Some opinions needed on doors

B3 Via Av U

Do you guys think that door sensors should be mounted on the doors of subway trains? These sensors could be similar to the ones that can be found on the average elevator door, where it will sense any obstruction in the path. With the additon of these, it can reduce the chance of being dragged by the train to your death. There can also be a light in the conductors cab alerting the conductor if the sensor has been tripped. R160s already have a form of these, as the door will reopen if it is not able to fully close.

Also, do you also think that all trains should have the door close tone? The R42s don't have these, the doors close silently.

These additions may also benefit the blind, who can be easily trapped in closing subway doors.

Give me your opinons on this.

Well, one problem that might emerge from this would some form of abuse. If people want to get on, they might put themselves in the doors, or they might resort to placing items on the floor.

New idea: How about a "Force door close" button in the cab?

There's no point in giving the 32s/42s door chimes, considering how little time they have left on this earth.

As for the door sensors... I'm divided on the idea. Toronto's new trains (Toronto Rockets) have the door sensors, but they're ultra sensitive, causing the doors to recycle even if there is a gust of wind from passing trains, and if the doors are forced to recycle three times then the train has to be taken out of service and the door controls reset in the yard.

R142/R143s have some sort of sensor as well. When the door is pushed inside.

I'd rather just not bother. People have been told, NOT to run and catch the train nor hold the doors.... Yet people will do it, even with a sensor. If they get dragged.... Whos fault is it? The (MTA) or the passenger? As always... If you missed your train or bus, there will always be another one. Of course, if you DON'T want to miss it (especially if it could be the last route o of the night), be there on time, have a schedule on ya...

For the older cars getting them... Don't bother. They will be sent to train haven once the R179 eats em up....

They could add something like a bell near the cabs on the 32s. The motorman (engineer?, sorry got confused) can ring it before closing the doors. Just a small ring.

I know it sounds awkward but it's cheap and easy and it could work.

They could add something like a bell near the cabs on the 32s. The motorman (engineer?, sorry got confused) can ring it before closing the doors. Just a small ring.

I know it sounds awkward but it's cheap and easy and it could work.

The Train Conductor opens and closes the doors, while the Train Operator, well, operates the train. This is for the subway, while on the big railroads the conductor collects tickets and does a lot of other stuff, and the train engineer operates the train.

For the bell, well, there's already the door chime.

R142/R143s have some sort of sensor as well. When the door is pushed inside.

I'd rather just not bother. People have been told, NOT to run and catch the train nor hold the doors.... Yet people will do it, even with a sensor. If they get dragged.... Whos fault is it? The (MTA) or the passenger? As always... If you missed your train or bus, there will always be another one. Of course, if you DON'T want to miss it (especially if it could be the last route o of the night), be there on time, have a schedule on ya...

For the older cars getting them... Don't bother. They will be sent to train haven once the R179 eats em up....

What kind of stupid question is that. Obviously if someone gets dragged it's 100% the fault of the train crew for failing to check that the doors have properly closed.

Do you guys think that door sensors should be mounted on the doors of subway trains? These sensors could be similar to the ones that can be found on the average elevator door, where it will sense any obstruction in the path. With the additon of these, it can reduce the chance of being dragged by the train to your death. There can also be a light in the conductors cab alerting the conductor if the sensor has been tripped. R160s already have a form of these, as the door will reopen if it is not able to fully close.

Also, do you also think that all trains should have the door close tone? The R42s don't have these, the doors close silently.

These additions may also benefit the blind, who can be easily trapped in closing subway doors.

Give me your opinons on this.

No.

GOH did not include that much... They really didn't think the R32's would be running 20 years later. Actually, the (MTA) thought that R32's would be retired in 2000-2002.

I am aware of that, but the R44s were the first cars to introduce door chimes, so why couldn't the MTA install some on the pre-44 cars that were being GOH'ed?

I've been saying for years to go the complete opposite route. Put spikes in the doorways, so nobody's putting their hand in a closing door as they're running down the stairs with the doors closing. Like sharp deadly spikes...

LMFAO! No, too messy. Electrified wires would be better ;) You can adjust the charge for small to large range.

LMFAO! No, too messy. Electrified wires would be better ;) You can adjust the charge for small to large range.

I've been saying for years to go the complete opposite route. Put spikes in the doorways, so nobody's putting their hand in a closing door as they're running down the stairs with the doors closing. Like sharp deadly spikes...

You guys are joking I get it! ;)

I guess advertisements and reminders don't work.. because nobody but some people listens to it!

We can't keep idiot-proofing the system. All that does is create a "better" idiot. Every NTT has the "Stand Clear..." announcement, every car from the 46 upwards has chimes that indicate the doors are closing and every single car in revenue service has some kind of indicator that shows the conductor that the doors are closed or open. Sure, there are sometimes problems with any of the above signals on any train, but I don't think we should be spending money on a problem that's relatively nonexistent. Remind me again, how many cases have there been of people getting dragged by the doors? Not many, right?

That just reminded me: the only thing the addition of door sensors would do is the same thing they do on the buses, annoy the hell out of people with stupid reminders to step away from the doors.

Archived