MTA's four fare-hike options all hit riders hard

Harry

[float=left]post-5097-0-28090200-1349785244_thumb.jpg[/float]Bus and subway riders would pay as much as $125 for a monthly MetroCard — a $21 increase — under one of four fare-hike schemes the (MTA) is mulling, the Daily News has learned.

This proposal would increase the price of an unlimited-ride weekly MetroCard to $34 — a $5 boost — and reduce the Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard bonus, sources said. But it would leave the base subway and bus fare unchanged at $2.25, sources said.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-28090200-1349785244_thumb.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[float=left]post-5097-0-28090200-1349785244_thumb.jpg[/float]Bus and subway riders would pay as much as $125 for a monthly MetroCard — a $21 increase — under one of four fare-hike schemes the (MTA) is mulling, the Daily News has learned.

This proposal would increase the price of an unlimited-ride weekly MetroCard to $34 — a $5 boost — and reduce the Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard bonus, sources said. But it would leave the base subway and bus fare unchanged at $2.25, sources said.

Read more: Source

Hell NO, they need to rasie the Base Fare and up the Monthly cards to $109 dollars, come on, the (MTA) needs to just stop already

I agree... Raise the base fare and stop hiking the Unlimited cards already. You don't encourage folks to use transit by punishing them for buying weekly or monthly passes.

Exactly My Point, i don't get why they want to hurt the ones who use the unlimiteds on a daly basis

Exactly My Point, i don't get why they want to hurt the ones who use the unlimiteds on a daly basis

I don't either. They know damn well that a lot of New Yorkers rely on Unlimited cards yet they keep jacking the fares up on them. You have all of these tourists coming here who can easily afford the $2.50 fare. Let them pay it. They still get an amazing deal considering that the ones from Europe are getting everything here dirt cheap with the exchange rate. Meanwhile they're raping New Yorkers who buy unlimited cards. It's ridiculous. It's not even about whether or not we can afford it but more about at some point it may just be more economical to drive your car in some cases than to use public transit. People are sacrificing comfort to take public transit and if you keep jacking up the price, at some point you reach the breaking point.

The other thing they have failed miserably at is enforcing the fare. I mean really, you're going to keep raising the fare on folks while others continue to get free rides and I predict that you will see more and more people beat the fare either because they are sick of seeing others not pay while they pay more or because they can't afford it which will just trigger more fare increases. Raise the fare but show what you're doing to justify the raises and the biggest one they continue to let go of is the farebeaters!

I don't either. They know damn well that a lot of New Yorkers rely on Unlimited cards yet they keep jacking the fares up on them. You have all of these tourists coming here who can easily afford the $2.50 fare. Let them pay it. They still get an amazing deal considering that the ones from Europe are getting everything here dirt cheap with the exchange rate. Meanwhile they're raping New Yorkers who buy unlimited cards. It's ridiculous. It's not even about whether or not we can afford it but more about at some point it may just be more economical to drive your car in some cases than to use public transit. People are sacrificing comfort to take public transit and if you keep jacking up the price, at some point you reach the breaking point.

The other thing they have failed miserably at is enforcing the fare. I mean really, you're going to keep raising the fare on folks while others continue to get free rides and I predict that you will see more and more people beat the fare either because they are sick of seeing others not pay while they pay more or because they can't afford it which will just trigger more fare increases. Raise the fare but show what you're doing to justify the raises and the biggest one they continue to let go of is the farebeaters!

Exactly, someone needs to step up already, this shit is getting out of control

Is this set in stone already or is this a proposal? If its a proposal, they need to off that guy who's advocating for this. They should raise the base fare like what others have said to 2.50, get rid of the bonuses, or/and enact that fee for a new card. 125 for a monthly is BS.

Why no mention of hikes to express bus fares and/or the express bus plus weekly unlimited? Something stinks...

My view: Raise the base fare to $2.50 and reduce the discount to 5%; of course, if the base local fare rises, the express bus fares must rise also. I say any hikes to the monthlies should be minimal at best; at $119 or $125 the card is hardly worth it IMHO.

Why no mention of hikes to express bus fares and/or the express bus plus weekly unlimited? Something stinks...

My view: Raise the base fare to $2.50 and reduce the discount to 5%; of course, if the base local fare rises, the express bus fares must rise also. I say any hikes to the monthlies should be minimal at best; at $119 or $125 the card is hardly worth it IMHO.

The express bus fares may stay flat, but I'm sure the Unlimited Express Bus Plus weekly card will be raised. It has been raised twice since I started using it back in 2006 from $41 to $45 and from $45 to $50. You don't hear about it because for the most part express bus riders tend to be a bit more affluent and our size overall is far smaller in comparison to the number of subway and local bus riders, so there isn't as much screaming, though folks do certainly complain.

