MTA's four fare-hike options all hit riders hard

Harry

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The express bus fares may stay flat, but I'm sure the Unlimited Express Bus Plus weekly card will be raised. It has been raised twice since I started using it back in 2006 from $41 to $45 and from $45 to $50. You don't hear about it because for the most part express bus riders tend to be a bit more affluent and our size overall is far smaller in comparison to the number of subway and local bus riders, so there isn't as much screaming, though folks do certainly complain.

The same thing goes with MetroNorth & LIRR riders. Our increases are far more substantial as well. If you look at the Unlimited Express Bus Plus card for example I was paying $164 - 205 a month depending on how many weeks there are in the month. Now I pay $200 - 250 a month.

I could also see MetroNorth and LIRR fares going up too which I think are already high for what you get.

What I will say though is that the suburban communities feel as if they are raped by the (MTA) and pay too much unfairly because they don't have subway lines and rely on their express buses or MetroNorth or the LIRR.

I looked at some of the fares that MetroNorth charges for parts of Westchester and they are almost $400 in some cases for a monthly pass when you factor in that, plus a monthly Metrocard as well, almost 4 times what someone in the city pays for a monthly pass, so I know that it is a commuter train, but still. The folks in suburbs pay a lot for their transportation as well.

Nope inaccurate the monthly doesn't reach $400 until you reach Dutchess county!!!!!!

The other advantage is being able to get some exercise. I always fret that I'd become a fat slob if I had a car because when do you get any exercise? I notice that I did gain a little weight when I jumped in car service all the time because I barely walked anywhere, so there is some truth to that theory.

I must admit I gained a bit of weight during Winter 2011 while driving. But once Spring, Summer and Fall rolls in, the weight disappears and I may even lose weight. I occasionally play some sports (handball/basketball) after work/school at parks or gyms so it kind of balances out for me.

Here is a better Idea skyrocket farebeating fine to $200 or more jack up enforcement. Kill paper transfers within NYC. And keep unlimited fare down and increase cash fare to $2.50 or 2.75 keep pay per ride base fare the same and lose the bonus. This will hurt very few people but still generate revenue.

Totally agree with your suggestion to keep the unlimited fare down, while increasing the cash fare to $2.50 if anything. I think that's a good compromise. Admittably I'm looking at this subjectively as I always buy unlimited cards due to all the times I must ride the train every day.

Yes, beef up enforcement. I'm sick and tired of these metrocard scammers, they actually irritate me even more then farebeaters in themselves. At least farebeaters are not all in my face asking me if I want a swipe. Why? As I mentioned before I always use unlimited cards.

I like how people are saying rasie the Monthly Metrocards, HELL NO, I use monthly Metrocards every month, i rather them up the base fare 25 cents, and they need to fine these peices of shit 200-300 dollars for beating the fare, why should people who use the monthlys suffer, shit, my income isn't large but i still buy a monthly regardless, people CAN afford it if you don't buy bullshit, for those who have pay checks every week can afford a weekly card with no problem, im not in for a 125 dollar monthly metrocard, Hell Freaking NO!!!!, up the base fare, who gives a shit if the fare is 2.50, single rides are 2.50 and people don't whine about it

Parking in NYC is hell. Plus the breakdowns of cars...

Parking isn't that bad. If you know your area, parking is easy. Parking prices is bad in NYC. Breakdown of cars isn't bad either, if you take care of your car and know what runs bad and such. Car forums help a lot for that.

I just hope it doesn't reach $125. I realized that I can't stack on $2.50 cards, it'll be a waste for me. (If it comes to that.)

According to Fox 5 News, Joe Lhota says he leans towards raising the base fare to $2.50, which would keep the Unlimited Metrocards at reasonable rates, citing the fact that the increases, if enacted without the base fare being raised would hit the riders that use the system the most the hardest, mainly middle class residents. Does this mean that the (MTA) has made up their mind on this issue even though they claim to be seeking input from the general public? Only time will tell...

http://www.myfoxny.c...&autostart=true

If so, then that is the best news we can hear, VG8. Unfortunately, the price to ride the subway has to go up one way or another. But mot of the people who pay the base cash fare are occassional riders, like tourists. People who buy weeklies and monthlies are more likely to ride the subways and buses regularly. And many of them ride because it's either the best or the only option. They should not be the ones bearing the brunt of the fare hikes. The tourists and other occasional riders need to pay their "fare" share (pardon the pun).

If so, then that is the best news we can hear, VG8. Unfortunately, the price to ride the subway has to go up one way or another. But mot of the people who pay the base cash fare are occassional riders, like tourists. People who buy weeklies and monthlies are more likely to ride the subways and buses regularly. And many of them ride because it's either the best or the only option. They should not be the ones bearing the brunt of the fare hikes. The tourists and other occasional riders need to pay their "fare" share (pardon the pun).

On the other hand, the (MTA) seriously needs to get tough on farebeaters because if you continue to raise the fare, you're going to have more folks trying to beat the system and not pay. Most folks aren't seeing their salaries go up and therefore if they think they can ride without paying they may just start to do so and others may join them out of frustration for having to pay more when others aren't paying their share.

On the other hand, the (MTA) seriously needs to get tough on farebeaters because if you continue to raise the fare, you're going to have more folks trying to beat the system and not pay. Most folks aren't seeing their salaries go up and therefore if they think they can ride without paying they may just start to do so and others may join them out of frustration for having to pay more when others aren't paying their share.

But what can they really do on the matter? It's not like station agents can chase after them if they see them do it. This is honestly more or a less an NYPD matter and there needs to be more police officers on duty...especially those stations where it seems like there's virtually nobody around.

But what can they really do on the matter? It's not like station agents can chase after them if they see them do it. This is honestly more or a less an NYPD matter and there needs to be more police officers on duty...especially those stations where it seems like there's virtually nobody around.

You just stated what needs to be done... The (MTA) needs to be asking for more assistance from the NYPD and elected officials to pool sources together to tackle the problem just like they've started doing on Staten Island. It clearly can be done if they want to... They've already cited how much money they believe they are losing and quite frankly it is ridiculous to ask the riding public to pay more while others continue to ride for free.

You just stated what needs to be done... The (MTA) needs to be asking for more assistance from the NYPD and elected officials to pool sources together to tackle the problem just like they've started doing on Staten Island. It clearly can be done if they want to... They've already cited how much money they believe they are losing and quite frankly it is ridiculous to ask the riding public to pay more while others continue to ride for free.

At least I'm on the right page here. I've seen people hop the turnstile in front of station agents. Sometimes I have a hard time believing they're there to do more than sell metrocards to tourists. I always see people arguing with them too.

At least I'm on the right page here. I've seen people hop the turnstile in front of station agents. Sometimes I have a hard time believing they're there to do more than sell metrocards to tourists. I always see people arguing with them too.

Well the station booth clerks aren't really there for that purpose. They're there to watch out of course but this is a police issue AFAIC.

Well the station booth clerks aren't really there for that purpose. They're there to watch out of course but this is a police issue AFAIC.

Further compounding the situation is that S/A's can't go after 'em; IIRC the rule is to report such to the cops and let them handle it. But then again, there may not be enough cops...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived