Metro-North Fall 2012/Winter 2013 Schedule Changes

Shortline Bus

"Our Sunday, October 14 schedule change sees us enact the first round of the most ambitious (and largest) service improvements in our history.

These include improvements proposed as part of the MTA’s 2012 service investments, as well as ongoing planned service improvements that will expand our service by more than 5%.

This schedule change adds 69 trains per week to our East of Hudson service. That includes 15 additional weekday and 30 additional weekend trains on the New Haven Line (added with our service partner, the Connecticut Department of Transportation), and 24 additional weekend trains on the Harlem Line.

These changes will result in:

•Increased train frequency during the off-peak and on weekends, resulting in the implementation of half-hourly service at a majority of our stations, and 20-minute service at major stations—White Plains and Stamford.

•Faster travel times.

•Improved comfort by adding cars—and seats—on weekends.

Following are the details by line:

On The Hudson Line

Look for minor adjustments to weekend service:

•The 8:55 PM train from Grand Central to Poughkeepsie will depart five minutes earlier (at 8:50 PM), putting it “in sync” with the schedule pattern of earlier weekend trains (departing at 6:50 PM, 7:50 PM, etc.).

(We will be bringing more service to the Hudson Line with our second round of service improvements this spring, so keep checking future issues of Mileposts for details.)

On The Harlem Line

New half-hourly service will be offered on weekends between Southeast or Mount Kisco and Grand Central. These new trains provide half-hourly service to our busiest upper Harlem Line stations, and, for the first time, will provide weekend express service to Hartsdale and Scarsdale stations.

•Three new inbound trains will depart Mount Kisco at 4:03 PM, 5:03 PM and 6:03 PM, making all stops (except Mount Pleasant and Valhalla) through Scarsdale, and then operating express to Harlem-125th Street and Grand Central.

•One new inbound train departs Southeast at 6:39 PM, making all stops (except Croton Falls, Purdy’s, Mount Pleasant and Valhalla) through Scarsdale, and then operating express to Harlem-125th Street and Grand Central.

•Two new outbound trains to Mount Kisco depart Grand Central at 2:23 PM and 3:23 PM, making most stops between Scarsdale and Mount Kisco.

•The 7:23 PM Saturday-only train from Grand Central to Southeast will now operate on Saturdays and Sundays.

•On Saturdays, half-hourly service between Grand Central and North White Plains is extended by two hours in the evening to accommodate our growing ridership.

•Inbound half-hourly service will now operate on the lower Harlem Line from 5 AM through 9 PM, while outbound half-hourly service will operate from 6:30 AM through 9:30 PM. New local trains depart North White Plains at 7:33 PM and 8:33 PM, making all stops to Mount Vernon West, then Fordham, Harlem-125th Street and Grand Central.

•Outbound, new local trains will depart Grand Central at 7:55 PM and 8:55 PM, stopping at Fordham and Mount Vernon West, before making all stops to North White Plains.

•On Sundays, half-hourly service will be provided between Grand Central and North White Plains, from 11 AM until 5 PM inbound, and from 12:30 PM until 6:30 PM outbound. (Previously, we have offered only hourly local service on Sundays.)

•The 11:26 PM train from Grand Central to Southeast will now operate on Saturdays only. On Sundays, alternative trains operating 40 minutes earlier and later will accommodate existing ridership.

•On weekdays, we will now provide half-hourly, off-peak service at most Bronx stations, with six inbound (from White Plains) and seven outbound (to White Plains) local trains making additional stops at Botanical Garden, Williams Bridge, Woodlawn and Wakefield stations. To accommodate these additional stops, look for adjustments in most local off-peak weekday and weekend trains.

On The New Haven Line

Look for the following weekday/weekend changes to your schedule.

