Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
obregonmichael5

Who wants the Private Lines back? Me, You, not the MTA

Now don't go saying you don't miss those times in the past because you do! Even by Heart. You Miss those Triboro Coach, Queens Surface, Green Lines, Jamaica Buses, NY Bus Service, Liberty Lines Express, and even the Command Bus Lines. Now if these Bus Lines did still excist today, we could of still have the GMC RTS and MCI Classics and even the TMC RTS CNG running! Now your problaby wondering "what if they can bring them back but owned by the (MTA) "? well that would be great. my opinion is because all the fares (except for NYBS) will be the same as the (MTA)'s fare. Now Tell your opinion if you want them back and Talk about what you remmeber on those lines.... ^_^

Wow, riding almost 30 year old buses sure is great for passengers and for the operators.

• Upvote 12

Wow, riding almost 30 year old buses sure is great for passengers and for the operators.

it's sure is!
  • Upvote 1

I think the MTA should never have been given the responsibility of ordering buses for the PBLs, that was obviously their little plot to take them out by not buying them any buses. Plus, if the city still ordered the buses and kept funding the PBL operations, we'd see a lot of fleet variety between them and the MTA/NYCT.

If it were up to me, I'd bring back the PBL system right away. It'd save the broke MTA some cash (even though Bus Co. still gets city subsidies), we "foamers" would likely enjoy what the PBLs would bring us, and the taxpayers might save some too since privatization has proven to cost less than MTA operation such as in Nassau County. I just wouldn't want any of the big national/global companies like MV or Veolia running any of the buses, but I'd love it if Green, Triboro, Jamaica, Liberty, etc. would come back.

I think the MTA should never have been given the responsibility of ordering buses for the PBLs, that was obviously their little plot to take them out by not buying them any buses. Plus, if the city still ordered the buses and kept funding the PBL operations, we'd see a lot of fleet variety between them and the MTA/NYCT.

If it were up to me, I'd bring back the PBL system right away. It'd save the broke MTA some cash (even though Bus Co. still gets city subsidies), we "foamers" would likely enjoy what the PBLs would bring us, and the taxpayers might save some too since privatization has proven to cost less than MTA operation such as in Nassau County. I just wouldn't want any of the big national/global companies like MV or Veolia running any of the buses, but I'd love it if Green, Triboro, Jamaica, Liberty, etc. would come back.

But the (MTA) have alot of buses. so bringing them back on the exact route will bring the buses back. Like an example: the Q33 used to been owned by Triboro, so if we bring back all the triboro routes, the (MTA) can just repaint instead of ordering more. Because if you think about it, the (MTA) ordered too much buses since 2008, so their are still some of them that hasn't even run yet. So instead of waisting their money, they could of use the one that were never used or use the buses for the routes that use to been the PBL and repaint it (even if it's a new bus).

No WAY!!! The (MTA) has improved service a lot and we dont need to go back to that era of unreliable service. You would almost kill yourself sometimes just waiting for the Q8,Q9,Q41, Q22, Q19, Q102, B100, BM4 and the BM5(BQM1). If they went back to PBL days there will be no bustime, no Guide A Rides, Limited schedule information and so on. It was better that they all came part of the (MTA). The few routes in the PBL that had good service was the Q10, Q64(Q65A), Q110,Q111,Q113 and Q66 sometimes.

• Upvote 6

Here is what The Don would like to see. I want ALL PBLs back but owned and operated by somebody that can properly run and manage a TA. The MTA is a monopoly, and I would love for them to know how it would feel if somebody took THEM out. PBLs = variety.

Would I like to see the PBL paint schemes come back? Yes. Would I like the PBL's to come back in an operational capacity? Most definitely not.

Nassau County won't save much of anything at all. Most of it is a smoke screen. The MTA needs to stay as is, and the BC division will eventually become NYCT anyways. That's how it needs to stay. Overall, service reliability, and bus maintainability has improved now that the NYCT is running the show.

• Upvote 4

Nassau County won't save much of anything at all. Most of it is a smoke screen. The MTA needs to stay as is, and the BC division will eventually become NYCT anyways. That's how it needs to stay. Overall, service reliability, and bus maintainability has improved now that the NYCT is running the show.

Well I've always said in the past that I don't think privatization would work out in the long run in Nassau, but the PBLs of NYC have been in operation for decades. But, you're right about that, service has definitely improved under TA. PBL management could have run things differently, thing is I don't know if at the time that would've meant anything to the MTA since they were running the show as far as bus ordering went and they would've probably still denied the PBLs new buses even if their operations were statistically better than TA's. If the city was running the show with bus ordering and PBL operations improved, I'm sure they'd still be running to this day. I think the city should have simply threatened to stop subsidizing their operations if service didn't improve (as well as ordering the PBLs new buses), then maybe the PBLs would make enough improvements to avoid the MTA takeover or their contracts being awarded to other companies.

But the (MTA) have alot of buses. so bringing them back on the exact route will bring the buses back. Like an example: the Q33 used to been owned by Triboro, so if we bring back all the triboro routes, the (MTA) can just repaint instead of ordering more. Because if you think about it, the (MTA) ordered too much buses since 2008, so their are still some of them that hasn't even run yet. So instead of waisting their money, they could of use the one that were never used or use the buses for the routes that use to been the PBL and repaint it (even if it's a new bus).

