MTA's four fare-hike options all hit riders hard

Harry

As a side point I always thought the cutting out of station agents was a big factor in what we are seeing today as a result through higher incidences of crime. In my opinion maybe the inner city communities may need to advocate for the existence of more MTA personel at out of boro stations. Of course these are pipe dreams but I'm just saying.

All communities should be advocating for it, not just for crime, but for more eyes and ears. We're in different times now so we need eyes and ears everywhere.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's your opinion. Others think otherwise. These things go much further than calculating some numbers.

No, it's a fact based on simple calculations. The MTA figures out the cost it takes to run it and how much money they take in. The MTA has to have an idea of what those numbers will be like in order to run the service. There are probably some discrepancies, but the overall statement is true.

No, it's a fact based on simple calculations. The MTA figures out the cost it takes to run it and how much money they take in. The MTA has to have an idea of what those numbers will be like in order to run the service. There are probably some discrepancies, but the overall statement is true.

This is pointless to even discuss with you and I'm not saying that to be right or wrong. You are still a kid in many ways. When you get out and start working and become an adult maybe you'll understand but for now I don't it's worth even discussing these things with you because you don't get it and I am really tired of having to spell everything out. You have a very narrow way of looking at things that is not at all realistic with how things actually work in the real world and this is a good example of that. This is about far more than just "numbers".

This is pointless to even discuss with you and I'm not saying that to be right or wrong. You are still a kid in many ways. When you get out and start working and become an adult maybe you'll understand but for now I don't it's worth even discussing these things with you because you don't get it and I am really tired of having to spell everything out. You have a very narrow way of looking at things that is not at all realistic with how things actually work in the real world and this is a good example of that. This is about far more than just "numbers".

Good, then what was the point in making that post if "this is pointless to even discuss with you"? What the f**k does me "being a kid" have to do with anything? There are plenty of adults who have said the same thing. Are they somehow immature? As if you've never had to have stuff "spelled out" for you. <_< (P.S. Mature people don't go around calling people "cunts"). My opinion isn't any less valid by virtue of me being "a kid".

LOL... So which is it?? Is the fare hike not so bad or is it bad?? On the one hand you argue that the increase isn't that bad, but on the other hand you say that folks can't even afford a regular 7-day Unlimited card... :huh:

An optimist would say it's not that bad. It could be going up to $3 with a monthly going to $175. A pessimist would say it's bad because everything but the minimum wage goes up. As a realist, I say fare hikes are a part of life here in NYC. Either pay the fare, or the gas, insurance and get price of the car. And it's fact that folks can't even afford a 7-day. But what are we gonna do? Everyone in NYC can show up and speak against the fare hike at every public hearing and what will themta do? STILL raise the fare. Realism.

You shouldn't have to make 60 trips in order to break even. You should be able to break even at most after commuting to/from work for the month (so that would be around 40-44 trips per month). The PPR fare with a bonus right now is $2.10. The monthly pass should be no more than about $92 tops.

If you're not making at LEAST 50 trips per 30 days, you shouldn't be buying an unlimited. And you have to be realistic when crunching team numbers. The ppr bonus was a "gift" with the surplus we had years ago. It's not gonna be around long IMO. And if youbpay attention to people around you(who aren't die hards like us), most don't even realize the extra. It's why you find a lot of cards wih 19 cents, 64 cents. Most who swipe and get "insufficient fare" just go and add more trips without factoring in the leftover or bonus added. We've becomes spoiled with the ppr bonus. It's why the mta wants to cut it. the unlimited are the discount deal.

Raising the monthly to $125 is just so far out-there. Are they trying to kill ridership in the evenings and weekends? These are discretionary trips that riders may simply choose not to make - they will stay home, walk, or bike instead. NYC thought they had a brilliant idea by doubling the recreation center fees and they thought they'd get all this extra money. Little did they realize that people got disgusted and they got LESS money after the price hike. $125 is so crazy, it's not even funny. If ridership decilnes, more and more MTA personnel may find themselves out of a job. Don't think it won't happen - it happened with lots of token booth clerks. MTA workers should be fighting against the $125 fare hike since it will completely decimate the system.