In the AM Peak:

•On the Danbury Branch, the 6:51 AM train from Danbury will no longer stop at Rowayton, Darien or Noroton Heights. This will result in a 10-minute faster ride for those of you commuting from the Danbury Branch and relieve crowding on this train. A new train will depart South Norwalk at 7:50 AM, stopping at Rowayton, Darien, Noroton Heights and Stamford, and then operate as an express to Harlem-125th Street and Grand Central Terminal. This addition closes a 25-minute gap in express service at Stamford!

•The 8:29 AM train from Harrison to Grand Central will originate at Stamford and make all local stops to New York, providing a new one-seat ride for intermediate customers. (If you currently ride the 8:29 AM from Harrison, your commute will not be affected, as the train will continue to make the same stops.)

•The 8:12 AM train from Port Chester to Grand Central will originate at Stamford and make all local stops through Port Chester, before continuing on its current schedule. This change closes a 28-minute gap in service!

In the PM Peak:

•The 4:26 PM train to Harrison will depart one minute later, at 4:27 PM, and continue to Stamford, providing intermediate customers with a new one-seat ride!

•The 4:40 PM to New Haven will no longer stop at Greenwich. If you are traveling to Greenwich, take the 4:34 PM or 4:43 PM trains from Grand Central instead. (If you took this train from Greenwich for stations between Noroton Heights and Fairfield Metro, your train will now depart five minutes earlier and you will need to change trains at Stamford.)

In the AM Reverse Peak:

•A new AM Reverse Peak train departs Grand Central at 6:26 AM, stopping at Harlem-125th Street, Fordham, Mount Vernon East, New Rochelle, Rye, Port Chester, Greenwich and Stamford. This train provides a new semi-express option for those of you traveling to jobs in lower Westchester, Greenwich and Stamford.

•A new AM Reverse Peak train departs Grand Central at 8:07 AM, making stops at Harlem-125th Street, Fordham, Rye, Port Chester, Greenwich, Stamford, and all stops on the New Canaan Branch.

•The 8:07 AM New Haven train now departs at 8:04 AM and will no longer stop at Fordham, Rye, Port Chester, and Greenwich, providing those of you traveling to Stamford with a five-minute faster ride.

In the Off Peak:

•The 9:35 AM train from Bridgeport to Grand Central will operate 16 minutes earlier, reducing a 60-minute gap in service!"

http://www.mta.info/...s.htm?story=767

"Our Sunday, October 14 schedule change sees us enact the first round of the most ambitious (and largest) service improvements in our history.

These include improvements proposed as part of the MTA’s 2012 service investments, as well as ongoing planned service improvements that will expand our service by more than 5%.

This schedule change adds 69 trains per week to our East of Hudson service. That includes 15 additional weekday and 30 additional weekend trains on the New Haven Line (added with our service partner, the Connecticut Department of Transportation), and 24 additional weekend trains on the Harlem Line.

These changes will result in:

•Increased train frequency during the off-peak and on weekends, resulting in the implementation of half-hourly service at a majority of our stations, and 20-minute service at major stations—White Plains and Stamford.

•Faster travel times.

•Improved comfort by adding cars—and seats—on weekends.

Following are the details by line:

On The Hudson Line

Look for minor adjustments to weekend service:

•The 8:55 PM train from Grand Central to Poughkeepsie will depart five minutes earlier (at 8:50 PM), putting it “in sync” with the schedule pattern of earlier weekend trains (departing at 6:50 PM, 7:50 PM, etc.).

(We will be bringing more service to the Hudson Line with our second round of service improvements this spring, so keep checking future issues of Mileposts for details.)

On The Harlem Line

New half-hourly service will be offered on weekends between Southeast or Mount Kisco and Grand Central. These new trains provide half-hourly service to our busiest upper Harlem Line stations, and, for the first time, will provide weekend express service to Hartsdale and Scarsdale stations.

•Three new inbound trains will depart Mount Kisco at 4:03 PM, 5:03 PM and 6:03 PM, making all stops (except Mount Pleasant and Valhalla) through Scarsdale, and then operating express to Harlem-125th Street and Grand Central.