The same thing goes with MetroNorth & LIRR riders. Our increases are far more substantial as well. If you look at the Unlimited Express Bus Plus card for example I was paying $164 - 205 a month depending on how many weeks there are in the month. Now I pay $200 - 250 a month.

I could also see MetroNorth and LIRR fares going up too which I think are already high for what you get.

What I will say though is that the suburban communities feel as if they are raped by the (MTA) and pay too much unfairly because they don't have subway lines and rely on their express buses or MetroNorth or the LIRR.

I looked at some of the fares that MetroNorth charges for parts of Westchester and they are almost $400 in some cases for a monthly pass when you factor in that, plus a monthly Metrocard as well, almost 4 times what someone in the city pays for a monthly pass, so I know that it is a commuter train, but still. The folks in suburbs pay a lot for their transportation as well.

I wonder if the express bus fare will go up.

In any case, like I said, I've always advocated for a peak/off-peak pricing for the express buses. Make the peak fare 2.5 times the local fare, and the off-peak fare twice the local fare.

There are a couple of different websites that break down the amount of swipes using each type of MetroCard. There was one where it mentioned the actual percentage of riders who use the different cards, but I can't find it. (Riders and swipes are not the same thing, because unlimited riders tend to swipe more for obvious reasons).

In any case:

http://www.nysubway.com/metrocards/index.html

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2010/08/24/the-fear-of-a-130-unlimited-metrocard/http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/documents/MTAFARES1108/#v=showTotalChange&s=STILLWELL%2520AVE-CONEY%2520ISLAND

In any case, I obviously don't like the idea of a fare hike, but it's a necessary evil. I think the express bus fares should be $6.25 peak, $5 off-peak, and the local fare should be $2.50. There should be some type of bonus on the MetroCard to encourage people not to purchase single rides. (Either that, or maybe a $0.25 surcharge for subway riders the way it is now)

The express bus fares may stay flat, but I'm sure the Unlimited Express Bus Plus weekly card will be raised. It has been raised twice since I started using it back in 2006 from $41 to $45 and from $45 to $50. You don't hear about it because for the most part express bus riders tend to be a bit more affluent and our size overall is far smaller in comparison to the number of subway and local bus riders, so there isn't as much screaming, though folks do certainly complain.

Yeah, and guess what? The base fare was raised too. The first time, it was raised from $5 to $5.50 (which is a 10% increase vs. a 9.8% increase for unlimited riders, so they actually got off a little easier). In fact, the bonus was reduced from 20% to 15%, so PPR riders actually saw a 14.8% increase if they had a bonus.

The second time, it was raised from $45 to $50 (11% increase), while the fare with a bonus was increased by 7.5%. So basically, it's just evening it out. The only ones who really got ahead were the ones who pay for each ride individually.

In other words, stop acting like you were hit so much harder than everybody else, because you weren't.

I looked at some of the fares that MetroNorth charges for parts of Westchester and they are almost $400 in some cases for a monthly pass when you factor in that, plus a monthly Metrocard as well, almost 4 times what someone in the city pays for a monthly pass, so I know that it is a commuter train, but still. The folks in suburbs pay a lot for their transportation as well.

A ride from all the way up in Poughkeepsie or Wassaic to Manhattan is a lot more expensive for the MTA to provide than a ride from The Bronx.or SI to Manhattan.

Yeah, and guess what? The base fare was raised too. The first time, it was raised from $5 to $5.50 (which is a 10% increase vs. a 9.8% increase for unlimited riders, so they actually got off a little easier). In fact, the bonus was reduced from 20% to 15%, so PPR riders actually saw a 14.8% increase if they had a bonus.

This post was so unnecessary and rude. I know what was raised and it would be nice for once for you to stop trying to correct people and let them express themselves how they choose to. If I choose to exclude something from my post, let it be. You do the same thing with other people and it is so unnecessary. I chose not to mention it since the previous increase we had only involved the Unlimited Express Bus cards. I unlike you was interested in answering the original posters' question.

In other words, stop acting like you were hit so much harder than everybody else, because you weren't.

Again, completely unnecessary.

A ride from all the way up in Poughkeepsie or Wassaic to Manhattan is a lot more expensive for the MTA to provide than a ride from The Bronx.or SI to Manhattan.

Yes, this is obvious. That doesn't mean that folks who live there think they should be paying what they do a month. That's the point.

This post was so unnecessary and rude. I know what was raised and it would be nice for once for you to stop trying to correct people and let them express themselves how they choose to. If I choose to exclude something from my post, let it be. You do the same thing with other people and it is so unnecessary. I chose not to mention it since the previous increase we had only involved the Unlimited Express Bus cards.

