the ticket, and you changed your mind and want to use the LCL instead. But knowing the (MTA), they'd want you to pay extra...

Well the POP is suppose to be used only for the SBS, not the Local. I do admit it would be nice if we could use these instead on the Local (Bx12/M15, routes with SBS))... IF you already bought the ticket, and you changed your mind and want to use the LCL instead. But knowing the (MTA), they'd want you to pay extra...

Yeah but my understanding was that you're supposed to be able to give them your transfer if you see a local coming and you already got your receipt for the SBS. Quite frankly I would have no problem dipping since I have an Unlimited but I do it that way because that's what I heard you're supposed to do. Another thing that is interesting is how slow the locals are. It's almost like they're slow on purpose to get folks to use the SBS service. The only reason I use the local sometimes is because I'm not going that far but otherwise, I'd just wait for a SBS to show up.

Yeah but my understanding was that you're supposed to be able to give them your transfer if you see a local coming and you already got your receipt for the SBS. Quite frankly I would have no problem dipping since I have an Unlimited but I do it that way because that's what I heard you're supposed to do. Another thing that is interesting is how slow the locals are. It's almost like they're slow on purpose to get folks to use the SBS service. The only reason I use the local sometimes is because I'm not going that far but otherwise, I'd just wait for a SBS to show up.

The SBS may be faster then the Local, but surely I've been leaning more to the Local. Crowd is still an issue the SBS, even WITH arctics on them. The Local is emptier to average at times. Just like the Limited vs Local.

I don't know what the official policy is, but whenever I've transferred from the M15SBS to the local I just walk in the front with the ticket in my hand and go take a seat. I've never given the driver the ticket nor has any driver ever stopped me to even take a look at the ticket.

I don't know what the official policy is, but whenever I've transferred from the M15SBS to the local I just walk in the front with the ticket in my hand and go take a seat. I've never given the driver the ticket nor has any driver ever stopped me to even take a look at the ticket.

like! Agreed

Interesting... I guess I should do that then. Those drivers seem like they wouldn't even stop me anyway to ask.

You are able to however.

I'm not advocating anything, but I would just step on regardless. If I have proof of payment I'm not farebeating.

I specifically saw them board the bus, dip their card, hear that familiar "beep," and then walk to the back of the bus. This happened with almost every passenger boarding west of 7th Ave.

The ticket vending machines may have been out of service. As far as I know, only the S79SBS has onboard payment, and I have never seen that before on any other route.

All we're going to do is throw it out lmao. When I did the Bx12 over the summer people would hand me the receipt all the time and I'd tell them, "It's okay, hold on to that" lol. It's funny because during the summer pick the Bx12 local actually gets a whole lot more service than the SBS I think from 11am - 12noon the headway was like 3-4mins with artics!

All we're going to do is throw it out lmao. When I did the Bx12 over the summer people would hand me the receipt all the time and I'd tell them, "It's okay, hold on to that" lol. It's funny because during the summer pick the Bx12 local actually gets a whole lot more service than the SBS I think from 11am - 12noon the headway was like 3-4mins with artics!

lol... Well that settles it then. I'll just hold on to it. As for the service, that's pretty crazy.

Archived