•One new inbound train departs Southeast at 6:39 PM, making all stops (except Croton Falls, Purdy’s, Mount Pleasant and Valhalla) through Scarsdale, and then operating express to Harlem-125th Street and Grand Central.

•Two new outbound trains to Mount Kisco depart Grand Central at 2:23 PM and 3:23 PM, making most stops between Scarsdale and Mount Kisco.

•The 7:23 PM Saturday-only train from Grand Central to Southeast will now operate on Saturdays and Sundays.

•On Saturdays, half-hourly service between Grand Central and North White Plains is extended by two hours in the evening to accommodate our growing ridership.

•Inbound half-hourly service will now operate on the lower Harlem Line from 5 AM through 9 PM, while outbound half-hourly service will operate from 6:30 AM through 9:30 PM. New local trains depart North White Plains at 7:33 PM and 8:33 PM, making all stops to Mount Vernon West, then Fordham, Harlem-125th Street and Grand Central.

•Outbound, new local trains will depart Grand Central at 7:55 PM and 8:55 PM, stopping at Fordham and Mount Vernon West, before making all stops to North White Plains.

•On Sundays, half-hourly service will be provided between Grand Central and North White Plains, from 11 AM until 5 PM inbound, and from 12:30 PM until 6:30 PM outbound. (Previously, we have offered only hourly local service on Sundays.)

•The 11:26 PM train from Grand Central to Southeast will now operate on Saturdays only. On Sundays, alternative trains operating 40 minutes earlier and later will accommodate existing ridership.

•On weekdays, we will now provide half-hourly, off-peak service at most Bronx stations, with six inbound (from White Plains) and seven outbound (to White Plains) local trains making additional stops at Botanical Garden, Williams Bridge, Woodlawn and Wakefield stations. To accommodate these additional stops, look for adjustments in most local off-peak weekday and weekend trains.

On The New Haven Line

Look for the following weekday/weekend changes to your schedule.

In the AM Peak:

•On the Danbury Branch, the 6:51 AM train from Danbury will no longer stop at Rowayton, Darien or Noroton Heights. This will result in a 10-minute faster ride for those of you commuting from the Danbury Branch and relieve crowding on this train. A new train will depart South Norwalk at 7:50 AM, stopping at Rowayton, Darien, Noroton Heights and Stamford, and then operate as an express to Harlem-125th Street and Grand Central Terminal. This addition closes a 25-minute gap in express service at Stamford!

•The 8:29 AM train from Harrison to Grand Central will originate at Stamford and make all local stops to New York, providing a new one-seat ride for intermediate customers. (If you currently ride the 8:29 AM from Harrison, your commute will not be affected, as the train will continue to make the same stops.)

•The 8:12 AM train from Port Chester to Grand Central will originate at Stamford and make all local stops through Port Chester, before continuing on its current schedule. This change closes a 28-minute gap in service!

In the PM Peak:

•The 4:26 PM train to Harrison will depart one minute later, at 4:27 PM, and continue to Stamford, providing intermediate customers with a new one-seat ride!

•The 4:40 PM to New Haven will no longer stop at Greenwich. If you are traveling to Greenwich, take the 4:34 PM or 4:43 PM trains from Grand Central instead. (If you took this train from Greenwich for stations between Noroton Heights and Fairfield Metro, your train will now depart five minutes earlier and you will need to change trains at Stamford.)

In the AM Reverse Peak:

•A new AM Reverse Peak train departs Grand Central at 6:26 AM, stopping at Harlem-125th Street, Fordham, Mount Vernon East, New Rochelle, Rye, Port Chester, Greenwich and Stamford. This train provides a new semi-express option for those of you traveling to jobs in lower Westchester, Greenwich and Stamford.

•A new AM Reverse Peak train departs Grand Central at 8:07 AM, making stops at Harlem-125th Street, Fordham, Rye, Port Chester, Greenwich, Stamford, and all stops on the New Canaan Branch.