No it didn't only involve unlimited cards. It involved reducing the bonus, which affects pay-per-ride users as well.

So now it's rude to point out numbers? :rolleyes: Excluding that changes your whole argument.

No it didn't only involve unlimited cards. It involved reducing the bonus, which affects pay-per-ride users as well.

So now it's rude to point out numbers? :rolleyes: Excluding that changes your whole argument.

The bonus affected everyone who had a pay-per-ride, so again I see no point in stating the obvious. He asked specifically about express bus riders. There's a difference between attacking people/being aggressive and pointing out things, which you don't seem to know how to do. If you were just pointing out numbers you wouldn't have talked about how I was insinuating that I was hit so hard. I didn't mention anything about the express bus increases until the question was asked so really, give it a rest already. You know exactly what you're doing.

125 for an unlimited is something else.....

Wasn't it 76 not too long ago?

It would be interesting to see how this stacks up against inflation over the same period of time.

Lots of poor and working poor use pay per ride....they can't pony 125 up front.

Can't they find the money elsewhere?

Complete utter bull.

IIRC it's contract time again in NYCTland. That means it's time for the MTA, the PR flacks, and local media to roll the Doomsday," we're broke", overpaid workers, spin machine again. If my memory isn't failing me I believe the MTA promised fare hikes every two years for the foreseeable future a while back but they never gave a specific amount. Couple that promise with the assault on the MTA's payroll tax scheme and this is what you end up with. Get the public riled up against the spectre of astronomical fare increases to the point where everyone is satisfied when the fare "only" raised a lesser amount. I'll let my fellow posters take it from here. I've seen this show too many times to get worked up any more. It's like that bad movie or infomercial that's always on late night when you're tying to find something to watch on late night TV. Carry on.

The same thing goes with MetroNorth & LIRR riders. Our increases are far more substantial as well. If you look at the Unlimited Express Bus Plus card for example I was paying $164 - 205 a month depending on how many weeks there are in the month. Now I pay $200 - 250 a month.

I could also see MetroNorth and LIRR fares going up too which I think are already high for what you get.

What I will say though is that the suburban communities feel as if they are raped by the (MTA) and pay too much unfairly because they don't have subway lines and rely on their express buses or MetroNorth or the LIRR.

Regarding the cost of MNR/LIRR monthlies: those prices may be up there, but it also costs much more to provide those services than subway/bus services. Also, the commuter monthlies pay for themselves with far fewer trips than the current subway monthly; examining the MNR fare table, for example, the monthlies save money with 28-31 trips - but the 30-day MetroCard requires 47 trips to yield a savings. A $125 30-day fare means you'd need 50 trips to achieve savings over a PPR! Yes, the suburbanites are paying a lot more in raw numbers, but they're still getting a better deal than city cats, proportionally speaking.

As for the express buses, I'm certain that an increase in the local base fare also means an increase in the express base fare. I think it'll be at least $6.

Regarding the cost of MNR/LIRR monthlies: those prices may be up there, but it also costs much more to provide those services than subway/bus services. Also, the commuter monthlies pay for themselves with far fewer trips than the current subway monthly; examining the MNR fare table, for example, the monthlies save money with 28-31 trips - but the 30-day MetroCard requires 47 trips to yield a savings. A $125 30-day fare means you'd need 50 trips to achieve savings over a PPR! Yes, the suburbanites are paying a lot more in raw numbers, but they're still getting a better deal than city cats, proportionally speaking.

As for the express buses, I'm certain that an increase in the local base fare also means an increase in the express base fare. I think it'll be at least $6.

I think this will depend on which plan the (MTA) goes with. As for the MNRR/LIRR passes, true, but I think they should offer some sort of perk for buying say a 10 pack. I mean if the price is the same as a single ticket then there really isn't a real advantage. In other words you don't entice folks to use it more that may just use it on occasion.

They're going to shoot themselves in the foot if they raise the unlimited to $125. I know I'll use the subway a lot less and switch to a pay-per-ride. I'll either walk, bike, or combine trips so that the money I pay to the MTA will decrease from $104 monthly to about $70 - $80 monthly. I'll only take a trip when I absolutely need to.

Ya gotta love the hypocrisy.

There's a difference between attacking people/being aggressive and pointing out things, which you don't seem to know how to do.

You know exactly what you're doing.

In any case, you've mentioned it many times in the past how the unlimited riders have gotten hit harder, even though they haven't. You said the express bus fare should be raised to $7.50 while the unlimited pass gets a lower increase, just so you don't have to deal with "outsiders".

Archived