I don't think you get what I was saying. Of course if the PBLs were to return today they'd likely get the current Bus Company buses, but future buses would be ordered by the City.

No WAY!!! The (MTA) has improved service a lot and we dont need to go back to that era of unreliable service. You would almost kill yourself sometimes just waiting for the Q8,Q9,Q41, Q22, Q19, Q102, B100, BM4 and the BM5(BQM1). If they went back to PBL days there will be no bustime, no Guide A Rides, Limited schedule information and so on. It was better that they all came part of the (MTA). The few routes in the PBL that had good service was the Q10, Q64(Q65A), Q110,Q111,Q113 and Q66 sometimes.

Agreed 100%, since the MTA took over, the Q8 and Q41 especially have drastically improved. I'd rather not see any sign of PBL service ever again

• Upvote 5

Agreed 100%, since the MTA took over, the Q8 and Q41 especially have drastically improved. I'd rather not see any sign of PBL service ever again

The B103 improved tenfold. Back in the PBL days, the last bus from downtown was at like 5 or 6 pm. Now with longer hours and improved stops (compared to the pick-up/drop-off style like the express buses), ridership soared through the roof.

• Upvote 7

Let's see if the PBL's still existed the following would still be happening:

The Q53 would still run non stop from Rego Park to Jamaica Bay

The B103 would still have the pick up/drop off style like an imitation express bus

30 year old buses meaning constant breakdowns

Routes like the Q9A would still exist

No new buses

None of the routes would be streamlined

• Upvote 1

The buses themselves have gotten way better since the MTA took over. I remember those same GMC RTS buses you are dreaming about--they were on GReen Line routes and let out so much black smoke that you could not even drive within 15 feet of the rear of the bus. The Air conditioning never worked, either.

Of the routes I took, thoses from Queens surface were the most reliable and clean. I didnt notice much of a change whethe MTA took those routes over.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how you figure the MTA ordered too many buses since 2000. And what do you mean there are buses that haven't even run yet? If they decaled some of the BC buses it would be great to see. However, the second you step away from the MTA brand, costs go up. Now if these routes attracted more revenue, one might have a case.

I also dont get the part where MTA has a monopoly? Almost every city has one main transit system. Now that MTA no longer operates Long Island Bus, it is no longer a regional operation. They only provide service to and within New York City. Thats not a monopoly. Its New York City Transit.

Those "nearly 30" (not even close in fact) year old buses had more charm and personality than you'll find in today's plastic boxes, that's for sure.

Edited by Metro4050
  • Upvote 1

Neither the private companies nor the MTA are completely perfect. For example, while I am grateful that the MTA has extended the Q72 into La Guardia Airport proper, the same cannot be said about the Q23. However, while under Triboro Coach's control, neither route entered LGA full-time.

I don't want buses with the back bumpers dragging along flatbush av & the gil hodges bridge, waiting almost 45 minutes for a Q11, 75 minutes for the Q21, buses where you had to hold on to the seat you were sitting in so you won't go flying out your seat if the bus hit a pothole, buses where the windows would swing outwards as the bus was in motion, the buses that reeked of piss just as bad as certain subway stations....

Are you kidding me? Wanting the PBL's back? yeah, no thank you.

Edited by B35 via Church
  • Upvote 7

Q35 as a pure limited runs way better at about 15 min intervals than when you had to guess/be lucky when they showed and sometimes they didn't even stop unless you flagged them down. I also don't miss the old buses they had: run down, decrepit, dirty...

The only 3 privates that I think were more or less fine were: NYBS, LL, QSC. JBI, I didn't use it as much, but their RTSs seemed pretty good, so that might be 4. (Command, I dunno, it's a tough call and I won't include it among the better ones because of the older buses.) But overall it was the Cooper owned buses that were in need of new management (mainly GL and TBC).

Those "nearly 30" (not even close in fact) year old buses had more charm and personality than you'll find in today's plastic boxes, that's for sure.

yes, becuase nothing says charm like mismatch patch repair jobs that were held togther by faith and duck tape...

the MTA may be a monopoly, but the PBLs were out and out failures. equpiment on thier last legs. no AC. you had to call ahead to make sure a wheelchair life equpied bus was on the run you wanted to ride.

As much as Green Lines will always have a place in multiple heart, they can stay away from operating, as well as the other pbls.

Routes like the Q113 have overnight service now. Express buses like the Qm17 have more service. Q22s and Q35s show up without having to guess when. The list goes on and on!

Would I like to see the PBL paint schemes come back? Yes. Would I like the PBL's to come back in an operational capacity? Most definitely not.

Will the fare collection change as well? From my understanding NYCT uses some type of vacuum device to collection the fare, while BC pulls a box then puts it in the wall to collection fare.

Guest MTA Bus

I would like to see the PBLs come back, however if they did bring them back, they should keep all of the service improvements that the MTA has made.

the Only company that i want to comeback is Jamaica Buses and Queens Suface, those were the 2 best besides LL and NYBS and command

I would like to see the PBLs come back, however if they did bring them back, they should keep all of the service improvements that the MTA has made.

If a line doesn't have the ridership to justify the expense, you can expect cuts to happen. It's gonna be on their dime than on the state.

I can't remember where I found it but someone put an (MTA) logo on either a GBL or Jamaica Bus RTS, and it looked awful. While it'd definitely make buses more colorful, the white-and-blue works.

At any rate, can we lock this?