•The 8:07 AM New Haven train now departs at 8:04 AM and will no longer stop at Fordham, Rye, Port Chester, and Greenwich, providing those of you traveling to Stamford with a five-minute faster ride.

In the Off Peak:

•The 9:35 AM train from Bridgeport to Grand Central will operate 16 minutes earlier, reducing a 60-minute gap in service!"

http://www.mta.info/...s.htm?story=767

I observed ridership on the NH line it needs this enhancement badly especially on other lines however I am shocked upper harlem line saw a ridership boost as those places are deserted where are the people coming from??

Off-peak service, but what about during rush hour? They could use another train here or there on some lines with the amount of standees packed in now. It's more like a subway than a commuter train and I'm not sure which is worse MetroNorth or the LIRR...

In the next schedule change for Spring(April 2013) VG8, for instance on the Lower Hudson line for Lower Westchester/North Bronx (including Riverdale) riders there will now 30-minute service most of the time at key stations between Croton Harmon and Marble Hill, 7 days a week until at least 9pm.

And QJ i dont ride the Harlem line that much. However the bulk of the ridership, is between Brewster and Fordham. They also in next schedule change in the Spring that will now also have 30-minute or less service between White Plains and GCT almost the entire day.

In the next schedule change for Spring(April 2013) VG8, for instance on the Lower Hudson line for Lower Westchester/Bronx there will now 30-minute service most of the time at key stations between Croton Harmon and Marble Hill, 7 days a week until at least 9pm.

Yeah, that's nice and all, but the rush hour trains are becoming sardine cans. BTW I thought the 30 minute improvements were coming sooner than April 2013...

Yeah, that's nice and all, but the rush hour trains are becoming sardine cans. BTW I thought the 30 minute improvements were coming sooner than April 2013...

I agree it should been now. They placing the 30-minute headways(almost all times non-rush hours)first on the busy New Haven line.

IMO this is another example of both Metro North and LIRR execs underestimating riders from the Bronx and Queens going to Manhattan, who use it all hours of the day and night.

I agree it should been now. They placing the 30-minute headways(almost all times non-rush hours)first on the busy New Haven line.

IMO this is another example of both Metro North and LIRR execs underestimating riders from the Bronx and Queens going to Manhattan, who use it all hours of the day and night.

Hell... The MetroNorth trains are SRO before they even reach the Riverdale station...

err you underestimate ridership on the upper NH and hudson lines NH needs the boost first.

I am shocked upper harlem line saw a ridership boost as those places are deserted where are the people coming from??

When I saw a map I was wondering the same thing...I wonder why they electrified up there (upper Harlem defined as north of Mount Kisco, not north of NWP)

When I saw a map I was wondering the same thing...I wonder why they electrified up there (upper Harlem defined as north of Mount Kisco, not north of NWP)

Yup. The Hudson Line (my current "home" line) needed to be electrified years ago. Too bad the NIMBY's in Mid Hudson Valley blocked it. Thus you could have ran those great M-7's cars and have 30-minute headways from Poughkeepsie-GCT most of the day.

Yup. The Hudson Line (my current "home" line) needed to be electrified years ago. Too bad the NIMBY's in Mid Hudson Valley blocked it. Thus you could have ran those great M-7's cars and have 30-minute headways from Poughkeepsie-GCT most of the day.

All I know is the Hudson Line needs more service. The trains are like friggin' subways during the rush hour. People standing all over the place. I saw the new schedule and there are no service improvements in store until maybe 2013 at the earliest. Do you always get a seat when you take MetroNorth?

All I know is the Hudson Line needs more service. The trains are like friggin' subways during the rush hour. People standing all over the place. I saw the new schedule and there are no service improvements in store until maybe 2013 at the earliest. Do you always get a seat when you take MetroNorth?

If boarding in Poughkeepsie or New Hamburg yes 100% of the time. Problem is VG8 you boarding in Riverdale. That my point for need for more Lower Westchester/Bronx service on Hudson Line.

However going back North, boarding at GCT at last minutes during rush hours and say Knick/Ranger games at MSG i have to stand on occasion. Preaching to choirs here.

Most of the crowding is from south of croton harmon. So yeah especially with local passengers it gets crushed. However the upper part has much lower ridership yes it is high but not like friggin subways if you want that use the NH line at rush hour or friday night then we shall talk. If you want CRUSHED I DARE U TO STEP ONTO THE NH LINE. A.K.A (4) CT's version of the lexington line.

VG8. In next service changes(March/April '13), the Hudson Line will get the bulk of next upgrades including 30-minute or less service at major Bronx/Lower Westchester stations(sorry Riverdale is not an "express" stop)most of the day 7 days a week.

VG8. In next service changes(March/April '13), the Hudson Line will get the bulk of next upgrades including 30-minute or less service at major Bronx/Lower Westchester stations(sorry Riverdale is not an "express" stop)most of the day 7 days a week.

Oh that doesn't matter to me. I use MetroNorth all over the place. My location says "Europa/USA" for a reason... My comment was just based on basic observation. In any event it will mean some open seats for folks below and in Southern Westchester.

I do agree with and support electrification to Poughkeepsie...its a bit long and will cut the max speed from 90 to 80, but it shouldn't make such a big difference.

I do agree with and support electrification to Poughkeepsie...its a bit long and will cut the max speed from 90 to 80, but it shouldn't make such a big difference.

Yes it would cut the MAS from 90 down but as you said it would not make a difference. There's only one part of the Hudson Line that the MAS is 90 and that's from MP 53.1(south of Breakneck Ridge) to Division Post (north of Poughkeepsie Station). Once you factor in all the speed restrictions on that section of territory, combined with the scheduled station stops, the chances of hitting 90 are slim with the exception of about a 6 mile section (New Hamburg Station to CP 72.

I've been on trains that lost dynamic brakes in the Bronx and made it to Poughkeepsie no more than 5 minutes of the scheduled arrival time. WIth a dynamic brake failure the trains can not be operated above 60 MPH.

Shortline since you're from the area:

There used to be talk of extending Hudson Line service to Tivoli. Which do you think is more important/necessary, electrification or extension?

No doubt electrification is more needed now between Croton-Harmon and Poughkeepsie. However the earliest (Plus most riders living in Upper Dutches and Upper Ulster Counties via Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge)have cars anyway. The current disel fleet is at max usage as well.

Sometimes GCT-Bound Upper Hudson Line trains in the morning rush and also during Yankee games, its SRO Crowding by time it arrives at Croton. Thus reason in next schedule change of March/April, almost all Upper Hudson trains will run "express" between 6am-Midnight 7 days a week from GCT-Croton-Harmon.

No doubt electrification is more needed now between Croton-Harmon and Poughkeepsie. However the earliest Plus most riders living in Upper Dutches and Upper Ulster Counties via Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge)have cars anyway. The current disel fleet is at max usage as well.

Sometimes GCT-Bound Upper Hudson Line trains in the morning rush and also during Yankee games, its SRO Crowding by time it arrives at Croton. Thus reason in next schedule change of March/April, almost all Upper Hudson trains will run "express" between 6am-Midnight 7 days a week from GCT-Croton-Harmon.

finally!!!

In exchange for better service they may be willing to bite the bullet it is a nessesary trade off. You have no idea how slowte last trains are so painfully slow.

I know exactly how slow the last trains are... been there done that, got the t shirt. To have to get on @ GCT, take a full local to Harmon, transfer then continue to Poughkeepsie (or vice versa). Not fun! Especially having to listen to "ding dong, this is the train to Croton Harmon, the next station is..." the whole way to Harmon!

Archived