Raising the monthly to $125 is just so far out-there. Are they trying to kill ridership in the evenings and weekends? These are discretionary trips that riders may simply choose not to make - they will stay home, walk, or bike instead. NYC thought they had a brilliant idea by doubling the recreation center fees and they thought they'd get all this extra money. Little did they realize that people got disgusted and they got LESS money after the price hike. $125 is so crazy, it's not even funny. If ridership decilnes, more and more MTA personnel may find themselves out of a job. Don't think it won't happen - it happened with lots of token booth clerks. MTA workers should be fighting against the $125 fare hike since it will completely decimate the system.

Superb point.

More fares to a certain point, less rides.

If the unlimited increases to $125, then it will have to be pay per ride.

It will no longer make sense for me to get an unlimited--I would actually be paying more for the unlimited for a couple POTENTIAL discretionary rides.

I personally don't find $125 for a monthly unlimited to be too much considering the cost of any alternatives. Carry on...

I'm just in the day and age now where if i can go without it I will. I don't need a 30 day card...and to be spending $125 on one when i can keep my costs low and still not really inconvenience myself, I've no reason not to. I don't have a TV. My internet is cheap...i have enough money to have my own apartment but i share with others just to keep my monthly rent around $600. The only thing I need to cut back on is my eating out. Yeah I have a Mac and an Iphone but they are two of the few luxuries i keep just cuz i feel I deserve a reward once in a while. I realize this isn't the case for many people but I tend not to feel sorry for those who call broke but they have shit in their apartment that probably cost more than what I spend to live.

I'm just in the day and age now where if i can go without it I will. I don't need a 30 day card...and to be spending $125 on one when i can keep my costs low and still not really inconvenience myself, I've no reason not to. I don't have a TV. My internet is cheap...i have enough money to have my own apartment but i share with others just to keep my monthly rent around $600. The only thing I need to cut back on is my eating out. Yeah I have a Mac and an Iphone but they are two of the few luxuries i keep just cuz i feel I deserve a reward once in a while. I realize this isn't the case for many people but I tend not to feel sorry for those who call broke but they have shit in their apartment that probably cost more than what I spend to live.

I personally think that $125.00 a month for an unlimited is indeed expensive. A monthly expense for the express bus and MetroNorth is sometimes around $250 - 300.00 a month, but those folks can afford it. You have folks out here that really can't afford it and I think what will happen is you will see more and more people farebeating on the local bus and subway in the poorer neighborhoods.

I personally think that $125.00 a month for an unlimited is indeed expensive. A monthly expense for the express bus and MetroNorth is sometimes around $250 - 300.00 a month, but those folks can afford it. You have folks out here that really can't afford it and I think what will happen is you will see more and more people farebeating on the local bus and subway in the poorer neighborhoods.

Oh trust me. I think the hike is absurd. But they been hiking the fare like every year for a while now so for me to every year come here and say how stupid it is, when there are plenty of people who are saying it for me and better than me...kinda redundant. Only a year or so ago I couldn't see past the end of the week in terms of how I'd live on my own. So I know the pain. I just cant get worked up over it anymore. We'll adapt somehow...not happily but we will. Everything has to come to a head eventually.

Oh trust me. I think the hike is absurd. But they been hiking the fare like every year for a while now so for me to every year come here and say how stupid it is, when there are plenty of people who are saying it for me and better than me...kinda redundant. Only a year or so ago I couldn't see past the end of the week in terms of how I'd live on my own. So I know the pain. I just cant get worked up over it anymore. We'll adapt somehow...not happily but we will. Everything has to come to a head eventually.

Yeah and that's what I'm concerned about. I seriously think these fare hikes are reaching a breaking point for the folks that are already struggling and unless steps are taken you're going to see more robberies on the buses and subways and more attacks on B/Os over the fare. IMO, the fare should be raised $.25 cents and the regular unlimited should be left alone, but from my understanding, MetroNorth & the LIRR will see hikes and probably express bus hikes too which will just lead to more fare hikes because you'll have those folks on the fence that can't afford it OR better yet they'll just take a car if they can for those who are more affluent and use MetroNorth, the LIRR or the express bus. If I was paying about $500.00 or so a month for transportation, I would probably reconsider my options at that point and just drive and I'm sure some folks will do just that with these new fare hikes.

Yeah and that's what I'm concerned about. I seriously think these fare hikes are reaching a breaking point for the folks that are already struggling and unless steps are taken you're going to see more robberies on the buses and subways and more attacks on B/Os over the fare. IMO, the fare should be raised $.25 cents and the regular unlimited should be left alone, but from my understanding, MetroNorth & the LIRR will see hikes and probably express bus hikes too which will just lead to more fare hikes because you'll have those folks on the fence that can't afford it OR better yet they'll just take a car. If I was paying about $500.00 or so a month for transportation, I would probably reconsider my options at that point and just drive and I'm sure some folks will do just that with these new fare hikes.

Whats funny is a car is counterproductive to both the driver and the city. Not everybody can afford the hybrids and electrical cars so they'll just go buy the cheapest thing on four wheels which probably will pump monoxide gas like the dickens, guzzle gas like nobody's business and we'd slowly find ourselves back to square one in terms of Go-Green and people would find themselves back to square 1 in terms of trying to find a cheaper alternative..

Whats funny is a car is counterproductive to both the driver and the city. Not everybody can afford the hybrids and electrical cars so they'll just go buy the cheapest thing on four wheels which probably will pump monoxide gas like the dickens, guzzle gas like nobody's business and we'd slowly find ourselves back to square one in terms of Go-Green and people would find themselves back to square 1 in terms of trying to find a cheaper alternative..

Very true... Me personally I would be fine with something that is fuel efficient. As you said though, discretionary trips will be cut out by some folks or reduced. I think they should just cut the stupid bonus, raise the base fare and do small increases on the express bus, MetroNorth & the LIRR if necessary, but you've got ridership on MetroNorth at record highs and the express bus in some areas is already fragile and the LIRR & MetroNorth is already expensive enough, so in a way they would be shooting themselves in the foot. I generally advocate for higher fares, but in this economy when folks are trying to get things turned around, modest increases should be done if any. Then you also have to think about the next fare increase in 2015...

I can sympathize with you. Life is very tough nowadays when it comes to achieving economic propserity and security, particularly in NYC. There is a way to get that slice of American apple pie however. It can be done, it's not impossible.

One huge factor into why the hikes, especially this upcoming one, hurts so much is the fact that unlike the past, the minimum wage has been a stand still for how long now? Usually, every so often, the MW gets raised as well. That hasnt been the case in about a decade. Now ofcourse, that's not the fault of the mta nor its riders, but it is IMHO a factor.

One huge factor into why the hikes, especially this upcoming one, hurts so much is the fact that unlike the past, the minimum wage has been a stand still for how long now? Usually, every so often, the MW gets raised as well. That hasnt been the case in about a decade. Now ofcourse, that's not the fault of the mta nor its riders, but it is IMHO a factor.

Not just that but bonuses are being slashed too at most companies which can be helpful. I'm one of the lucky ones in that case but like you said wages have been stagnant for most. It is very clear that prices are rising much faster than wages. Prices are rising quickly with everything and everyone is trying to defray the costs elsewhere. Same thing with the (MTA).

On a side note, I wonder how it will work with NICE and the fare hikes. I assume that if the base fare goes up, then you'll just see a step-up charge when you transfer from NICE to an MTA service. (And I assume you'd see fewer NICE riders buying unlimiteds, though I don't think a whole lot of them buy unlimiteds anyway). Unless NICE offers their own version of the unlimited pass.

Archived